News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

mikejs78

Premium Member
I'm not thrilled and have been mad regarding SSE. As soon as I saw the Polynesian scene...that's the freaking eagle ray that is Moana's grandmother reincarnated. They aren't kidding me, they're going to ruin it with freaking IP. :facepalm:
@marni1971 correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought you said somewhere else that this light thingy wasn't IP being added to SSE and that you'd elaborate... Any insights you can share?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 I remember you saying that you were concerned about this refurb. Are you still concerned now that it's been officially announced?
Not as much as I could have been. I found out about the redressed scenes a few weeks back.
@marni1971 correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought you said somewhere else that this light thingy wasn't IP being added to SSE and that you'd elaborate... Any insights you can share?
I don’t know a lot about this. I understand the light thingy is more like a new host as opposed to an IP infusion.

It could even be I/O :D

gustaftp

I don't see the light being a big problem. If it's representative of a new host, it can be used to draw your attention to different parts of each show scene instead of only being directed by a disembodied host. This could be a neat effect and even helpful for the hearing-impaired. I'm imagining some sort of fiber optic effect like what the 1994 version used at the end of the descent, but instead being more of a ribbon linking each scene together. This would have the effect of showing how human history is a progression.

sedati

Fixed that for you. It`s one of the more interesting images from the presentation.

View attachment 401988

It's my own personal big blue box only they put it right smack in the middle of the park to obscure their greatest icon. Of all the structures that should have been been set below ground, this is it.

Question remains- is this an indoor queue or just exit only?

sedati

So far as I know - which is limited so far with this - a new build.
Certainly looks different here:

Also notice there are two parallel paths along side it. Outer for park, inner for Spaceship Earth?

sedati

Perhaps that is will load and unload will be reacted to? The back of SSE in this new building?
There were rumors of expanding the track, perhaps for a new scene one, final scene, or both. With the losses Epcot has had I mentioned long ago how this ride could easily become a sort of mission statement attraction that loosens its theme and incorporates some bits from UOE and Horizons which still seems possible from the new storytelling perspective.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Question remains- is this an indoor queue or just exit only?
An earlier design circa 2016 had the queue entrance at the rear - that would be about where the pathway in the shade is. This led directly to today’s entrance. However I now understand there should be an interior preshow and queue for the new version. Where this actual entrance will be I don’t know.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Pure speculation, but I could see them pivoting away from communication as technology and changing the emphasis to the global community, the world coming together a la world Showcase. It seems like (based on interviews I've seen) they still somewhat understand that element of the park, even if the whole future world concept is lost in them.
Seems I wasn't too far off the mark here...

Oddysey

I don’t know about the rest of you but I’ve been around here long enough to be able to translate Disney PR bull$#!+ into reality.

For example, from their Epcot Press Release talking about the new 3 story platform l: “It will provide a stunning elevated view of the entire park and an ideal spot to witness Epcot’s nighttime spectacular.” Actually means “it will provide an economical way for us to maximize the revenue from unannounced fireworks dessert parties”

Back to SSE, they are gently breaking the news that they will be changing the theme of SSE to make it more palatable to add IP.

Communication to storytelling is an easy step and hey you know what goes with storytelling? Our library of movies!

I think you are absolutely on to something with the dessert parties, and if not dessert parties, I suspect the top floor will be monetized in a way that encourages exclusivity in its use.

Not sure about TDO adding IPs to SSE. I didn't see that in the presentation, and am slightly optimistic about the project. However, I took note that Chapek was very cautious while talking about changes to SSE and used encourable language to preface any change he was about to announce. His uncomfortable vibe with that portion of the presentation made me a little cautious about the future of SSE. In other words, I didn't see IPs in the presentation, so I will not jump to conclusions until I see more evidence; however, I would not be shocked in the least if there is IP inclusion.

GeneralKnowledge

I think you are absolutely on to something with the dessert parties, and if not dessert parties, I suspect the top floor will be monetized in a way that encourages exclusivity in its use.

Not sure about TDO adding IPs to SSE. I didn't see that in the presentation, and am slightly optimistic about the project. However, I took note that Chapek was very cautious while talking about changes to SSE and used encourable language to preface any change he was about to announce. His uncomfortable vibe with that portion of the presentation made me a little cautious about the future of SSE. In other words, I didn't see IPs in the presentation, so I will not jump to conclusions until I see more evidence; however, I would not be shocked in the least if there is IP inclusion.

Trust me that they may not have plans to add IP on this iteration but it’s a stepping stone. This was an easy transition and down the road it’ll be an easy transition to add IP to a ride that’s about storytelling.

Oddysey

Trust me that they may not have plans to add IP on this iteration but it’s a stepping stone. This was an easy transition and down the road it’ll be an easy transition to add IP to a ride that’s about storytelling.

In all I think you have made some strong and reasonable observations. Maybe my optimistic approach is just me hoping against hope.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom