Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
I’m going to ask a question that probably no one can answer, but with so many dark rides with things Disney wants to hide in all theme parks, have they ever considered using that new Black 2.0 paint? The paint that’s hides all and blocks out light. I just think about rehabs where they could use this to hide track, supports, mechanics, structure, etc.

Can you imagine Spaceship Earth in the deep black of space or Peter Pan. A true dark ride experience...

Gringrinngghost

I’m going to ask a question that probably no one can answer, but with so many dark rides with things Disney wants to hide in all theme parks, have they ever considered using that new Black 2.0 paint? The paint that’s hides all and blocks out light. I just think about rehabs where they could use this to hide track, supports, mechanics, structure, etc.

Can you imagine Spaceship Earth in the deep black of space or Peter Pan. A true dark ride experience...

I would reckon safety and the fact that it would be a pain to paint over.

yensidtlaw1969

Black 2.0 is, in effect, essentially black tempera paint - when dry its surface feels very lightly "flocked", and the uneven texture absorbs a little more light. Unfortunately the effect not nearly as successful in person as it appears to be on the internet, certainly far behind Vantablack, which is actually so dark it's genuinely unsettling (and genuinely flocked). Black 2.0 also noticeably more fragile than acrylic or latex paints, and not really suited to industrial purposes. It also collects dust like mad, and so would require a high maintenence schedule to look good in a darkride environment for any meaningul period of time.

All of which to say the costs outweight the value.

Vantablack similarly requires intense upkeep, but at least it achieves a dizzying effect. Though you won't see it in Disney anytime soon, unless they get Anish Kapoor on retainer.

For the most part, high-quality Black Velvet and carefully monitored light levels are sufficient to make anything "disappear". They replaced the Blacklight fixtures in Peter Pan in the past 2 years or so and the difference it made is huuuuge.

EDITED To Add: Peter Pan Video stills from 2018 and 2019, respectively, because this matters so much to me - if you look past the difference in video quality you can see that the 2018 photo is full of purple glare and cast light wheras in 2019 only the phosphors in the blacklight paint are apparent and everything else sits back *Chef's kiss*

2018:
Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 2.00.42 AM.png

2019:
Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 2.01.25 AM.png

Last edited:

bcoachable

Black 2.0 is, in effect, essentially black tempera paint - when dry its surface feels very lightly "flocked", and the uneven texture absorbs a little more light. Unfortunately the effect not nearly as successful in person as it appears to be on the internet, certainly far behind Vantablack, which is actually so dark it's genuinely unsettling (and genuinely flocked). Black 2.0 also noticeably more fragile than acrylic or latex paints, and not really suited to industrial purposes. It also collects dust like mad, and so would require a high maintenence schedule to look good in a darkride environment for any meaningul period of time.

All of which to say the costs outweight the value.

Vantablack similarly requires intense upkeep, but at least it achieves a dizzying effect. Though you won't see it in Disney anytime soon, unless they get Anish Kapoor on retainer.

For the most part, high-quality Black Velvet and carefully monitored light levels are sufficient to make anything "disappear". They replaced the Blacklight fixtures in Peter Pan in the past 2 years or so and the difference it made is huuuuge.

EDITED To Add: Peter Pan Video stills from 2018 and 2019, respectively, because this matters so much to me - if you look past the difference in video quality you can see that the 2018 photo is full of purple glare and cast light wheras in 2019 only the phosphors in the blacklight paint are apparent and everything else sits back *Chef's kiss*

2018:
View attachment 492173

2019:
View attachment 492174

I love learning! Thanks for the lessons!

Dragonman

I wish more photos of Window Girl would pop up soon. We only have two good images, @marni1971 ’s edits of her, plus various blurry video screenshots.

I feel like people do have photos of her, they just don’t necessarily recognize her significance or remember they have the photo in the first place.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
What am I seeing in the window of the first picture? I'm sure it could be an optical illusion, but it kind of looks like Bicentennial Man in profile painted black. Is this a "What does that cloud look like?" scenario, or is there actually something there?

EDIT: Should've said "Rorshach test." It sounds more grownie-uppie.

Last edited:

Dragonman

What am I seeing in the window of the first picture? I'm sure it could be an optical illusion, but it kind of looks like Bicentennial Man in profile painted black. Is this a "What does that cloud look like?" scenario, or is there actually something there?

The window was completely painted over, so you wouldn’t be able to see her even if you tried unfortunately. I think you’re seeing a combination of the shadows from the light bars and aging paint on the window itself.

Lemanie

I always thought I saw something in that picture too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom