Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

DoleWhipDrea

I thought about mentioning the disappearance of the storyteller the other week but figured it would come back soon enough.

Perhaps while they're waiting to get a budget for the bigger refurb, they're trying to clean up some of the AAs in the interim. A few weeks ago, the Greek mathematician was having some trouble, but upon the next visit he was moving normally.

The TV for the moon segment really needs help.

muddyrivers

For those who are noticing show issues, please make sure to stop by Guest Services after riding to register your complaint. The more people who actually say something that Guest Services puts on file, the higher likelihood attention will be given to SSE. All management looks at is metrics so a high volume of complaints will stick out.

aladdin2007

For those who are noticing show issues, please make sure to stop by Guest Services after riding to register your complaint. The more people who actually say something that Guest Services puts on file, the higher likelihood attention will be given to SSE. All management looks at is metrics so a high volume of complaints will stick out.

geeks and their metrics!!! its not doing businesses any favors and has made things worse across the board, not just at Disney but all over. looking at you amazon as just one example. I hate how it runs everything. just nothing good to say about it in my opinion and Ive worked with it. SE really is overdue for major work.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
JII was delayed several months because of issues with the turntable scene and vehicle timing associated with it. While they did improve it, it was never fully fixed and vehicles would constantly speed up, slow down, or just stop altogether from what I've seen in videos. It wasn't perfect, but it was enough to operate. The unload belt was removed after a few years because of those timing issues leaving the vehicles at different speeds than the belt, so they just replaced it with a stationary floor. If you look at YouTube videos, you'll see the ride speed up and slow down at times. The ride itself also was prone to breaking down because of said turntable from what I've heard, which is why they removed it and 40% of the original track when they made JIYI.

In the long run though, it didn't affect the rides popularity by any stretch of the imagination!

Can confirm reliability issues, my father worked the central computers/maintenance at EPCOT Center when it first opened and the JII turntable was one of the most troublesome areas and that was after it had opened.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Wow that's cool that your father worked there! I'm sure many of us would love to hear some of his stories if he has any to share.

I'll ask him :)

I know one story he mentioned recently about one of the employees he worked with who was in charge of supporting the American Adventure...and the central computer had an issue where if you press enter enough of times in a row, it would cause the attraction to go down (something like that) so several nights even before the park closed, he would cause the attraction to go down so he would go home early.

I THINK thats how he said it, lol. Again this was almost 40 years ago, so details might be cloudy as well.

muddyrivers

I'll ask him :)

I know one story he mentioned recently about one of the employees he worked with who was in charge of supporting the American Adventure...and the central computer had an issue where if you press enter enough of times in a row, it would cause the attraction to go down (something like that) so several nights even before the park closed, he would cause the attraction to go down so he would go home early.

I THINK thats how he said it, lol. Again this was almost 40 years ago, so details might be cloudy as well.
I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who's into retro computing so I really enjoy reading about the technology that powered EPCOT Center. Back when that type of technology was earth shattering.

TikibirdLand

I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who's into retro computing so I really enjoy reading about the technology that powered EPCOT Center. Back when that type of technology was earth shattering.
I'd love hearing more too. Would be neat to hear from anyone that tore into these systems when they had problems. If you love retro-computing, check out Curious Marc's channel on youtube. They got an Apollo guidance computer up and running!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
In case anyone is wondering, yes he worked here...no they weren't all animatronics :p :

epcot-computer-review-1.jpg-nggid046709-ngg0dyn-710x460x90-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

I don't know the details of the computers but I can ask him. He did a lot of computer work back in the 70's and 80's

TikibirdLand

In case anyone is wondering, yes he worked here...no they weren't all animatronics :p :

epcot-computer-review-1.jpg-nggid046709-ngg0dyn-710x460x90-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

I don't know the details of the computers but I can ask him. He did a lot of computer work back in the 70's and 80's
Would have loved seeing that. And, maybe I could have sneaked behind stage to look at it up close!

FigmentsFangirl

They need to put this ride out of it's misery. I rode it last week and it stopped for extended periods (3 times), scene lighting was so dim (could barely see anything), many of the animatronics weren't working, no A/C, the descent continues to age quickly....this ride is a shell of what it used to be and this park icon deserves better.
Ride it after sunset, by then your eyes are adjusted to the dark in the ride too

Thelazer

Can confirm reliability issues, my father worked the central computers/maintenance at EPCOT Center when it first opened and the JII turntable was one of the most troublesome areas and that was after it had opened.
While true. It's nothing that could not be solved with modern control systems and such.

If you happen to compare the track layout of JII, VS Harry Potter, you'll see that both layouts feature A circular "scene" that the ride vehicles have to essentially link up and sync with. Indeed the software behind Harry Potter, keeps everything flowing pretty smooth given the variables at parts of the ride.. Disney could have done it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
While true. It's nothing that could not be solved with modern control systems and such.

If you happen to compare the track layout of JII, VS Harry Potter, you'll see that both layouts feature A circular "scene" that the ride vehicles have to essentially link up and sync with. Indeed the software behind Harry Potter, keeps everything flowing pretty smooth given the variables at parts of the ride.. Disney could have done it.

Right, but JII turntable was removed during the overhaul around 1998, not sure if it was something feasible back then or it was just a cost cutting measure to get rid of it entirely...seeing how cheap it was, I'm guessing it was just to avoid having to deal with it at all

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom