Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I'm the one who said SSE vehicles (yes, two of them) were parked behind Wonders of Life.

They have big blue fitted tarps/pleather-covers over them.

I wouldn't be suprised if it was one of these that made its way to Disney University (unless they got another one out of the ride) so that they can inspect and determine how to go about the upgrades.
sorry to misquote the info..... big MERF. lol

martin: ouch, drawing in photoshop is so painful to me. i still havent forced myself to draw in illustrator... im an old macromedia fan (freehand) for all my vector based and web stuff. you know im here if you need any assistance redrwaing anything... as george castanza said, "this is what i do"

:D

great diagram number 3. great for reference. now, not to sound pushy about a diagram with elevation/stairs/lifts... lol kidding.

Vernonpush

The `94 layout has been ammended :lol: And the nightshoot was very wet and very windy - for a time. We wrapped 2 and a half hours early (thanks, Tim!)

I use Adobe Photoshop for my drawings; though I was educated on Deluxe Paint 1-5 on the Commodore Amiga for those with long memories :D

Since it seems this diagram shows the track layout well, here`s a version with the sections as described in this thread:

Incredible drawings! If you could, please, what scenes correspond to which colour? If you have the time, that is. I L O V E this thread!

jasondiff

I just rode SSE 4 times over the past 2 days. Checked out a couple things reported here.

The green laser effect is right before the time tunnel, just after the globe thing you ride through. Working both times over the past 2 days.

The star spinner effects I saw, now that I knew what I was looking for. They move so slowly that you almost can't tell they are moving. They are more noticeable when you see them from further down the tunnel, it is a little more noticeable that they are moving.

I talked to a CM at the exit for a while (I have his name but I'm not going to post it). All of this is thus rumor related from a CM:

They are working on the postshow almost 24/7 because they want to have it open in 4-6 weeks, because they want it open when the rest of the ride goes down. Approx April 20 was the date given, though it's just an estimate. The ride will go down for several weeks to install video screens in the vehicles and new show scenes. The screens will be interactive with something in the postshow area and the new show scenes being installed. Everything up to and including the 50's TV scene will remain but the scenes after that (the two kids communicating and the globe thing) will be changed. Not sure about the time tunnel.

Work is also going on in the corp lounge. All of the glass/chrome/acrylic is being torn out and the area completely reconfigured. The old lounge did not use all of the available space but the new area will utilize more of the space and therefore be bigger overall.

Martin, I hope the ride is running when you are here this summer! I haven't seen anything official about the rehab dates on any Disney web site.

I have a couple of pictures of the rehab walls outside including a glimpse of the rehab of the outer wall near the exits on the side. Nothing exciting but I can post them if someone wants to see it.

EpcotMark

That green laser effect before the time tunnel is the dumbest thing I ever seen in Spaceship Earth. Its like barely 12 inches big! No point to it. The ride will be down for several months, not weeks, beginning in July. Ride screens are likely a go in the vehicles, though me thinks at this point its a dumb idea.:veryconfu The Test Track vehicles' screens are many times messed up, and we never look at them anyway.

Sadly, the ride will probably be down through October 1st and beyond. That's so sad for those wanting a great 25th Anniversary party. (Please write for a Illuminations Tag to the company instead.) However, the removal of the wand could make up for it. I like Spaceship Earth mostly for the way it is. We underappreciate the musical score in the attraction as well. It is so beautifully done, especially at the top. The only thing I could tolerate being replaced is the re-adding of Tomorrow's Child, but I like the Bach Sinfonia Finale music the way it is. But whatever happens with the ride, we can only count on changes. I just hope they don't ruin the most attended attraction at Walt Disney World too much.

joel_maxwell

That green laser effect before the time tunnel is the dumbest thing I ever seen in Spaceship Earth. Its like barely 12 inches big! No point to it. The ride will be down for several months, not weeks, beginning in July. Ride screens are likely a go in the vehicles, though me thinks at this point its a dumb idea.:veryconfu The Test Track vehicles' screens are many times messed up, and we never look at them anyway.

Sadly, the ride will probably be down through October 1st and beyond. That's so sad for those wanting a great 25th Anniversary party. (Please write for a Illuminations Tag to the company instead.) However, the removal of the wand could make up for it. I like Spaceship Earth mostly for the way it is. We underappreciate the musical score in the attraction as well. It is so beautifully done, especially at the top. The only thing I could tolerate being replaced is the re-adding of Tomorrow's Child, but I like the Bach Sinfonia Finale music the way it is. But whatever happens with the ride, we can only count on changes. I just hope they don't ruin the most attended attraction at Walt Disney World too much.
i agree about the green laser since merf reported it was back up a few weeks ago. i had really never taken notice to it.... and on video, it looks like some kid with a funky laser pointer playing around.

secondly, i feel the video screens will take away from what you are supposed to be looking at, the show scenes. what is going to be display on the screens that is that important. hopefully ill be surprised.

and as for the 25th ann. on october 1, that is a major blow if it isnt open and maybe a reason not to travel all that way. it is by far the number 1 in line to celebrate the 25th with.... to bad you cant hug it. lol

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
LCD screens in the cars are a big mistake; not only will they combine to illuminate the ceiling above (think under Michelangelo for example) a train of illuminated squares snaking away infront of you will be a big distraction. I`d rather they spent the money on large LCDs in the queue and at load to get rid of the ascent tube ones.

If SSE is shut for October it`ll show the total lack of understanding park management has not only of the significance of the date, but of the park as a whole. But up to now it`s just a rumour. We assume a rehab is coming, but when and to what level we don`t know.

mayoki

Original Poster
:shrug:
I'm confused...why would SSE be going down for a few months, they seem to have been doing a slow overhaul of the ride over the past 6 months. Would all that time be needed for the new vehicles? I did read in this thread there may me a redo of the end of the ride, so I guess that might make more sense.

I agree the screens would seem to be a waste and a distraction, but we'll just have to wait and see what WDI has in mind.

animay

Maybe the screens will stay off until the descent, and then you do something interactive on the way down. That might be fun.

Ooh, maybe choose your own descent music. Tomorrow's Child returns. :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ not new vehicles, vehicle rehab. Hopefully some padded seats too!

It can take a long time to rehab SSE; anything going into or coming out has to either pass via the ascent or descent tubes, or in the elevator. That invariably means carrying it or using one of 3 service Omnimovers. Just fitting and wiring anything to all 154 vehicles would take a long time. Plus, remember, SSE is landlocked. Anything big would need to be transfered from backstage to the attraction after park closing - one would have thought they`d have done GN after the ride, and used the original Earthstation building as a work / storage area.

And why oh why do we need anything interactive; there is far too much to look at already. Keep the interacting to Buzz Lightyear and Turtle Talk. Unless post rehab we`ll be able to choose how the ride will end; space, sea or land.....

animay

And why oh why do we need anything interactive; there is far too much to look at already. Keep the interacting to Buzz Lightyear and Turtle Talk. Unless post rehab we`ll be able to choose how the ride will end; space, sea or land.....

Well, as a compromise with management, what if they bring back the tomorrow's child ending with the many screens of children running around and add Buzz Lightyear lazers to the front of the cars? :lookaroun:lookaroun

Thelazer

I'd suspect the screens would be used for the ascent and descent tunnel sections and NOT in ball sections of the ride itself.

I'd also suspect that the there would be an option you choose to have subtitles displayed in your own language on the screens (Only if you choose.)

I'm also expecting some kind really grand projection/3d effects to be used in the new finale of the ride.

Figment82

I heard a rumor that they wanted to have the ending a la Horizons with a "choose your own adventure" deal. So it could be something like that, where the panels stay dark until a certain point (like Horizons), although I'm sure the technology has increased just a teensy bit since then!

joel_maxwell

^ not new vehicles, vehicle rehab. Hopefully some padded seats too!

It can take a long time to rehab SSE; anything going into or coming out has to either pass via the ascent or descent tubes, or in the elevator. That invariably means carrying it or using one of 3 service Omnimovers. Just fitting and wiring anything to all 154 vehicles would take a long time. Plus, remember, SSE is landlocked. Anything big would need to be transfered from backstage to the attraction after park closing - one would have thought they`d have done GN after the ride, and used the original Earthstation building as a work / storage area.

hmmmm, are you meaning there are 3 vehicles that they can place on the track that resemble flat bed, possibly?

yes, one would think that they would do that martin, but im sure Seimens would rather get thier logo all over the post show before a potential rehab.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
hmmmm, are you meaning there are 3 vehicles that they can place on the track that resemble flat bed, possibly?
I don`t know if they are permenant, or can be swapped in and out, but apparently cars 1, 43 and 106 were originally designated as maintainence cars. The 28ft level had a `car storage room` too. Any resident CMs know?

And I agree Siemens would want us to know who sponsors the building at every opportunity. Still seems a bit daft having a post show with no attraction for a while; Earthstation will just be an exhibit space during the rehab. And who out of the TT/ M:S/ Soarin' crowd will visit unless they have to?

joel_maxwell

I don`t know if they are permenant, or can be swapped in and out, but apparently cars 1, 43 and 106 were originally designated as maintainence cars. The 28ft level had a `car storage room` too. Any resident CMs know?

And I agree Siemens would want us to know who sponsors the building at every opportunity. Still seems a bit daft having a post show with no attraction for a while; Earthstation will just be an exhibit space during the rehab. And who out of the TT/ M:S/ Soarin' crowd will visit unless they have to?
word!

Rob562

I'd suspect the screens would be used for the ascent and descent tunnel sections and NOT in ball sections of the ride itself.

I'd also suspect that the there would be an option you choose to have subtitles displayed in your own language on the screens (Only if you choose.)

Hmmmm.... Maybe not subtitles, but perhaps a "choose your own language" for the audio commentary? If the refurb includes an overhaul of the audio system and they went digital, they could always record 6 or 7 versions of each audio section. When you get in your car, you can choose which language you hear through the headrest (or it defaults to English)

Of course, this would mean either one selection per car, or possibly per seat, though if the back seat had a different language going than yours, that might be odd. CMs would have to ensure that two different parties aren't seated in the same car.

Though subtitles *would* negate those problems... (And allow hearing-impaired people to follow along, rather than try to read a script in the dark)

I don't know if the headset translator devices they have now work for SSE or not...

-Rob

brkgnews

I suppose they could use those privacy filter things you can get for notebook computer screens. That would eliminate a lot of the side and top lighting you'd get seeing all the screens lined up in a row through the ride.

As for updated projection in the finale, that'd be awesome. We've already seen what just a small upgrade did for the cloud projection in the battle scene at PotC. Imagine the entire Milky Way swriling about you, complete with satellites, comets, and shooting stars in the 180 top!

Mr.EPCOT

I suppose they could use those privacy filter things you can get for notebook computer screens. That would eliminate a lot of the side and top lighting you'd get seeing all the screens lined up in a row through the ride.

But if these are supposed to be interactive touch screens, wouldn't those privacy screens interfere with their functionality?

dolbyman

But if these are supposed to be interactive touch screens, wouldn't those privacy screens interfere with their functionality?

protective screens for your pda or gps navigation also have no effect on the touch screen (most of the time)

beachclubbasics

If SSE is going to close for refurb for a few months this late summer/fall, when do you hink they will announce it?

If SSE is going down I'm going to cancel the 8/2007 trip and reschedule my trip for summer 2008 as HM AND the Teppanyaki room are both already going to be closed while I'm threre this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom