Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

cloudboy

in a nutshell, the 180/top part of SSE changed on the 94 rehab. there was 2 satelites... a girl in the cone, and some other features that have changed since. in the 94 rhab, some of those features have changed as well since then.

we are tyring to figure out exactly were those components where by old photos and videos.

a side project was the hatch and lift system to the roof.

that is it in a nutshell.

"Nut" being the key word here, as in "we're all nuts for getting so obsessed over this"!

Rob562

I believe that is the view up to the left as you ride down and see the "graduation scene" on the right. It is between the classroom and 'fiber optic city'.

You know, I saw that pic and was wondering why it looked like people in graduation caps, but now that I know where the cutout is located, it makes sense. The reflected part of the graduation set would be *behind* these cutouts, so the cap-and-gown cutouts would block a little of the bottom of that scene. I'll bet that what you see from the vehicle is that the cutouts add depth to that view, making it look like a row of graduates in the front row at the graduation. Like the black silhouettes on Mystery Science Theater.

Who knows. The patterns of this cutout wall might play into the other sets, too.

-Rob

mousermerf

Account Suspended
A bit of info...

The CM tours that have been going inside of Spaceship Earth have ended their run, the final tour being given last week. The CM who posted about the tour over at Laughingplace said they were told the ride would be going down for much of the summer.

Notes of interest - they do clean the ball, they climb down/rapelle from the top, so obviously the lift still works (as we've seen it cleaned recently).

Another interesting note, that the triangular vehicle dividers were meant to have holographic/projected narrators rather then just the audio narrators, but the effect didn't work right or was too costly and got cut.

Combine that with the concept art seen backstage of in-vehicle screens, and it looks like someone working on the project has been going back to the earliest concepts for SSE for inspiration.

brkgnews

A bit of info...

The CM tours that have been going inside of Spaceship Earth have ended their run, the final tour being given last week. The CM who posted about the tour over at Laughingplace said they were told the ride would be going down for much of the summer.

Notes of interest - they do clean the ball, they climb down/rapelle from the top, so obviously the lift still works (as we've seen it cleaned recently).

Another interesting note, that the triangular vehicle dividers were meant to have holographic/projected narrators rather then just the audio narrators, but the effect didn't work right or was too costly and got cut.

Combine that with the concept art seen backstage of in-vehicle screens, and it looks like someone working on the project has been going back to the earliest concepts for SSE for inspiration.
Now that's some interesting info, merf. Maybe we'll have a brand new shiny SSE for EPC25 (inside and out). That'd be a nice "instead of" to have if we can't have a big ol celebration (which we're doing on our own anyway).

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
A bit of info...

well, there goes the thought of qutting my job and becoming a CM so i could see everything frst hand.

good post merf.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Another interesting note, that the triangular vehicle dividers were meant to have holographic/projected narrators rather then just the audio narrators, but the effect didn't work right or was too costly and got cut..
This, if true, had certainly been dropped by 1981. Unless it was a potential `94 addition?

Going down this summer.... VERY interesting.

Rob562

This, if true, had certainly been dropped by 1981. Unless it was a potential `94 addition?

Going down this summer.... VERY interesting.

This was the first time I've heard of them being anything but dividers between each pair of cars.

I believed the main reason for their existence was for audio separation between the vehicles. Because the Spaceship Earth vehicles are much more open than the high-backed Doombuggies on HM, it would make it very distracting to have the audio in the car RIGHT behind you not be the same as yours.

I knew I'd seen an early sketch of the SE vehicles, so I hunted around and found it: The Imagineering book, page 113. It's labeled as being the "initial concept" sketch, and it looks very much like that is there today. The separator is shaped a little differently, but it's still pretty much the same.

But I will admit, there *is* a panel on the side of the separator car that has an arrow pointing to it, but whatever reference text the arrow was pointing from was cropped out of the artwork shown in the book. It may have been some sort of display panel, or a paint color suggestion or just a backlit panel. It's still facing sideways, though, so you wouldn't be able to see it while on the ride, so if anything, perhaps it factored into the boarding platform.

-Rob

Epcotrob

A little off topic but I saw a SSE vehicle behind Disney University the other day. Just sitting next to the chain link fence. I will see if I can go by and get a picture of it.

joel_maxwell

A little off topic but I saw a SSE vehicle behind Disney University the other day. Just sitting next to the chain link fence. I will see if I can go by and get a picture of it.
yey, i think you refered to this the other day but i think you said behind WoL.... oh well, doesnt matter, definately get that pic. i need some schematics of the area so when i break in and "borrow" it.

:D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
yey, i think you refered to this the other day but i think you said behind WoL.... oh well, doesnt matter, definately get that pic. i need some schematics of the area so when i break in and "borrow" it.

:D
Rob, if you manage to get close enought for the picture can you also get the car number?

Does anyone have a definitve number for the amount of ride vehicles? I have 151 or 154, with 3 or 4 spares, and 3 maintainence cars (#s 1,43 and 106)

Below are the descent layout sketches I mentioned earlier this week;

Attachments

• SSE 86 descent.jpg
    SSE 86 descent.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 264
  • SSE 94 descent.jpg
    SSE 94 descent.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 220

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That is fantastic. The track layout inside the ball never made sense to me before. Hard to visualize.

BTW, the 'Child Curve' text got left on the '94 image
DOH! I`m rushing before a wet and windy night shoot... I`ll correct it later. If I don`t be sure to nag me!

joel_maxwell

Rob, if you manage to get close enought for the picture can you also get the car number?

Does anyone have a definitve number for the amount of ride vehicles? I have 151 or 154, with 3 or 4 spares, and 3 maintainence cars (#s 1,43 and 106)

Below are the descent layout sketches I mentioned earlier this week;
excellent as always martin. kudos! what programs do you use to draw your diagrams?

wow, sounds like you have a fun night ahead of you.... lets see, it should be around 4 or 5pm there. am i right? have a good one with that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The `94 layout has been ammended :lol: And the nightshoot was very wet and very windy - for a time. We wrapped 2 and a half hours early (thanks, Tim!)

I use Adobe Photoshop for my drawings; though I was educated on Deluxe Paint 1-5 on the Commodore Amiga for those with long memories :D

Since it seems this diagram shows the track layout well, here`s a version with the sections as described in this thread:

Attachments

• SSE track layout floor levels.jpg
    SSE track layout floor levels.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 266

PBarton

The `94 layout has been ammended :lol: And the nightshoot was very wet and very windy - for a time. We wrapped 2 and a half hours early (thanks, Tim!)

I use Adobe Photoshop for my drawings; though I was educated on Deluxe Paint 1-5 on the Commodore Amiga for those with long memories :D
Deluxe Paint on the Amiga??

Why does that give me images of King Tut! LOL

:wave:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I'm the one who said SSE vehicles (yes, two of them) were parked behind Wonders of Life.

They have big blue fitted tarps/pleather-covers over them.

I wouldn't be suprised if it was one of these that made its way to Disney University (unless they got another one out of the ride) so that they can inspect and determine how to go about the upgrades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom