News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
SSE is the park icon for EPCOT. If it were down for WDW's 50th anniversary that would be just plain dumb IMO. I believe that every single attraction resort-wide should be open for the entire celebration, except for attractions that require annual maintenance such as Splash. If they want to overhaul SSE they either need to start very soon or put it off until 2023, which is most likely when the 50th will be completely done.
SSE was closed for Epcot’s 25th remember.
I believe @marni1971 stated last he heard this was 2 years out?
At the earliest. But that’s just what I heard. It could be bumped of course.

Naplesgolfer

SSE was closed for Epcot’s 25th remember.

At the earliest. But that’s just what I heard. It could be bumped of course.

When I was talking to the staff at “World dreams tour” and was asking about a back stage tour of SSE , they are operating under the assumption that it is closing soon. For whatever that is worth. Just another piece of info.

iowamomof4

When I was talking to the staff at “World dreams tour” and was asking about a back stage tour of SSE , they are operating under the assumption that it is closing soon. For whatever that is worth. Just another piece of info.
Soon? Can you be more specific? Approximately when was your tour supposed to be taking place?

jt04

Sometimes attractions close because it is necessary. Not sure about this case. I am sure I would rather they take the time to get it right this time around with whatever changes are planned. Even if that means it is closed for the 50th with an unveiling on the 40th.

IMO.

iowamomof4

They wouldn't or couldn't be more specific. They denied access to SSE until further notice. I haven't booked the tour yet. Trying to come up with a list of 5-6 things I think I want to do. SSE was on the top of the list. Kind of took the wind out of my sails.

That would be a gut-punch for us for sure. We're traveling in May and this is my dd10's favorite ride in all of WDW. She's been so excited to ride it and I knew this refurb was upcoming but I really hoped we were going to get there before it started. :(

AJDMB05

That would be a gut-punch for us for sure. We're traveling in May and this is my dd10's favorite ride in all of WDW. She's been so excited to ride it and I knew this refurb was upcoming but I really hoped we were going to get there before it started. :(
I wouldn't take this as gospel, no offense to OP. Soon could mean literally anytime in the next year as far as I'm concerned. Personally I'd be very surprised if this started in the next 3 months. It's going to be bad when we're down to 5 functioning pavilions in Future World and honestly only 2 of them are worth visiting anymore. I think if you make it to April without a blog from Disney Parks, your trip in May is safe. They gave us a month notice on Energy and GMR before killing them forever.

jt04

I wouldn't take this as gospel, no offense to OP. Soon could mean literally anytime in the next year as far as I'm concerned. Personally I'd be very surprised if this started in the next 3 months. It's going to be bad when we're down to 5 functioning pavilions in Future World and honestly only 2 of them are worth visiting anymore. I think if you make it to April without a blog from Disney Parks, your trip in May is safe. They gave us a month notice on Energy and GMR before killing them forever.

I would guess around the time Rat 🐀 opens if possible. Maybe sooner if necessary. Assuming something is planned.

WDW862

I would love a standalone SSE tour. I'd pay a lot of for it. We (cast members) can enter a raffle for a tour, but a very limited amount of people are selected.

cjkeating

It would be very unusual for a ride to close for a planned refurbishment when Fastpass+ is already available so I would say it'll be open for a rolling 70 days until we hear otherwise.

jt04

Just realized that 2023 is the 100th anniversary of TWDC. Epcot will be 40 in 2022. WDW will be 50 in 2021.

Likely this will start sooner than later although I am sure ops is fighting it all the way. IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom