Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I just don't give Transformers much credit since it's so similar to another attraction they had already built. Plus Transformers was already built twice in Singapore and Hollywood, so there's another leg up. Plus it's mostly screen based (and quite frankly the detail work doesn't look that impressive to me, but that's just an opinion I reckon).
Even Covid allowing, let’s not mention Rat then.

But please don’t use Spider-Man as an argument. You’d just loose credibility.

(and please don’t make me explain why again! 😁 )

Dont get wrong, Transformers is no Forbidden Journey or RotR. But it’s technically extremely clever and damn good fun.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Even Covid allowing, let’s not mention Rat then.

But please don’t use Spider-Man as an argument. You’d just loose credibility.

(and please don’t make me explain why again! 😁 )

Dont get wrong, Transformers is no Forbidden Journey or RotR. But it’s technically extremely clever and damn good fun.
Spider-Man is a valid argument. Its similarities to Transformers cannot be mistaken... Which doesn't make Transformers a new experience. It's just not great in my opinion, and if it was, it'd gather longer wait times than Spider-Man. But again, that's an opinion and not relevant to the conversation I guess. As for Diagon Alley, Disney opened Galaxy's Edge in 3 years, and also worked on Toy Story Land in 2 years during the same construction time.

As for Rat, it was announced to the public on July 2017 that Rat would be coming to Epcot... So, again... 3 years for a new attraction. But that's also with (as you said) COVID, as well PLAY!, the huge hub reconstruction with Moana and huge demolishing, Guardians of the Galaxy, Tron, and I'm also sure they took a good bit of time out of their day to work on all the other things that never even got on the ground. But it took about just a year to construct Rat in Paris, so I definitely believe that Disney World is just too large and there are too many projects going on at once for it to get done that fast.

Simply put, I believe there is more than just one factor as to why Disney takes a "longer time" than Universal to crank out new attractions. Disney announces future projects way before they should, Disney works on waaay too many projects at one time in comparison, COVID Pandemic, and I'm sure many other factors. It doesn't just boil down to "Universal is faster" lol. Disney just puts themselves in a situation that they can easily avoid by officially announcing projects later and not working on too many projects at one time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
. Disney just puts themselves in a situation that they can easily avoid by officially announcing projects later and not working on too many projects at one time.
Spider-Man and Transformers share the same RV system (although the execution is different), that’s it. You don’t want to retread the HM vs Mermaid argument do you? Although IYHW vs Mermaid would be as valid.

You know how many projects Uni has deferred so they don’t work on too many at once? Sometimes the list is like a dart board. Throw a few darts and see where they land = what’s next to build.

Disney of today is a dinosaur compared to Disney of yesteryear. Not even taking into account any PR fluff. There’s no avoiding that.

Rich Brownn

Spider-Man and Transformers share the same RV system (although the execution is different), that’s it. You don’t want to retread the HM vs Mermaid argument do you? Although IYHW vs Mermaid would be as valid.

You know how many projects Uni has deferred so they don’t work on too many at once? Sometimes the list is like a dart board. Throw a few darts and see where they land = what’s next to build.

Disney of today is a dinosaur compared to Disney of yesteryear. Not even taking into account any PR fluff. There’s no avoiding that.
Spider-Man uses mostly flat screens, so the motion is side-to-side as the cars go by (except for the finale, which is curved to induce foward motion simulation). Transformers is the exact opposite. Its also difficult to move left-ro-right or vice versa on a curved 3D screen, which is why Spiderman finale turns and moves very slowly and why Transformers generally "parks" in front of the screens.

WondersOfLife

The argument for Spider-Man vs Transformers for me is that it is a system that they are already familiar with. I'd argue the same for Little Mermaid & Haunted Mansion.

I don't know how many projects Uni has deferred... And that's good on them. Because Disney announces things that never even see the light of day.

Yep, Disney is definitely a Dinosaur. Especially compared to the size of Uni (for now). I imagine that it takes so long to get things done because of the list I stated before, and on TOP of that, a longer chain of people it has to go down before final approval (on a LOT of things) compared to Uni.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep, Disney is definitely a Dinosaur. Especially compared to the size of Uni (for now). I imagine that it takes so long to get things done because of the list I stated before, and on TOP of that, a longer chain of people it has to go down before final approval (on a LOT of things) compared to Uni.
A great example told to me by someone who’s built for both:

”We need to run this cable from here into a machine in that room behind that wall”

Disney-

Submit the request and state why
Wait for a meeting next week
Get request for more info
Wait for a meeting in a few days
Receive word back to get such and such to authorise it
Such and such authorises it but his team have to do it
His team do it next week

Comcast-

Is it safe? Is it needed?
An hour later - if you’re qualified, do it. And do it right. Then have a leader sign it off this shift.

