Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

aladdin2007

I heard Imagination and SE are fighting it out to see who gets into line next. Imagination has a slight edge due to not needing a complex re-track. There's the chance both go down together though.

There's a chance ANOTHER Future World ride could get a redo before either (I heard Mission Space may get something within 5~ years, Living with the Land also, but that'd be a show effects update versus anything drastic) long term goal is to get those two fixed before EPCOT50.

SE current plans look promising. Disney might be trying to court a certain big tech company to sponsor SE to justify a full track+it's costs. (🍎)
that would be great its just been so long since the sponsorship thing worked and actually went through. Majority of attempts never pan out.

MerlinTheGoat

Keep expectations in check regarding Imagination. Figment will supposedly have Dreamfinder again at least.
Are we talking about JUST bringing Dreamfinder back in as a character, but keeping largely the same scenery from V2 and V3? Or are they going to actually renovate the rooms and sets in some sort of significant manner too? Because as beloved as Dreamfinder is, his inclusion won't be nearly enough if they keep the same horrible surrounding ride experience. Sort of like how reintroducing Figment again after Journey into Your Imagination flopped, it didn't improve things much. I'd say the horrible show scenes are a much bigger issue than just merely the absence of Dreamfinder. Though his absence is certainly a major issue as well, don't get me wrong.

If they attempted some sort of replication of the original scenes without altering the current track layout, then the areas that are no longer physically there are the cloudy tunnel entrance, turntable, hallway with fortune teller Dreamfinder and the finale. If they were willing to make some positional changes to the queue, imageworks and load/unload, then they could conceivably free up some extra space at either the beginning or end of the ride for another scene or two. Particularly if they use only one area for both load and unload. Ideally move the Imageworks back upstairs so the queue can also be more easily shifted over so the ride has more show space. Even without the turntable being usable anymore, they could still use that room for a scene of some kind. One that isn't just flat video screens if they reposition the queue.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

I've heard both 'scenery remains the same without the institute framing with Dreamfinder added' and 'sets close to Imagination 1.0'. Sources are 2 years old so for all I know Imagination 4 might be "we stuck Dreamfinder at the end of the ride" to "Imagination 1.0 completely redone"
Thanks. I know better than to get any hopes up, but I truly do hope that better heads prevail and they go with the Imagination 1.0 recreation option. Someone in power needs to know that the other option is absolutely not acceptable. I don't really trust any option to do anything else with it either. Most likely another random popular movie IP. Even if it was something original though, they're still never going to match the original. Replicating the original as closely as possible is the best and only good option, and would please the most people possible.

I guess it's also prudent to ask- Any rumors on possible Tony Baxter involvement? Despite my severe criticism of them, I do think Disney is still probably capable of mostly replicating the original ride without his input. There's tons of reference material for recreation purposes. Plus Imagination was never an animatronics heavy ride either, so there's a decent possibility they'll even get that right (maybe). But he'd certainly be helpful for working out the creative issues of a reduced track layout and physical space.

Last edited:

Moth

My sources for Imagination/SSE/Other stuff are a bit dated (in Disney terms) so I can't comment on who's in the project, who isn't. I don't wanna get hopes up.

I think people are gonna be happy with SSE 4.0 (would it be 5.0?), the main issue on why it hasn't gone down yet is wholy logistics on retracking.

Cannot comment on D23 reveals either. Everyone knows those changes down to the last minutes before presenting.

mightynine

I heard Imagination and SE are fighting it out to see who gets into line next. Imagination has a slight edge due to not needing a complex re-track. There's the chance both go down together though.

There's a chance ANOTHER Future World ride could get a redo before either (I heard Mission Space may get something within 5~ years, Living with the Land also, but that'd be a show effects update versus anything drastic) long term goal is to get those two fixed before EPCOT50.

SE current plans look promising. Disney might be trying to court a certain big tech company to sponsor SE to justify a full track+it's costs. (🍎)
Jeremy Renner Endgame GIF

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
WRT Figment: Previously, insiders have said WDW can't finally decide on what to do with it. Getting rid of Figment completely was on the table. But recently heard it was off the table. The lead up to the EPCOT refresh had Figment in the mix of artwork, but nothing said specifically, which means they were going to do something, but it got cut.

So, to summarize: ??

MerlinTheGoat

Hopefully the SSE renovation (if it happens) is much more conservative about altering most of the ascending scenes than what the prior variant's concept art showcased. They've kept most of those scenes relatively recognizable over the various iterations (up until the computer room). That concept art had me VERY concerned, so I'm glad they've seemingly scrapped it. The biggest focus should be the descent. Also ensuring they pick a good narrator, with a classy and sophisticated script as well.

Now that fiber optic networking is finally becoming mainstream, it would be really nice to see some of those old effects reintroduced in the finale again. That city was absolutely stunning.

Dragonman

Makes sense considering a certain scene in the ride.

Dragonman

Hopefully the SSE renovation (if it happens) is much more conservative about altering most of the ascending scenes than what the prior variant's concept art showcased. They've kept most of those scenes relatively recognizable over the various iterations (up until the computer room). That concept art had me VERY concerned, so I'm glad they've seemingly scrapped it. The biggest focus should be the descent. Also ensuring they pick a good narrator, with a classy and sophisticated script as well.

Now that fiber optic networking is finally becoming mainstream, it would be really nice to see some of those old effects reintroduced in the finale again. That city was absolutely stunning.
I’d rather have the space station back in some form considering it’s still hanging around up there abandoned.

DreamfinderGuy

I'm really not sure a complete retrack is in the cards for SSE. The main issues with the clunking and whatnot can be addressed with little actual track work. That was the main reason behind the Earth Station rebuild in the last planned version, the new load/unload stations reduced the stress the rest of the track was put under.

Brer Oswald

I don't know if I want to see them touch SE now LOL. Just give it a retrack and a new descent please.

dreamfinding

That being said, SE has never been re-tracked? Only repairs over the years, yes?

dreamfinding

WRT Figment: Previously, insiders have said WDW can't finally decide on what to do with it. Getting rid of Figment completely was on the table. But recently heard it was off the table. The lead up to the EPCOT refresh had Figment in the mix of artwork, but nothing said specifically, which means they were going to do something, but it got cut.

So, to summarize: ??

No way they would actually evict him. I would say he’s too beloved, but look what is happening in MK to the Country Bears.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom