News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This week I re-watched all three parts of @marni1971's excellent Ultimate Tribute to SSE. That Irons version was so....epic. The descent especially was just awe inspiring - with the Cronkite version being a close second.

There's a lot to love about the current version - the score is great, Dench does a great job with a less than stellar script, the upgraded animatronics are awesome, but the Irons version was just the complete package from start to finish.

I'd rate the versions in this order, from best to worst.

1. v3 (Irons)
2. v2 (Cronkite)
3. v4 (Dench)
4. v1 (Dobkin)

I wonder where v5 will land in that ranking?
Vic Perrin ;)

RoysCabin

Vic Perrin ;)

Ha, I was at a Disney theme park trivia night a few months ago where one question was to name all the Spaceship Earth narrators. I didn't get credit because I said Vic Perrin and the people running it thought it was someone else in the original spot. If I remember correctly, I think a Marty Sklar book mentions someone else in the role in passing, but I think it's more fun if I insist I have a legitimate grievance to bring before the International Court of Disney Trivia Appeals.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ha, I was at a Disney theme park trivia night a few months ago where one question was to name all the Spaceship Earth narrators. I didn't get credit because I said Vic Perrin and the people running it thought it was someone else in the original spot. If I remember correctly, I think a Marty Sklar book mentions someone else in the role in passing, but I think it's more fun if I insist I have a legitimate grievance to bring before the International Court of Disney Trivia Appeals.
Yes. Marty got it wrong.

RoyalFool

Tom Hiddleston will be the new 2022 voice, mark my words.

Did my last ride on this the other week, but the boy decided it would be funny to hit a random flag the moment we sat down so I didn't understand a word of it. Any news on if they are getting a new sponsor for 2022? on the one hand a sponsor would ensure a healthy budget for the renovations, but on the flip-side it also means they'll change the show to whatever that sponsors agenda is.

Slowjack

This week I re-watched all three parts of @marni1971's excellent Ultimate Tribute to SSE. That Irons version was so....epic. The descent especially was just awe inspiring - with the Cronkite version being a close second.

There's a lot to love about the current version - the score is great, Dench does a great job with a less than stellar script, the upgraded animatronics are awesome, but the Irons version was just the complete package from start to finish.

I'd rate the versions in this order, from best to worst.

1. v3 (Irons)
2. v2 (Cronkite)
3. v4 (Dench)
4. v1 (Perrin)

I wonder where v5 will land in that ranking?
1. Irons
2. Perrin
3. Cronkite
4. Dench

I always found Tomorrow's Child treacly, and Cronkite sounds like he's reading to fulfill a contractual obligation. I know I'm in the minority on that! The Perrin version seems dry now, but it was serious and thoughtful in a way that typified the original EPCOT Center.

mikejs78

Premium Member
1. Irons
2. Perrin
3. Cronkite
4. Dench

I always found Tomorrow's Child treacly, and Cronkite sounds like he's reading to fulfill a contractual obligation. I know I'm in the minority on that! The Perrin version seems dry now, but it was serious and thoughtful in a way that typified the original EPCOT Center.
No score = deal breaker.

DoleWhipDrea

So with they finally remove the interactive screens on the ride vehicles?

This is what I keep wondering about. I'm thinking that they might be removed due to the loss of sponsorship from Siemens...the touch screens reflected their own technology and brand.

Regardless, I would much rather have physical scenes brought back for the descent. Most visitors to the parks carry touch screen that give them access to a whole world of information wherever they go. The question is how the concept of storytelling will come into play here. With the concept of Future World no longer applicable, will Spaceship Earth even look much at the future of storytelling?

Dan Deesnee

One thing I always hate is that the screens are so bright, I like for my eyes to adjust to the darkness of the ride to take in all the details. I usually just ensure its on English then let the kids hit whatever they want.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
1. Irons and Cronkite. I love the score and descent in the Irons version, but 'Tomorrow's Child' and 180 Top in the Cronkite version have me unable to pick a winner between the two.

3. Perrin
4. We'll see...

If the script is better, v5 could take over 4th place, maybe even 3rd. But the script in the Dench version is just dreadful. I award you no points. Least favorite version at this point.

Snow Queen 83

I wish they would just leave it alone. It's almost perfect the way it is, except for the Mastodon/Willie Mammoth scene.

Besides isn't there other places that they can use the construction workers?

Monorail_Orange

I wish they would just leave it alone. It's almost perfect the way it is, except for the Mastodon/Willie Mammoth scene.

Besides isn't there other places that they can use the construction workers?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom