News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

tparris

I think this refurb is a great opportunity for Disney to replace the Alucobond panels, as they are almost 40 years old and are starting to get kind of grimy.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If I recall, the work to remove the cars is a living nightmare, as there is only a single crane and freight lift that can be used to remove them. Im amazed the ride system has held on for this long...I cant think of another Omni ride that puts that much stress on itself with the massive height changes and length.
The cars can be relatively easily swapped out. Spares are kept in the building. Car bodies are physically lifted off the bogies at the 52ft level.

Getting them out the building is fun. As you said they have to go in the central elevator.

The upcoming work could see a lot of track and vehicle work.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
I think this refurb is a great opportunity for Disney to replace the Alucobond panels, as they are almost 40 years old and are starting to get kind of grimy.
Ha,

One Imagineer: "I think we are going to need bigger scrims"
Second Imagineer: "Why?!?! We did not use them when we built GOTG"

That would be a serious amount of scrims but if they do ever replace the panels without, it will be a tremendous and long-lasting eyesore. o_O

tparris

Ha,

That would be a serious amount of scrims but if they do ever replace the panels without, it will be a tremendous and long-lasting eyesore. o_O
I would assume they would do small sections at a time, and probably wouldn’t even bother with scrims

KBLovedDisney

Ha,

They could always get a giant golf ball cleaner :cautious:

EngineerMom

My guess is they don't want the park's signature icon to be dated and clunky with all the milestones upcoming. Or worse breaking down and forcing an unplanned closure.
The ball is iconic to Epcot but I wouldn’t call it the signature ride at this point
We enjoy it but I could see where a refurb makes sense.
I don’t understand why they would tear down the building that is after the ride. I think getting rid of the science hands on my things at Epcot is a mistake. Adding rides to countries makes sense.

Kamikaze

Really, truly, glad you don't make ANY of the decisions or have any influence over those that do.... Updates and remodels are a GOOD thing.

What @iHeartDisneylandCats described is more or less how the DLR 50th worked, however. They refurbished/updated everything they could before the start of the 50th. They tried to keep downtime to a minimum during the celebration, although that isn't always possible.

Yes, updates and reimaginings of a ride are (usually) a good thing, but the argument can be made that this should have started already so it would be ready for 2021.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom