• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rumor Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

MickeyMario

This is a large project. Far far bigger than the 1993 changes let alone 2007.
And how did something like this even get approved?

Considering what happened to UoE and GMR, this seems like a perfect project for a classic attraction (not knowing the details at least)

Advertisement
My guess is they don't want the park's signature icon to be dated and clunky with all the milestones upcoming. Or worse breaking down and forcing an unplanned closure.
The ball is iconic to Epcot but I wouldn’t call it the signature ride at this point
We enjoy it but I could see where a refurb makes sense.
I don’t understand why they would tear down the building that is after the ride. I think getting rid of the science hands on my things at Epcot is a mistake. Adding rides to countries makes sense.

tigerlight

SSE is the park icon for EPCOT. If it were down for WDW's 50th anniversary that would be just plain dumb IMO. I believe that every single attraction resort-wide should be open for the entire celebration, except for attractions that require annual maintenance such as Splash. If they want to overhaul SSE they either need to start very soon or put it off until 2023, which is most likely when the 50th will be completely done.
Really, truly, glad you don't make ANY of the decisions or have any influence over those that do.... Updates and remodels are a GOOD thing.

Kamikaze

Really, truly, glad you don't make ANY of the decisions or have any influence over those that do.... Updates and remodels are a GOOD thing.
What @iHeartDisneylandCats described is more or less how the DLR 50th worked, however. They refurbished/updated everything they could before the start of the 50th. They tried to keep downtime to a minimum during the celebration, although that isn't always possible.

Yes, updates and reimaginings of a ride are (usually) a good thing, but the argument can be made that this should have started already so it would be ready for 2021.

tigerlight

What @iHeartDisneylandCats described is more or less how the DLR 50th worked, however. They refurbished/updated everything they could before the start of the 50th. They tried to keep downtime to a minimum during the celebration, although that isn't always possible.

Yes, updates and reimaginings of a ride are (usually) a good thing, but the argument can be made that this should have started already so it would be ready for 2021.
Was there for the 50th at DL. That was near the end of the "let's be as cheap as humanly possible/Pressler era." There was lots of bunting, a cool fireworks show, thank god the buildings were finally painted (maintenance had been awful in the years prior), and YES everything was running... and a few attractions even got minor plusses. However, I think most people would have happily traded all of that for some mega new attractions/major ongoing renovations...

SSE up or down, we'll have a bunch of mega new attractions to celebrate for the 50th.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
Was there for the 50th at DL. That was near the end of the "let's be as cheap as humanly possible/Pressler era." There was lots of bunting, a cool fireworks show, thank god the buildings were finally painted (maintenance had been awful in the years prior), and YES everything was running... and a few attractions even got minor plusses. However, I think most people would have happily traded all of that for some mega new attractions/major ongoing renovations...

SSE up or down, we'll have a bunch of mega new attractions to celebrate for the 50th.
Currently SSE is looking to be closed October 2021. But the primary focus of the 50th will be the MK.

Top Bottom