News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

wdwgreek

An earlier design circa 2016 had the queue entrance at the rear - that would be about where the pathway in the shade is. This led directly to today’s entrance. However I now understand there should be an interior preshow and queue for the new version. Where this actual entrance will be I don’t know.
A Preshow for Spaceship earth how interesting. I find that Omnimovers with preshows sometimes have operational problems when too many people are shoved into the preshow room prior to the loading bay especially when the loading bay is too small, ie haunted mansion in florida. Do you imagine the preshow to be a formal preshow or more of a queue scene setting experience.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A Preshow for Spaceship earth how interesting. I find that Omnimovers with preshows sometimes have operational problems when too many people are shoved into the preshow room prior to the loading bay especially when the loading bay is too small, ie haunted mansion in florida. Do you imagine the preshow to be a formal preshow or more of a queue scene setting experience.
Early days yet.

RoysCabin

Not sure how to feel yet; such a great part of the attraction to me is the power of communicating ideas and knowledge, and while storytelling can play into that it feels more limited, and, as mentioned, more attuned to adding in whatever characters and Disney-owned content they want to get in. That said, my first instinct is to think it won't be getting an IP infusion any time soon...if it did, I think that'd be it for me as a parks fan, it'd just be a leap too far.

britain

I wonder...

Will the attraction essentially become "A Hero of a Thousand Faces"?

We see people telling the story of Gilgamesh... Moses... Odysseus... Robin Hood... (could use a few more women, here!) Tarzan... Sherlock Holmes... Luke Skywalker!

Hey @marni1971 - here's the perfect scene to use during the decent from the top:

Maybe they could throw in a few Great Movie Ride figures too. ;)

Last edited:

OSUPhantom

The presentation seemed to indicate most if not all of the existing show scenes will be staying and just viewed through a different lens (stories versus communication technology). I don't think Disney will need to change much of the scenes at all if this is the new vision. The narrative of the scenes may change (instead of talking about Rome's road network it'll talk about Roman myths).

UNCgolf

The presentation seemed to indicate most if not all of the existing show scenes will be staying and just viewed through a different lens (stories versus communication technology). I don't think Disney will need to change much of the scenes at all if this is the new vision. The narrative of the scenes may change (instead of talking about Rome's road network it'll talk about Roman myths).

I wonder how they will split up the Greek and Roman scenes since there's a lot of overlap between them for storytelling, or if they'll just eliminate one of them and replace it with something different.

Sir_Cliff

Not sure how to feel yet; such a great part of the attraction to me is the power of communicating ideas and knowledge, and while storytelling can play into that it feels more limited, and, as mentioned, more attuned to adding in whatever characters and Disney-owned content they want to get in. That said, my first instinct is to think it won't be getting an IP infusion any time soon...if it did, I think that'd be it for me as a parks fan, it'd just be a leap too far.
While still a great attraction (IMO), I do think Spaceship Earth stands out as a bit odd in the context of the current EPCOT for its very specific focus on the history of communications. Thinking through how to adapt it to still serve as an attraction which introduces and ties the rest of the park together while remaining true to the spirit of the original, storytelling seems like a pretty good compromise as the new focus. It's kind of clever as they can also make it tie in to World Showcase if they make a point about how different people in different cultures have told stories through history.

I do, though, share the concerns that it will be a very small leap to a future executive standing up at D23 and announcing that Disney's classic stories will be woven into the attraction as the audience cheers wildly and we all on here.

britain

Hopefully the centurion will be talking about the myth of the looping white chariot...

DCLcruiser

The road network allowed them to spread their story around the known world...

Frankly, communication and storytelling are the same thing in the context of hiSTORY. So, this upgrade will not require much of a change. I'd assume only the modern scenes will be altered. Less about new technology from garages and telecommunication, more about movies/tv/radio shows.

mikejs78

Premium Member
While still a great attraction (IMO), I do think Spaceship Earth stands out as a bit odd in the context of the current EPCOT for its very specific focus on the history of communications. Thinking through how to adapt it to still serve as an attraction which introduces and ties the rest of the park together while remaining true to the spirit of the original, storytelling seems like a pretty good compromise as the new focus. It's kind of clever as they can also make it tie in to World Showcase if they make a point about how different people in different cultures have told stories through history.

I do, though, share the concerns that it will be a very small leap to a future executive standing up at D23 and announcing that Disney's classic stories will be woven into the attraction as the audience cheers wildly and we all ***** on here.
SSE hasn't been about the history of communication since 2007.

DCLcruiser

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom