Spearheading a project to build the REAL EPCOT

hugh009

Original Poster
YES, it's true I'm an entrepreneur that grew up with Walt Disney and the ORIGINAL Mouse Club! At 60 I have decided to undertake the biggest project of my career - build the REAL EPCOT as Walt envisioned it! Are you aware that the current EPCOT is nothing like Walt envisioned it? When Eisner and the bean counters took over Disney, out went the last project that Walt wanted more than anything. A REAL CITY that would feature the achievements for the future without hurting the environment. He wanted a domed center for a city and now with the technology we have available we can do that! In fact, the original plans are somewhere in the Disney archives. I have a person that is contacting Disney archivist Dave Smith to see if I can get a copy of those plans. Walt had planned a circular city with larger and larger circle radiating out from the center. The description is very much like the only one we have of the lost city of Atlantis!

What would you like to see in what I'm naming Walt Disney City?

peter11435

Just so you know Epcot the theme park was designed and built before Eisner came in. Eisner had nothing to do with the plans for Walt’s EPCOT being dropped in favor of EPCOT Center the theme park. That responsibility belongs to those in office before Eisner.

Aside from that if you are serious I wish you lots of luck. How do you plan on getting the funding (billions) to do this?

WDWFREAK53

hugh009 said:

Shrek :lol: (kidding)

a public transportation system that required zero automobiles and would not be capable of having automobiles run through it.

This is already in the works in Tokyo by the way...It hasn't been completely greenlit...but, the calculations have been done and the planning is already 100% complete.

jeffb

You could probably say that Eisner has come closest to building the original EPCOT via agreeing and building Celebration, but Celebration and EPCOT are quite different.

SpectroMan

Eisner was not around when the city EPCOT was cut. The Disney family and the people heading the company who were connected to Walt realized that the city could never take form. They realized that it was financially impossible with only the Walt Disney Co. building this city. If Walt would have been around, he would have been able to get the funding and the tech companies to help with the project.

Good luck, and I hope you succeed.

GothMickey

Ghostbuster626 said:
If you want to truely make an accomplishment in your life you should provide $25 million to Disney to sponsor the new Star Tours ride.

Maybe he can put a new Star Wars ride in the new city. :goodnevil

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A lot of E.P.C.O.T. opened on October 1st 1971 - it`s just not apparent to the casual viewer.

BTW; There was never going to be a domed city - this was a media tale. The central core of EPCOT was going to be roofed, like any regular building, with several domes dotted around it for natural lighting.

How about naming it `5th gate`?? :D

peter11435

marni1971 said:
A lot of E.P.C.O.T. opened on October 1st 1971 - it`s just not apparent to the casual viewer.

Excellent point.

marni1971 said:
BTW; There was never going to be a domed city - this was a media tale. The central core of EPCOT was going to be roofed, like any regular building, with several domes dotted around it for natural lighting.

How about naming it `5th gate`?? :D

Yeah. None of the models and plans I have ever seen had a dome over the city.

Pongo

Uhhh...

Good for you? It's definitely something I wouldn't take on.

Didn't Disney get criticized for being a Communist/dictator/etc. for trying to build a city like that?

I don't know. I just don't think EPCOT was really a very practical idea. Just my opinion.

I

I,Walt

hugh009 said:
YES, it's true I'm an entrepreneur that grew up with Walt Disney and the ORIGINAL Mouse Club! At 60 I have decided to undertake the biggest project of my career - build the REAL EPCOT as Walt envisioned it! Are you aware that the current EPCOT is nothing like Walt envisioned it? When Eisner and the bean counters took over Disney, out went the last project that Walt wanted more than anything. A REAL CITY that would feature the achievements for the future without hurting the environment. He wanted a domed center for a city and now with the technology we have available we can do that! In fact, the original plans are somewhere in the Disney archives. I have a person that is contacting Disney archivist Dave Smith to see if I can get a copy of those plans. Walt had planned a circular city with larger and larger circle radiating out from the center. The description is very much like the only one we have of the lost city of Atlantis!

Eiser Had nothing to do with epcot it was open Before he took over. I hope they remember one thing it all started with Walt.

SpectroMan

peter11435 said:
Thats just speculation.

I was going through the thought process of the company at that time. They thought it maybe could have made it if Walt was there, and I do not think it would have materialized with him there. I should have been more clear. I'm sorry.

uklad79

It's an outdated idea that wasn't built for a good reason. It would have bankrupted the company and it would have looked like a big ugly concrete 60's monster today. Anyone who dug out those plans at Disney and said "let's build it now just like the orginal plans we have loads of room in florida" would be drug tested then locked up in a mental home. :hammer:

Enderikari

Quoted from Walt Disney: An American Original Page 339

With his customary distrust of politicians, Walt Disney sought unprecendented freedom to develop a model city without interference. Donn Tatum pointed out that what he really wanted was "an experimental, absolute monoarchy." Walt raised an eyebrow and asked puckishly, "Can I have one?" "No," Tatum replied

Unfortunately, the state of Florida agreed, and would have never granted that kind of power to the Disney company, EPCOT the city was doomed to failure from the start

Tim G

Connor002 said:
Um... copyright issues?
Feasibility?
Investors?
Profit?

Will any of these questions receive answerers?

:eek: What do you think Connor.... just another misguided kid??? :rolleyes:

Maybe another wdwfantasmic, Thrawn or maybe Ghostbuster's evil twin??? :lookaroun

The most important thing is WHERE to build... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom