News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

mikejs78

Premium Member
Had some spare time today so watched all of incarnations of SSE (thanks to @marni1971's awesome tribute videos). And watching them all back to back, I have to say - the Irons version, hands down, is the absolute best of SSE. It has a sense of grandeur, of gravitas, that none of the others have, with his voice, the score, the 180TOP climax and the dioramas in the descent.

The Cronkite version is a close second. The lack of a score up to the 180TOP, and music beginning then and leading into Tomorrow's Child - and that Space Station.

I'd rate the current incarnation third. Dench's narration is fine, the.score is excellent, some of the added effects and more advanced animatronics are stunning. It suffers from a less than stellar script and a poor descent.

The version in last place is the initial opening day Vic Perrin version. The narration was lackluster, and without any kind of score, it lacked punch, especially at the end.

I hope the new version can surpass even the Irons one.

All this IMHO, of course.

smile

You mean Larry Dobkin?

Marty is wrong. I was told Perrin by the WDW PR department when the Jeremy Irons version was just opening. But you can hear for yourself. Here's Dobkin. Listen to this for a minute (narration starts about forty seconds in):

And here's Perrin. Listen to this:

And now listen to Martin's video. Start at 24:40 for a nice clear section of narration.

That's Perrin all the way. Same voice, same inflections, and quite different from Dobkin.

ps -
marty is/was
...:cry:
r.i.p

Last edited:

spock8113

Please, no Ann, Elsa or Guardians of the Galaxy!
And don't you dare mess with Steve and his papyrus.:bookworm:
BTW, I "marvel" at the span of subject matter in one thread!

kurtk

Please, no Ann, Elsa or Guardians of the Galaxy!
And don't you dare mess with Steve and his papyrus.:bookworm:
BTW, I "marvel" at the span of subject matter in one thread!

How about Black Panther? That made a lot of money at the box office;-)

Just so it is clear, I meant it as a joke.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Previous scripts:

"They create an alphabet. Simple enough for any to learn"​
"They create a simple common alphabet adaptable to most languages. Remember how easy it was to learn your ABC's? Thank the Phoenicians, they invented them. "​

Proposed new script:

Remember learning your ABCs? How it was drilled into you for years from the moment you first started to speak words and reinforced with playthings, murals, and puppet videos? And how you had to learn the sounds each letter made even though many made more than one sound? And then how the sounds they made no longer mattered since you had to recognize chunks of letters that formed words that you no longer had to sound out? And how you learned over several years to master writing them in both lower case and a differing uppercase version and yet, in printed type, some of those letters, like the 'a' and 'g' looked significantly different? And how you then had to learn a cursive version which also had different orthographies for lower and upper case? And then had to learn how to type those letters on a keyboard with all your fingers and then again with a different set of manual skills in typing them on a personal electronic device? Well, you can thank the Phoenicians for that.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom