Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

mayoki

Original Poster
I'm new to this forum and want to thank everyone for such interesting information on SSE and keeping me up really late on a number of nights!!:lol:

Wow, great pics. Welcome to the boards, and the thread. Those are amazing pictures, just as revelant now as they would have been 400 posts ago. Thanks!:sohappy:

If anyone else is out there with pics of SSE from this time frame, remember, it's never too late!!!

Epcotrob

I saw the pics and was inspired..... To go to Epcot for dinner (Yakitori House) and for a few rides on SSE tonight. The 180 was very dark tonight. I dont understand why that laser effect is where it is, or for that matter what it represents. The rest of the ride was very bright but the top was as dark as I ever remember it being. I saw that weird reflection in the classroom scene. Cant say as I remember seeing it before.

The Mak

I have witnessed said light effect in the past, and I have noticed it directing my field of view towards the time tunnel, not unlike the yellow and black reflector signs on a sharp highway curve. It's a transitional effect.

"Hay guyz, youre about to go through teh intarwebz. LOL this way plz" [sic]

jasondiff

I agree - you can begin to see it just before you go into the globe thing, so it catches your eye and lets you know something is coming, instead of going into the black hole.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well... I go away working for 4 days, come back and the earth is off its axis, the moon is a balloon and cats and dogs are living together...

WOAH! Let me take all this in, answer 20-odd emails, plough through the forum and give it a good read :D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hehe.... I`ve got to get the money together for October 1st :D

Imagine if I`d found the imageshack bandwidth exceeded notice... argh! :lol:

2epcot shaman - welcome, and thanks! Great pics. Of course, the most revealing is that the small sat was suspended. I`ve often thought if it was supported from below, due to the closeness to the ride vehicles, you might be able to see the support. This does mean what I thought was the old base of a support post was something else. Looking at the big sat pic, yes - that is the small sat behind it. I`d still say the small sat was before the TV screen - in the area we thought it was - and not closer to the core. There isn`t a lot of track between it and the core anyhow, hence it looks close in your photo, but I think if it was where the news screen is it`d be too close; the videos we have show a bit of distance between the 2 sats. Plus the length of support `wires` show it was very close to the edge of 180top; the news screen is further towards the center. Also note in the big sat pic you can see the `truss` behind the solar pannel, giving the model some depth.

The white ceiling pannels are interesting; even with a flash, they shouldn`t be this white! Perhaps they were white all along? We`ve been so used to the dark grey of todays 180top pics of them, and obviously unlit video shows them very dark too. Makes me wonder was the girls cylinder lighter too? Sadly, you still can`t see the red strip lights; I believe they were just off the bottom of this photo. Indeed that may be the edge of one at bottom right.

I`m still working on the vid; there`s a few things I`m waiting for to use to verify / add and it`ll be ready. It`s just short of 20 minutes upto now :) I`m also planning to do a scene by scene layout of the whole attraction(s) using the cutaway images I posted recently. Work however is quite daft at the mo, so I can`t say when. I`m also working on a WDW Transportation history vid, but that`s another story :D

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Well... I go away working for 4 days, come back and the earth is off its axis, the moon is a balloon and cats and dogs are living together...

WOAH! Let me take all this in, answer 20-odd emails, plough through the forum and give it a good read :D
:sohappy:

he's back. woo-hoo. like following forest gump running through the desert. lead on martin lead on.

BTW, just an anology, not impling that your are forest gump esk

jasondiff

Well, here's the closesup of the side of the "Exit door" building, showing the pole/rod/i-beam whatever is connected to it.. And I think you can see a airline-cable style rig attaching to the roofline of the building too to further support the beam, suggesting this beam stuck out of the side of the building to support some sort of prop or device that is hidden from view by the quickly and crudely erected sound proofing wall.

There's no reason for it to be in panels evenewhere else but then cut in an an irregular shape right there...

100_2541.jpg

I think I figured out why that panel is cut irregularly like that. Right behind that panel is the projector for the news screen. When I rode last week, every time I could see that the projection was coming from there. (Thanks, dust!) It's at a very sharp angle to the news screen, so it doesn't seem a likely spot, but I could definitely see the light coming from a projector back there. I assume there are lenses or whatnot that can allow a projector at that angle to throw a normal-looking rectangular image on the news screen.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ahh.... the thread returns!

Jeff has posted some new close up pictures of the Astronaut and Satellite at http://www.jefflangedvd.com:80/ - check them out. Wow! And his DVD sounds good too!

The 180top video is still on its way BTW; I`m tweaking it to make the simulation part even better. As I said before, I`ll post news of it in this thread.

animay

You can clearly see in the third satellite photo that the astronaut has the same ridges on his suit as the one that's currently in Space Mountain. I am totally convinced that he's from the old 180top display now. I think the hands matched the astronaut from the smaller satellite, but he's definitely one of them.

cupanudles

Slightly OT but worth mentioning...

Hey there guys, I don't want to get off topic here, but www.disneyenquirer.com has posted this:
Walt Disney Imagineering registered a Cruise Control Kiosk Package for Siemens Spaceship Earth. Perhaps someone out there who knows what a Cruise Control Kiosk Package is would have more information.
Anoyone know what this is?:wave:

brkgnews

Hey there guys, I don't want to get off topic here, but www.disneyenquirer.com has posted this:
Walt Disney Imagineering registered a Cruise Control Kiosk Package for Siemens Spaceship Earth. Perhaps someone out there who knows what a Cruise Control Kiosk Package is would have more information.
Anoyone know what this is?:wave:
Quick googling turned up this...
CruiseControl 1.1 by Intellience
CruiseControl is a powerful tool to record and playback browser sessions with Internet Explorer.
It can automatically log you in to the web sites that you use. Remembering passwords is now a thing of the past.
You can highlight data and CruiseControl's AutoPilot retrieves that data on a scheduled basis. Using AutoPilot, you can now always stay up-to-date with your account balances, reward points or whatever you would like to monitor.

Not sure if that's what it is, but it being a computer thingy, it's possible it'd fit in a kiosk. ;)

joel_maxwell

Ahh.... the thread returns!

Jeff has posted some new close up pictures of the Astronaut and Satellite at http://www.jefflangedvd.com:80/ - check them out. Wow! And his DVD sounds good too!

The 180top video is still on its way BTW; I`m tweaking it to make the simulation part even better. As I said before, I`ll post news of it in this thread.
martin, how do you thik that jeff got the angle of the big satelite in the top right picture. doesnt it look like he is on top of the core by staircase 5...... eerrrr, wait, is he on that platform? i might have missed some detail about his description of his DVD that now, looks incrediably interesting to order and see. has anyone viewed it?

EDIT: and now with the picture that is a lot brighter, i would say that it is pretty clear the 2 are the same from SSE to SM postshow. wow, interesting

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Looking at the picture, and from what I remember, you travelled this close to the satellite in the ride vehicles. The astronaut was on the Omni side of the satellite, but perhaps the camera was held high to be next to the mannaquin.

I`ll let you know what the DVDs are like soon - but they do sound good :D

joel_maxwell

Looking at the picture, and from what I remember, you travelled this close to the satellite in the ride vehicles. The astronaut was on the Omni side of the satellite, but perhaps the camera was held high to be next to the mannaquin.

I`ll let you know what the DVDs are like soon - but they do sound good :D
jeff lange must have really long arms.... man, that is a weird angle.

yey, let me know about the DVD and i might just have to treat myself to an early Bday present.

sillykid

Martin You Rock!!!!!!!!1
I have been reading this post since before we went back to Epcot (Feb.5-12). I log on each day to see new news on this post. I have yet to figure out the torrents on mousebits, but am positive that this is the same AA from SM. I look forward to new and exciting news about the 180 top and thank you all for your passion for answers and love for Epcot and Disney.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
First off; sillykid - welcome and thanks :D

Now then, I got Jeffs SSE DVD today. Without sounding like I`m a salesman, I want to say the footage included must be some of the brightest, clearest moving images I`ve seen of Spaceship Earth 1986-1994. If this subject interests you at all I have to say you could do far worse than check it out yourself. And it features a 2 mic live recording mix with superb Cronkite narration and some great soundbite moments of effects and AA dialogue. It`ll be a great guide as I continue to mix my ultimate full 3 verse Tomorrows Child audio track ;)

The interesting details from 180 top onwards I`ve found in the DVD:

The first satellite was positioned just before where we thought it was - that is slightly before the curve into the core.

The astronaut was hanging at more or less rider head height - this answers the question how the flash pic a few pages back got so close to it. You really did ride this close to the prop.

Also, the astronaut and the window girl were at roughly the same level - this was also about guest head height before you entered the core.

The roof of the core had a lot more flashing lights than I thought; they stretched all the way back to the window.

The red strip lights had a bit more detail at the sides than I knew. I`ll ask Jeff if I can do a composite pic of the core roof with this new evidence. It really was very detailed!

During the first descent section, the rotating gobos were projected onto screens, and also what look like angled support beams. I can`t tell if these were structural, or props to look like the tunnel had beams around it.

During the Tomorrows Child scene, there were a LOT of thin cables across the ceiling void, which were illuminated like neon tubes to look like lasers. I wasn`t aware there were so many, and assumed they were liquid neon or similar as in WoMs center core.

The walls of the final TC descent (around the final 3 projections in the wall) had a lot of futuristic `circuit pannel` patterns painted on them in what looks like UV paint.

And a radical theory; we knew mirrors were involved for the TC projections. It seems to me now that virtually ALL the child projections seen in the ride were mirrored from screens above and behind the ride vehicles; that is the screens were facing up the ride track and we only saw them reflected in mirrored walls in front of us.

I`m about to try an enhancement of the footage to look for anything else, I`ll post any results here of course. I should also add the DVD has the whole of the Earthstation ceiling projection loop too - something I`ve been asked for more than a few times myself.

EDIT - post 600 in this thread! Woohoo!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom