News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

tirian

They're going to execute this correctly or they're going to execute SSE.

The latter is more likely. And remember, this is the better scenario of the two options planned for SSE!

I’ve been on board with all the changes coming to Epcot except this. “The power of storytelling” sounds like the most idiotic change yet, replacing our infamous “Thank the Phoenicians” from Judi Dench.

Brer Oswald

They way that they’re trying to rewrite this clearly will position themselves to insert what they believe is “good Disney Storytelling” as scenes in the later half of the ride.

If we’re lucky, the ride ends on Uncle Walt telling the story of Snow White to his boys, followed by Walt giving the Epcot presentation that took place decades later. If that’s what happens (which it won’t be) I think we’d be pretty well off. It’d be an excellent tribute to the man we look up to, and honestly, it would make for a better attraction overall than what we have (so long as the “storytime fairy” is subdued and not loud or obnoxious).

What we most certainly will get is a bunch of 2009 - Present Disney Singalong IPs, with animatronics of Bob Iger and Bob Chapek standing on a podium where the current Globe is now.

Now if we’re super lucky, one of the descent scenes will be Iger and Zenia scheming, while our own TP2000, in animatronic form, ghost writes the Al Lutz blog, martini in hand.

tirian

They way that they’re trying to rewrite this clearly will position themselves to insert what they believe is “good Disney Storytelling” as scenes in the later half of the ride.

If we’re lucky, the ride ends on Uncle Walt telling the story of Snow White to his boys, followed by Walt giving the Epcot presentation that took place decades later. If that’s what happens (which it won’t be) I think we’d be pretty well off. It’d be an excellent tribute to the man we look up to, and honestly, it would make for a better attraction overall than what we have (so long as the “storytime fairy” is subdued and not loud or obnoxious).

What we most certainly will get is a bunch of 2009 - Present Disney Singalong IPs, with animatronics of Bob Iger and Bob Chapek standing on a podium where the current Globe is now.

Now if we’re super lucky, one of the descent scenes will be Iger and Zenia scheming, while our own TP2000, in animatronic form, ghost writes the Al Lutz blog, martini in hand.
I’m envisioning screens featuring clips from new Disney+ shows, Marvel movies, and Star Wars sequels.

smile

...except the Jeremy Irons version was the best one yet.

sure, if you prefer an at&t commercial instead of a proper decent
... cronkite* also carried far more gravity as someone who personified the progression, having had evolved along with the actual ride timeline

irons set the stage for dench, who set the stage for the story light... thanks, tirian ;)

why do i always think his name starts with a k?

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

I dunno, incorporating Walt and the Epcot presentation just sounds like it'd get really revisionist-y really fast and it'd just inspire endless waves of Disney fans audibly correcting the ride that the park is not what Walt wanted.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
View attachment 401944
Indoor queue or just the exit? Mural looks like a sideways map.
Fixed that for you. It`s one of the more interesting images from the presentation.

1566774486330 copy.jpg

tirian

sure, if you prefer an at&t commercial instead of a proper decent
... cronkite* also carried far more gravity as someone who personified the progression, having had evolved along with the actual ride timeline

irons set the stage for dench, who set the stage for the story light... thanks, tirian ;)

why do i always think his name starts with a k?
The descent wasn’t a commercial until you reached a single sign at the very bottom, and SSE operated without a sponsor for years. It was no different than the Bell Telephone sponsorship with Cronkite, and the scenery was more impressive than video loops for “Tomorrow’s Child.”

However, I forgot about Cronkite’s space scene in the 180 top! Can we say Cronkite had the best ascent, Irons had a stronger descent, and Dench had the most advanced AAs? Because I agree that the storyline and awful script set up the Dench version to be our new Storybook Pal.

ninjaprincesst

I will wait and see on the changes, what I am concerned with is the closing date, mu daughter bought the spaceship earth dress from the Disney dress shop , the spaceship earth mouse ears, and all for getting her picture made in front of spaceship earth, it is really going to make me mad if all that money was spent and there is just a giant construction wall. i hope they will at least wait until 2020 to close it. It sounds like for the next several years Epcot is going to be one giant construction wall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom