Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

Dragonman

just so we’re all on the same page:

1.) Window Girl

2.) Seated network operations lady. She was moved to a brand new created scene (the paperless office) in 1986, right next door to the network operations scene.

3.)Standing network operations lady. She stood at a desk staring at three large monitors. This was on the right Hand side of the track.

today, this is the area where foxy brown is positioned in the computer room

Thanks. That should help people out. Is it known what the standing network coms lady was reused for? Or was she stored away? @marni1971

Last edited:

Expo_Seeker40

I can’t believe over 10 years has flown by. I remember going on SSE in 06 and 07 seeing the window prior to renovations and then being walked off the ride from 180top down during an evac.

the structure is massive. Absolutely huge.

one thing to ponder about window girl: I wonder if her mouth moved as she did have dialogue between her and the astronaut in the original version and if they moved, were they left moving all the way until 1994.

Second thing to ponder: thanks to that home movie from 1985 we now know the final descent hill was basically untouched from 1982-1994.

Dragonman

I can’t believe over 10 years has flown by. I remember going on SSE in 06 and 07 seeing the window prior to renovations and then being walked off the ride from 180top down during an evac.

one thing to ponder about window girl: I wonder if her mouth moved as she did have dialogue between her and the astronaut in the original version and if they moved, were they left moving all the way until 1994.

Second thing to ponder: thanks to that home movie from 1985 we now know the final descent hill was basically untouched from 1982-1994.

I’ve heard she had arm, head, mouth, and eye movements. Whether she was reprogrammed in 1986 due to the dialogue being removed from the scene I’m not sure, since available footage of her (and the ‘86 version itself) doesn’t show any facial movements, just arm and head. Last known video footage of her was from April ‘94 before the Irons refurb:
276C5D81-C8E0-48BF-9F3D-620782ADDD59.jpeg

(She’s visible from 8:38-8:41)

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

All that changed was some of the projection footage and audio.

Expo_Seeker40

if Mich is scene K:
Maybe it’s:
Scene L: steam turbine
Scene M: Telegraph
Scene N: Newspaper boy
Scene O: Switchboard
Scene P: Cinema
Scene Q: radio recording booth
Scene: R family watching TV
Scene S: Network operations center
Scene T: space station

Dragonman

As old as this thread is, I’m quite curious as to how far back we can trace people trying to remember the space station/satellites/window girl outside this thread and the oldest known recordings of the scene that have been found so far..

@marni1971 would know if anyone.

Last edited:

Dragonman

I’ve been doing some more analyzing regarding the station. It seems in addition to being completely painted black, the ceiling portion of the station had a lot of its details removed:
4F91F3FD-1510-4976-A7FA-18A8A96B763A.png

371C46F7-68A3-4C06-922E-275BEECBD518.jpeg

If anyone has a picture of this section without the virtual classroom in the way, that would be even more helpful. @marni1971 can probably add more confirmation/details regarding this section and it’s alterations.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’ve been doing some more analyzing regarding the station. It seems in addition to being completely painted black, the ceiling portion of the station had a lot of its details removed:
View attachment 452099
View attachment 452100

If anyone has a picture of this section without the virtual classroom in the way, that would be even more helpful. @marni1971 can probably add more confirmation/details regarding this section and it’s alterations.
Sections of the station were removed for the classroom screen and supports. And for the laser and mist system.

I'm not sure I'm getting the scale of the people in the classroom diorama properly, and the last time I rode that version of the ride was 2004. Are those life-size? If so, the station set is WAY bigger than I thought...

SoFloMagic

Rode tonight and got stopped multiple times in the 180 top. Was up there for a good 5 minutes total, so my eyes fully adjusted. Was pretty awesome to actually be able to see the "moon surface" up there, and to see the space station with adjusted eyes.
Also, it's incredible how much you can still see in the down tunnel if you block the light from your TV. Such a treat!

Dragonman

It’s hard to believe the 14 year anniversary of this wonderful thread is coming up soon.

Here’s a couple of the previously mentioned network communications center elements that have yet to be seen fully in good quality unfortunately. Photos courtesy of @marni1971 .

Woman standing behind desk with 3 screens of data being written out (notice there was also a large mainframe computer behind her as well):
36415904-86DA-4872-9756-3A86AC9C1CFE.jpeg

72EFCAFA-5374-4B8F-B4A3-5F397CFFFC99.jpeg

Mainframe computer behind a pane of glass (this was on the left side of the track and would be replaced by the computer boy/paperless office scenes in 1986):
898F0ECC-E91E-48B1-A6E1-17A05A7D56BA.jpeg

Wall with angled windows and stars? behind it (this was on the right hand side and was unchanged up until 1994 along with the woman with 3 screens):
49C136E8-B65C-462A-902F-B305439FDEAB.jpeg

53E62C8E-DF54-4322-97C1-B3F33B219451.jpeg

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
This 14 yo thread "sparked" some real life friendships that I truly treasure. If it hadn't existed, well, it would be like a Thanos snap. Here's to M&M, J&D, CM, DD&M, and many more. Let's hope that October works out for all. (And CM, my virtual coffee buddy, lets hope we can have one in real life this fall)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom