Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
thanks martin... 600+ posts is a definate woo-hoo

question: did you get the $15 version or the granddy $30 version of jeff's videos. i think that im going to buy it so sam can see the early versions.

great analysis of the vids martin. i guess besides your vids that you are putting together.. the thread might be coming to a close. no more mysteries :mad:

Vernonpush

question: did you get the $15 version or the granddy $30 version of jeff's videos. i think that im going to buy it so sam can see the early versions.

great analysis of the vids martin. i guess besides your vids that you are putting together.. the thread might be coming to a close. no more mysteries :mad:
I'll spring for half of that $30 dollars, if you want to "share":lol:

Threads like this is one of the reasons I come to WDWMagic!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

The double disc Granddaddy version. As well as Irons the 2nd disc has another 2 Cronkite ride thrus; with different angles than the `master` disc.

I have the go ahead for the ceiling Composite, and we need to spend a few more pages about what I show in my forthcoming 180top video, so the thread isn`t dead yet :D

Vernonpush

Threads at WDWMagic are never "dead", someone will rekindle this one like all the rest:lol:, in a few years.

That is, unless we start talking politics & religion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The whole Futureworld loop. I believe there also used to be an Earthstation World Showcase loop but I never saw it run.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I just noticed the girl-in-the-window actually waving. She was an Animatronic! And I`m still not convinced in the descent mirror room the beams of light wern`t actually lasers. They seem to have all the charectaristics. I`ll look further.

joel_maxwell

The double disc Granddaddy version. As well as Irons the 2nd disc has another 2 Cronkite ride thrus; with different angles than the `master` disc.

I have the go ahead for the ceiling Composite, and we need to spend a few more pages about what I show in my forthcoming 180top video, so the thread isn`t dead yet :D
sweet.... ill have to start saving. vern you too.

Threads at WDWMagic are never "dead", someone will rekindle this one like all the rest:lol:, in a few years.

That is, unless we start talking politics & religion.
oh bother... that is definately on the list of 5 things never to talk about :lol:

I just noticed the girl-in-the-window actually waving. She was an Animatronic! And I`m still not convinced in the descent mirror room the beams of light wern`t actually lasers. They seem to have all the charectaristics. I`ll look further.
Hello and welcome to this 3rd edition to "Opening Pandora's Box"...... definately looks like the thread will survive once again

:D

Expo_Seeker40

Expo cannot go spend 30 bucks on amazing DVD's.....er he needs someone to kindly upload a video file or send him one of jeff's 180top segment and space station scene....please :kiss:

2epcot_shaman

Martin -

Now then, I got Jeffs SSE DVD today. Without sounding like I`m a salesman, I want to say the footage included must be some of the brightest, clearest moving images I`ve seen of Spaceship Earth 1986-1994. If this subject interests you at all I have to say you could do far worse than check it out yourself. And it features a 2 mic live recording mix with superb Cronkite narration and some great soundbite moments of effects and AA dialogue. It`ll be a great guide as I continue to mix my ultimate full 3 verse Tomorrows Child audio track ;)

Martin - Did you by any chance notice any white ceiling pannels while watching Jeffs SSE DVD? Did the descent tunnels appear any brighter in Jeffs DVD?

2epcot_shaman

Martin - descent tunnels in Jeffs DVD?

Now then, I got Jeffs SSE DVD today. Without sounding like I`m a salesman, I want to say the footage included must be some of the brightest, clearest moving images I`ve seen of Spaceship Earth 1986-1994. If this subject interests you at all I have to say you could do far worse than check it out yourself. And it features a 2 mic live recording mix with superb Cronkite narration and some great soundbite moments of effects and AA dialogue. It`ll be a great guide as I continue to mix my ultimate full 3 verse Tomorrows Child audio track ;)

Martin - Did you by any chance notice any white ceiling pannels while watching Jeffs SSE DVD?

Did the descent tunnels appear any brighter in Jeffs DVD?

From what you say about his DVD, I'm thinking about picking it up !!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
White ceiling pannels - no. One of the clips has a great close up, steady shot of the ceiling in all it`s multi flashing light glory, but the entire core just had 2 light sources it seems - the red strips, and the white light behind the window AA. The ceiling is there, but illuminated red (guess that`s what you mean?) I have pieced together a composite from a lot of info on this thread of the core. It`s too messy to post as a photo, so I`m going to draw it and scan it.

Speaking of illumination, it`s looking like the Satellites had no light sources themselves. There was mention a while back of an old spotlight being seen, but I now have 5 videos of 180top and non have the props illuminated. It seems they were just about visible to the naked eye - cameras show shapes; indeed Jeffs shows the big sat astronaut just about (grey against black) but it was almost as if they were intended to be more of a suggestion on the peripheral vision than an actual weenie. However, watching the vids since you came so close to them you couldn`t miss seeing them.

As for the descent tunnels, Jeffs vids really do show them better than I`ve seen. You can make out the mirror joins and outlines, the `laser` beams (I`m still not convinced they wern`t actual lasers) and also as I mentioned above hithero unseen graphics and art on the walls. Plus there`s a lot of film loops on the 52ft level screens I`ve not seen before. Remember though there`s the 2 disc DVD set with all 3 videos; the single set just has one ridethru (the one that flows best) - I`m not selling it, I just don`t you saying you can`t see things on the single DVD that I`ve mentioned when they`re on the 2nd disc.

I think the one outstanding question about the core is - here we go again - the red strip lights and their position in relation to the rear core wall (the wall behind them as you look form under the window cylinder) - for a meoment I though they ran along the join of the wall and ceiling (the shape matches) but they`d be far too big for this, plus the 2 side `wings` that are a little dimmer than the 3 center strips wouldn`t fit properly. I`m suggesting the strips were a foot or 2 away from the walls, but followed the ceiling/wall join in shape. Hopefully it will be clearer (!?) on my sketch.

I may even tackle the Tchild rooms and try to figure out the actual shape of the walls and screen positions....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And now, using a lot of the data in this thread, may I present 180top 1982-1994, the Martin version. I`ve exaggeratred the colour to give better definition, and think of the picture as a `fish eye` wide angle lens so you can see the whole space, from the vantage of standing in the descent tunnel entrance.

Attachments

• 180top sketch.jpg
    180top sketch.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 328

jasondiff

Great drawing Martin! It seems that although the satellite had no lights on it, it drew the rider's attention because there was pretty much nothing else to look at straight ahead or on your left.

XS-Spence

First off; sillykid - welcome and thanks :D

I just think I may have to get these. Are they the same ones from Mousebits?

Enigma

Account Suspended
I just noticed the girl-in-the-window actually waving. She was an Animatronic!

Yea that was before Disney got cheap. I always wondered why nobody noticed how once you start the part of the ride that was changed in 1994 all you see is essentially manaquins and lame christmas light style stuff. The old ending flowed with the rest of the ride using AA charecters. That was an early indicator that budget-cuts and doing things on the cheap were the way of the land.

Epcotrob

Nice Drawing there Martin. So this thread will survive again with the red strip lighting. I love the single disc movie that was presented to me. I am now waiting for the mail to bring me my companion disc as well as my Energy Disc. I think im in the Energy Disc with jeff in the lounge. We will see. Anyway i just had to say Great drawing. Thats the stuff that keeps us going.

joel_maxwell

hey martin, great drawing. had to save this one too. lol

i guess it would make sense that the red lights would appear to be the end of the pannel ceiling as you have shown. it is like they are representing the end of the Space Station and possibly marking a docking bay of some sort. who knows.

uontplano

Martin:

Great drawing! Looking at the picture, it looks like the window with the AA girl waving is wider than I thought it was. Was the window wider than the board they used to cover it up in the '94 rehab?

I've been following this thread for sometime now, and it's great to have all of this discussion!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Glad you all like the picture :D

uontplano - the sketch shows the window in false perspective - it was taller when looking straight at it. I believe the original window was as tall, but the actual AA `square space` visible in the videos occupied only a portion of it.

I just think I may have to get these. Are they the same ones from Mousebits?
Nope - Jeffs DVDs arn`t at mousebits. His footage is different to the ones I used in my SSE tributes :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom