Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
It definitely made it easier for me to spot these.
I haven't ridden in a few months, but I typically take my cap and cover the screen with it to make it easier to spot things on the descent. Obviously there are plenty of other screens shining in the other cars, but (in my experience) covering the one closest to you helps quite a bit for your eyes to adjust and see some of those details (the graduation caps, etc.) once you're past the spaceship.

vikescaper

What are the chances we see 180 top restored to its former glory in the refurb? The rumor I’ve heard is that the budget’s been cut from a full thematic overhaul to just a heavy refurb. What are the chances this could still include the top and the descent?

What frustrated me about the initial proposal was that the top of the ride and the descent are in dire need of attention while the ascent scenes just need a fresh coat of paint, but for some reason all sorts of money was supposed to be spent altering scenes on the ascent that don’t need it with no word on the second half of the ride.

Even if they don’t do a full overhaul of 180 top, they could at least paint the space station white and light window girl back up.
I would seriously love it if they brought 180 top and the descent back to their former glory!

Dragonman

Found another video of the 86 version that has the best view yet of the right side Comms Center, showing us a better look at the AA and the screen projections. There are also blurry views of the large satellite Astronaut and Window Girl.
52DEB69C-D09D-44DD-AE7D-6D54C995D910.jpeg

muddyrivers

That would involve turning off the safety speil which they won’t do. I wish they would play the warning right before the 180 room so we could appreciate the room in all its majesty without it.
I don't understand why they play this safety spiel so often in this attraction. While the descent in SSE is longer, you get turned around and descend backwards in an Omnimover in the Haunted Mansion and they don't blare a constant warning at you.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

KikoKea

I haven't ridden in a few months, but I typically take my cap and cover the screen with it to make it easier to spot things on the descent. Obviously there are plenty of other screens shining in the other cars, but (in my experience) covering the one closest to you helps quite a bit for your eyes to adjust and see some of those details (the graduation caps, etc.) once you're past the spaceship.
We do (or, rather we did) the same with our jackets. It was interesting to see evidence of the old SE, but it was also very depressing. I remember the descent being amazing and awe-inspiring; now, it is just a clanking ride backwards down a dusty tunnel with a few pitiful props showing up in the dim light. Harsh words, I know, yet sadly true. It is one reason we haven't been back in a long while.

JoeCamel

We do (or, rather we did) the same with our jackets. It was interesting to see evidence of the old SE, but it was also very depressing. I remember the descent being amazing and awe-inspiring; now, it is just a clanking ride backwards down a dusty tunnel with a few pitiful props showing up in the dim light. Harsh words, I know, yet sadly true. It is one reason we haven't been back in a long while.
At least they made the outside as purdy at night as it is during the day

KingMickey13

Is it just me, or do those hanging lights on the descent make people dizzy? I’ve never had motion sickness on anything ever in my entire life, but being in that room makes me get a headache if I don’t cover my eyes.

Centauri Space Station

Is it just me, or do those hanging lights on the descent make people dizzy? I’ve never had motion sickness on anything ever in my entire life, but being in that room makes me get a headache if I don’t cover my eyes.
Not sure but I felt sick watching scenes during the descent of the 94 version that I don’t get when looking at the screen Infront of me

bcoachable

I had the opportunity to run the 10 miler a few weekends back- every speed bump, hard turn, and wet surface had a “caution Athletes speed bump ahead” (or other obstacle) on repeat and blast… the voice was super Similar to the “vehicle is turning backwards” spiel on our beloved SE… my question to those that are in the know- is it the same person doing all these announcements?

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
About halfway down the descent, if you look up and to the left (about a minute after you see the spaceship, give or take), you can see one of the old dioramas from the 94 version that they never removed. This one depicts a row of people with a couple of them wearing graduation caps. It looks almost like a plywood cutout that was painted black. Supposedly many of the dioramas are still there, just hidden in the dark. I saw a few other cool things, like areas in the walls that were set in a few feet where scenes used to be, but this was the only actual diorama that I could spot. This was the first time I didn’t play the build your own future game so I could sit back and look for remnants, and it was WELL worth it. Very cool stuff.
Are there any pictures of these remnants available anywhere?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom