• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rumor Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

Epcot_Imagineer

Last I had read, SSE was limited to getting only a standard refurb in 2019 and that was that. Does there seem to be a change in those plans for having the 2-year refurb become the next refurb? And if so, does anyone have an indication for what sparked this move-up in schedule? The leak people have been referencing, fear of park attendance decline, serious technical problems with the ride, or a combination of all of the above?

EDIT: Of course I neglected to see the marni post from early this morning. Obviously there is quite a change! My question about the schedule re-arrange still stands; though I doubt any info can be shared.

jt04

Last I had read, SSE was limited to getting only a standard refurb in 2019 and that was that. Does there seem to be a change in those plans for having the 2-year refurb become the next refurb? And if so, does anyone have an indication for what sparked this move-up in schedule? The leak people have been referencing, fear of park attendance decline, serious technical problems with the ride, or a combination of all of the above?
My guess is they don't want the park's signature icon to be dated and clunky with all the milestones upcoming. Or worse breaking down and forcing an unplanned closure.

Bender123

I’d suspect the ride system will be looked at in depth.
If I recall, the work to remove the cars is a living nightmare, as there is only a single crane and freight lift that can be used to remove them. Im amazed the ride system has held on for this long...I cant think of another Omni ride that puts that much stress on itself with the massive height changes and length.

tparris

I think this refurb is a great opportunity for Disney to replace the Alucobond panels, as they are almost 40 years old and are starting to get kind of grimy.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
If I recall, the work to remove the cars is a living nightmare, as there is only a single crane and freight lift that can be used to remove them. Im amazed the ride system has held on for this long...I cant think of another Omni ride that puts that much stress on itself with the massive height changes and length.
The cars can be relatively easily swapped out. Spares are kept in the building. Car bodies are physically lifted off the bogies at the 52ft level.

Getting them out the building is fun. As you said they have to go in the central elevator.

The upcoming work could see a lot of track and vehicle work.

Wngo905

I think this refurb is a great opportunity for Disney to replace the Alucobond panels, as they are almost 40 years old and are starting to get kind of grimy.
Ha,

One Imagineer: "I think we are going to need bigger scrims"
Second Imagineer: "Why?!?! We did not use them when we built GOTG"

That would be a serious amount of scrims but if they do ever replace the panels without, it will be a tremendous and long-lasting eyesore. o_O

tparris

Ha,

That would be a serious amount of scrims but if they do ever replace the panels without, it will be a tremendous and long-lasting eyesore. o_O
I would assume they would do small sections at a time, and probably wouldn’t even bother with scrims

KBLovesDisney

Ha,

They could always get a giant golf ball cleaner :cautious:

Top Bottom