WondersOfLife

A great example told to me by someone who’s built for both:

”We need to run this cable from here into a machine in that room behind that wall”

Disney-

Submit the request and state why
Wait for a meeting next week
Get request for more info
Wait for a meeting in a few days
Receive word back to get such and such to authorise it
Such and such authorises it but his team have to do it
His team do it next week

Comcast-

Is it safe? Is it needed?
An hour later - if you’re qualified, do it. And do it right. Then have a leader sign it off this shift.
That's the best example of the "chain of command" message situation right there. Nice insight.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's the best example of the "chain of command" message situation right there. Nice insight.
Aside from fiscal years and spreadsheets and accountants the biggest problem is the bureaucracy and red tape that’s been allowed to build up. It’s not for lack of want. That’s how they built PotC in 16 months, BTM in 20 and Splash in 22. And of course phase one and EPCOT Center in 36.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Spider-Man uses mostly flat screens, so the motion is side-to-side as the cars go by (except for the finale, which is curved to induce foward motion simulation). Transformers is the exact opposite. Its also difficult to move left-ro-right or vice versa on a curved 3D screen, which is why Spiderman finale turns and moves very slowly and why Transformers generally "parks" in front of the screens.

Spider-Man was a ground breaker, but for me I still get a “wow” factor riding Transformers, taking the glasses off and looking up as the elevator rises with the show scene still playing out in front of me. And (sadly) it takes a lot to impress me.

Skibum1970

Spider-Man was a ground breaker, but for me I still get a “wow” factor riding Transformers, taking the glasses off and looking up as the elevator rises with the show scene still playing out in front of me. And (sadly) it takes a lot to impress me.

Probably an unavoidable outcome of having been on some many different rides. I agree that Transformers and Spiderman feel different enough that you really don't care that they use the same techology (kind of like comparing SMT to BTMR).

I am still scared of the Spaceship Earth redo. I love the ride as it is, with its awesome soundtrack and show scenes. If they update a little, I won't mind but, if they change it wholescale, I will be less than pleased. I still miss the educational and fun rides that they used to have and don't think that those rides wouldn't work today. However, that's an argument for a different thread.

Touchdown

The elevators are really cool in Transformers, I will give it that but due to them but, the finale is pitiful compared to Spider-Man. It is amazing how something as simple and analog as fans really sells the illusion of freefall. I still feel like I’m falling every time I ride Spider-Man, even though I’m not. I don’t feel like I’m falling in Transformers, even though I know I technically am.

lazyboy97o

So a couple of years for a copycat ride, that sounds understandable to me.

And Diagon Alley took about like what, 3 or 4 years?
Decision to opening was 13 months, not a couple of years.
I just don't give Transformers much credit since it's so similar to another attraction they had already built. Plus Transformers was already built twice in Singapore and Hollywood, so there's another leg up. Plus it's mostly screen based (and quite frankly the detail work doesn't look that impressive to me, but that's just an opinion I reckon).

In the end, it seems like both theme parks create lands & attractions, on average, between 2 to 4 years each... With Universal announcing much later in the design phase, and Disney announcing before plans even actually get officially greenlit on the dirt.
You can’t just take the “blueprints” from something built on the other side of the world or the other side of the country and reuse them. Architecture and engineering all has to be done, thousands of pages of documents. Even if the same large general contractor firm was hired it would still be a new team of people.
Disney works on waaay too many projects at one time in comparison,
The idea of there being this small team that works on everything is a myth. Most projects have a dedicated team that works on it full time. Freelance and contract employees are limited to the number of Disney projects they can work on simultaneously.
The argument for Spider-Man vs Transformers for me is that it is a system that they are already familiar with.
Having an established ride system is only a small part of the design puzzle.

WondersOfLife

Decision to opening was 13 months, not a couple of years.

You can’t just take the “blueprints” from something built on the other side of the world or the other side of the country and reuse them. Architecture and engineering all has to be done, thousands of pages of documents. Even if the same large general contractor firm was hired it would still be a new team of people.

The idea of there being this small team that works on everything is a myth. Most projects have a dedicated team that works on it full time. Freelance and contract employees are limited to the number of Disney projects they can work on simultaneously.

Having an established ride system is only a small part of the design puzzle.
Looks like you’ve got everything figured out! :)

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Purely from an operational capacity point, you would think they would have to have rat open before they can close Spaceship Earth.
You would think.

At the same time I think a lot of us suspect Ratatouille could have a Velocicoaster like opening where it’s open for some time before it’s opening day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom