Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

RoysCabin

They don't care about fit anymore. It's about sticking an IP wherever they can and they'll figure out a story later, if they bother at all.
I think that's what kind of hit me when thinking about some of the changes over the last decade or so - we've said everything on this topic a million times before, and one of the big things that comes up is that, no, IPs were there from the get-go in Disney parks, there's nothing inherently wrong with them being there. But the big difference in the way things feel nowadays is that there's this sense that the IPs are being integrated first, the show/ride/attraction idea second.

I'm sure that's not always the case; like, I get the idea of using Ratatouille for a trackless ride, since the idea of scurrying along a floor like a rat makes some sense. But when I think of, say, Frozen Ever After, it doesn't feel like a ride that has any particular purpose to being there beyond "corporate said we need to get the IP in here", and it's not alone in creating that feeling. I contrast that with the story of something like Splash Mountain, where the flume ride idea came first, the Song of the South trappings were brought in because they happened to fit the concept well.

Cmdr_Crimson

I contrast that with the story of something like Splash Mountain, where the flume ride idea came first, the Song of the South trappings were brought in because they happened to fit the concept well.
The ride was originally Zip a Dee River Run. Then tge ride was intended to be about the Darryl Hannah/Tom Hanks film Splash because they wanted to add the mermaid into the attraction but, Tony Baxter dropped the idea.

WaluigiTime

The ride was originally Zip a Dee River Run. Then tge ride was intended to be about the Darryl Hannah/Tom Hanks film Splash because they wanted to add the mermaid into the attraction but, Tony Baxter dropped the idea.

Wasn't that more Eisner's idea and they just did what they wanted because they knew the Splash idea was bad.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Meanwhile at Imagination:
BaGE0P.gif

That's what struck me most when walking through the Moana area, which I finally saw a couple of weeks ago...it's just a bunch of Journey into Imagination stuff with rocks around it.

sedati

That's what struck me most when walking through the Moana area, which I finally saw a couple of weeks ago...it's just a bunch of Journey into Imagination stuff with rocks around it.
And the Imagination stuff is just my broken plumbing with some dated color schemes around it.

Moth

Has there been any movement on this in the last 2~ months? A friend rode SE last week and all they could see were zip ties.
I heard Imagination and SE are fighting it out to see who gets into line next. Imagination has a slight edge due to not needing a complex re-track. There's the chance both go down together though.

There's a chance ANOTHER Future World ride could get a redo before either (I heard Mission Space may get something within 5~ years, Living with the Land also, but that'd be a show effects update versus anything drastic) long term goal is to get those two fixed before EPCOT50.

SE current plans look promising. Disney might be trying to court a certain big tech company to sponsor SE to justify a full track+it's costs. (🍎)

Homemade Imagineering

I heard Imagination and SE are fighting it out to see who gets into line next. Imagination has a slight edge due to not needing a complex re-track. There's the chance both go down together though.

There's a chance ANOTHER Future World ride could get a redo before either (I heard Mission Space may get something within 5~ years, Living with the Land also, but that'd be a show effects update versus anything drastic) long term goal is to get those two fixed before EPCOT50.

SE current plans look promising. Disney might be trying to court a certain big tech company to sponsor SE to justify a full track+it's costs. (🍎)
I seriously hope Tony is given free range to completely overhaul Imagination after today’s debacle. Won’t get this thread off topic since that’s been the elephant in the room since this morning, but I can’t help but feel bad for the guy. I really wanted this one to succeed and I feel almost betrayed, us parks fans need a homerun of an attraction and I will gladly accept an Imagination overhaul to make up for any lackluster projects in the past couple years (SSE included, though I trust them less and less everyday to create something worthwhile based on their recent track record, but with Bruce in charge again I might give them the benefit of the doubt).

Moth

I seriously hope Tony is given free range to completely overhaul Imagination after today’s debacle. Won’t get this thread off topic since that’s been the elephant in the room since this morning, but I can’t help but feel bad for the guy. I really wanted this one to succeed and I feel almost betrayed, us parks fans need a homerun of an attraction and I will gladly accept an Imagination overhaul to make up for any lackluster projects in the past couple years (SSE included, though I trust them less and less everyday to create something worthwhile based on their recent track record, but with Bruce in charge again I might give them the benefit of the doubt).

Keep expectations in check regarding Imagination. Figment will supposedly have Dreamfinder again at least.

SSE plans look more impressive.

Homemade Imagineering

Keep expectations in check regarding Imagination. Figment will supposedly have Dreamfinder again at least.

SSE plans look more impressive.
If it’s the cliff notes version of 1.0 you’re referring to I can accept that given the rest of the attraction is restored 1:1 with additional elements to compensate for the loss of the turntable. I’m relieved to hear SSE looks more impressive, WDW needs something that will garner the attention of hardcore enthusiasts following Epic’s eventual debut and TBA’s shortcomings

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom