spaceship earth end not done

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I was wayyyyyy to young to remember the version before Irons, but does anyone know where you can find an mp3 audio of the entire cronkite narration, a plus for a video( I doubt it though) I already have the Irons version, and would like to have the version before that if its possible.

I believe our wonderful member Marni1971 (Martin) might have a video of that on his video page. http://groups.msn.com/martinsvideos

If you can't find it there, perhaps try a youtube search or PMing Martin?

Hope that helps. :wave:

Figment571

I have to disagree thought to how you believe taking scenes and relating them to today is more deep and complex. You could take anything from the past and just relate it to today. For example, I could take the discovery of weapon making and say that's the reason why I have a razor to shave my face. Taking something and analyzing how it developed and changed, that's complex and intelligent.

You can take this development and show it to guests and not talk down to them and they will understand it. Just talking down to a person and saying an Arab and Jewish book keeper is like a computer just sounds ridiculous.

CaptainMichael

I think the problem most old-school Epcot fans have is that they're understandably stuck on the ride's OLD storyline, and have difficulty seeing the newer, diffferent story. (I think a first-time rider would look at the new SSE in a much different way than we do)

The new ride's theme is summed up in the first line: "Where are we going? And how did we get there?"

Instead of a look at communication history, the new SSE story tries to show modern riders how we arrived at the technology we've got today.

The narrator is speaking to us passengers in 2008, demonstrating how our laptops, iPods, and cellphones were born (and how those stepping stones will lead to future advancements).

As we're traveling through the "historical" periods, the narrator must frequently remind us that the scenes we're looking at (ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, etc) have relevance to our modern lives. THIS IS HOW SSE DIFFERS FROM THE OLD VERSION. The narrator uses 2008 references to hit home just how important those primitive advancements ultimately were to modern man.

Papyrus is foreign to us now, but that invention led to "record-keeping and unfortunately, taxes"...which IS part of our daily lives. She could have also said papyrus "led to inkjet printers that allow us to reproduce photographs of ourselves and loved ones." The narrator is not making a "joke" about taxes. She's drawing a line between ancient Egypt and 2008.

Likewise, the Romans accelerated the sharing of information between people far from each other---just like the "world wide web" does today. It's not a joke. It's another example of how we got to our current technology.

Same with the "back-up" libraries in the Middle East. Back then, handwritten books were duplicated and stored in a separate location, so when the originals were destroyed, we still had copies. That same ancient concept is at the heart of today's "hard drive" technology.

As for that line "Remember how easy it was to learn your ABC's?" With today's global technology, we may not all speak the same language, but most of those languages are made up of the same building blocks: A-B-C-D-E-etc. The computer keyboard I'm using right now would not have been possible without the Phoenicians.

As Imagineer Marc Davis stated, in theme park rides like PotC, riders need to understand the point of the scene as quickly as possible. On SSE, in just nine short words, the narrator explains why three bearded men on boats holding scrolls have relevance to my modern-day life.

As I said earlier, for us who are familiar with looking at these animatronics and sets, the new narration is starkly different. But it's SUPPOSED to be, because it's telling a new story.

In a nutshell, the Jeremy Irons story was "Cave paintings led to papyrus, which led to scrolls, which led to theater scripts and the arts, which led to a giant distribution system, which led to sharing the same ideas in distant lands, which led to books, then to an a primitive printing press, then to an industrial printing press, then the telegraph, telephone, movies, TV, and the internet."

The Judy Dench story is : "Cave paintings were a good start, but they would not have been compatible with our modern mobile lifestyle. Papyrus led to modern record-keeping. The Phonecians helped us all vaguely speak the same language today. The Greek's mathematics led to modern engineering and computer technology. The Romans began the process of disseminating information across great distances, which we've improved on with the internet. Middle Easterners first saw the value of backing up data, as we do today. The printing press and books helped spread information quickly, just as we're still striving to do. After the Industrial Revolution, technology advanced quickly, from telegraph to space travel to home computers and beyond."

I gotta say, I think the new SSE story is actually much deeper, complex, relevant, and better told than any previous version. It's even more amazing when you consider the Imagineers had to develop that new story around existing ride elements.
Since they couldn't rebuild SSE from scratch, their hands were often tied, but they still pulled off a new storyline.

The only thing that would make the attraction tell an even better story would be to somehow incorporate a cave painting at the very end of the ride, either along the walls or in the touchscreen video, to bring the journey full-circle and dramatically show just how far we've advanced technology.

:sohappy:You get it!:sohappy:

Post of the Year!

Enigma

Account Suspended
Papyrus is foreign to us now, but that invention led to "record-keeping and unfortunately, taxes"...which IS part of our daily lives. She could have also said papyrus "led to inkjet printers that allow us to reproduce photographs of ourselves and loved ones." The narrator is not making a "joke" about taxes. She's drawing a line between ancient Egypt and 2008.

Actually she is trying to make a joke about taxes. If she said something to the affect of "record keeping and taxes" or "record keeping, taxes, etc.) it would have been factual. But she says "and unfortuantly taxes" as if trying to hard to relate to joe average and make a joke.

It reminds of that episode of Family Guy where the religious speaker is trying to convince all the students at the high school to abstain and he makes a reference about The Matrix and one of the kids in the audiance is like "He's seen the matrix too! Man I can totally relate to that!"

Its the same deal with the new canada movie where the guy makes abunch of "awink wink" jokes at the viewer as if were a bunch of morons. For example "Now if you'll excuse me I got that fastpass to SOARIN'".

This all goes back to Tom Fitzgerald and his production/writing team at imagineering. They really dont get how to entertain people so they think that attempts to be hip with dumb jokes and celeberty cameos will equal a popular attraction.

yensidtlaw1969

Heaven forbid we're entertained with jokes while VACATIONING at Disney World... :zipit: :rolleyes:

I think it's more about how we're not being entertained by the jokes that concerns us :shrug::slurp:

I'll wait until I ride the newer version for myself to pass my final judgment, but I know it'll be tough to let go of the Irons version. I remember being 4 years old (yeah, seriously) and riding it for the first time with my dad and being captivated by it's mysterious atmosphere. I agree with the point that we have to consider the narration in the context of the new story being told, but knowing that we can never see the old story due to this one can be a little upsetting. However, I will ride with an open mind on my next trip to the World (potentially soon!).

-Yensidtlaw1969

WDWRocks08

I believe Tom Hanks should have voiced the narration. He does a wonderful job in the Museum Of Natural History's (in NY) planetarium!

Expo_Seeker40

Robert Redford narrates at the planeterium now.

Anyway, here's my version of the Judi script, eliminating various things. Read if you want. :zipit:

There will be typos. :zipit:

Since the dawn of the recorded history we have been inventing the future one step at a time...

But! ... Where are we going? What kind of future will we discover there?

The answers lie in our past...

I'll show you how our Expo's created the script you're reading now, and then it will be your turn to create the world of tomorrow...

Here in this hostile world is where our story begins.....man, struggling to survive.....until we learn to communicate with another, and can hunt as a team, and survive....together!

It takes 15,000 years for the next idea, recording our knowledge on cave walls, there's a problem, when we moved the recorded knowledge stayed behind!

This unknown Egyptian,pounding reeds flat is inventing papyrus, a sort of paper...papyrus in turn creates better record keeping of plans, designs, and taxes.

At this point, each civilization has it's own form of writing,which none of the others can understand, but the phenoecians who trade with all of them create a simplified common alphabet adaptable to most languages.

The ancient Merfs were great inventors....first, they established public schools, and then began teaching an intriguing new subject called merfmatics.

With lessons learned from the Greeks, the Romans created a powerful empire. To move their armies around, they built a system of roads all over the known world.

Rome falls! And the great library of Alexandria and Egypt is burned. Much of our learning is destoryed, lost forever! Or so we think...

It turns out there a copies of these books in the middle east being watched over by Arab and Jewish scholars. The books are saved!

In Europe, Munks toil endlessly recording books by hand.

In 1450, Guttenburg invents the moveable type printing press, knowledge can travel as fast as these new books.

The result is an incredible explosion....the Renaissance!

Communications Technology races headlong into the future. People all over the world are sharing life's most important movements faster than ever before.

By now, we are all communicating from anywhere on Earth, and in 1969...from somewhere else.

To send a man to the moon, we had to invent a new language, spoken not by man, but by computer.

What if everyone could have one these amazing machines in their own home? There's just one problem....they're as big as a house!

The sollution comes in 1977 in a garage in California.

Young people with a passion for the future put the power of the computer in everyone's hands.

We stand on the brink of a new Renaissance.

After 30,000 years of time travel here we are.... a truly global community...networked, online, poised to shape the future of Spaceship Earth.

*attention time travelers sit down and shut up*

The choices we have made, have been inventing the future one step at a time. Now....it's your turn!

Answer a few questions for us, and we'll how you a new world made just for you! :kiss:

*people begin to crate their future*

*laser city builds our future*

I think the future you're creating looks very promising!

*video is revealed*

Now while no one knows for sure what we'll see or do, I do know it will be an adventure

Here's to the next 30,000 years on our grand and miraculous Spaceship Earth!"

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I remember being 4 years old (yeah, seriously) and riding it for the first time with my dad and being captivated by it's mysterious atmosphere. I agree with the point that we have to consider the narration in the context of the new story being told, but knowing that we can never see the old story due to this one can be a little upsetting. However, I will ride with an open mind on my next trip to the World (potentially soon!).

-Yensidtlaw1969

I've decided that the age difference is a big reason that I view some of the older EPCOT attraction differently than some of the regular posters on here. I was 13 when EPCOT opened. It's really hard to separate emotional attachment from childhood from our views of things. I know that I first went to MK when I was 4/5 years old in 1974 and went a lot as a kid. On our last trip, I took my wife on CBJ for the first time and she said, "that was terrible!" I felt an urge to defend the attraction, but was having a lot a trouble coming up with coherent arguments. I remember the first time I rode when SSE had the Irons narration. I didn't even know it would be different and as the ride went on, I found it flat, emotionless, and incredibly dissapointing. Over time, I grew more comfortable with it, but I still liked it less than the Cronkite version and right now (have only been on the newer SSE twice, during the soft opening phase) I like it less than the Dench version. Also, I do like the storyline of the new Dench version. I was much harder on the refurbed attraction when I just saw videos, but actually riding on it really changed my mind. And I haven't even seen the new improved descent. :D

aladdin2007

and survive....together!

Is it just me or has that line already gone down in SSE history as being unique to Judy Dench and this new version lol? When I hear that it its like all roads led to rome from Irons or the theater is born, or behold the majesty of the cistine chapel from Kronkite. Anyone else feel the same way or is there a different Dench line that you hold as being a new classic? (dont even say the abc line lol, although since we have been talking about it maybe it counts) :lol:

Expo_Seeker40

I completely agree. It is a very nice piece of dialogue.

What did you think of my take on her script though?

Minus the merfmatics. :hammer:

CaptainMichael

Its the same deal with the new canada movie where the guy makes abunch of "awink wink" jokes at the viewer as if were a bunch of morons. For example "Now if you'll excuse me I got that fastpass to SOARIN'".

*sigh* Sometimes, I feel like I must be going to a different park than most of you. When Martin Short says this line, the whole audience in the theater laughed...is there anything wrong with that? No, there isn't. It's a humorous line that relates to everyone in EPCOT that likes Soarin' and is aware at how valuable a FP for it is.

The new SSE narration does an excellent job at relating to everyone, whether it's "Joe Average" as you say, or someone that speaks a different language (thanks to new technology). Everyone pays taxes, they suck; everyone (mostly) learns their ABC's, thanks to the Phoenicians for making it easy; everyone (again mostly) can relate to the line about back-up systems. So, I guess it's just me, but I see no problem with the new SSE. I can get boring, informative lessons at LSU, I do everyday. But at EPCOT, I can take a nice journey back in time with M and learn about how civilization got where it is today.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's back to the boring, informative? lectures at LSU. I'd give anything to be at EPCOT right now.

EPCOT Explorer

Very true,STR8FAN2005.

The new narr. seems to be informative but on a more personal tone to the listener.The Irons tone was very eclectic and dramatic and really set the scene for mystery and granduer.That's what I and some othe people miss in the new SSE.I'm not comlaining,I'm just saying that for EPCOT's signature attraction,the tone should be inspiring,mysterious,and grand like Irons.

I have yet to experience the Dench version but from what I hear,there is a hint of this,as the opening dialog is much of the same.It's the finale the I'm worried about.

EPCOT Explorer

Wannabe-I've seen videos and that is the general oppinion of fans of EPCOT Center.

Personal and entertaining are fine.But without a sence of a grand story that influences our lives everyday,the attraction is almost making fun of itself.With both a personal BUT mysterious grand tone the ride would be even more amazing than it already is.
:)

dxwwf3

Personal and entertaining are fine.But without a sence of a grand story that influences our lives everyday,the attraction is almost making fun of itself.With both a personal BUT mysterious grand tone the ride would be even more amazing than it already is.
:)

Personally I don't think the new narration is that bad, but it isn't as enjoyable to me as the previous versons. Educational and "proper" is more entertaining to me. And while I won't be taking my iPod to the park to listen to Irons, I like you, will certainly miss the tone. I still think I'll love the new verson and can't wait to see it in person.

kcnole

Why does it have to be mysterious? Yes I liked mysterious and at first I hated the Dench version (but that's mainly because I'd already sold myself on Patrick Stewart doing it). However its still a serious discussion of how technology has advanced over time and stood on the shoulders of those who came before it. No, its not as brooding as the earlier versions, but its still serious. Sure it has a bit of levity to it, but there's nothing wrong with that. I'm a college instructor, I take the material I teach very seriously as I expect my students to do as well. However I know that its important to inject some levity into the conversation as well. Students are more apt to learn that way than if I stood up on a podium and lectured at them from my superior mind.

wannab@dis

However I know that its important to inject some levity into the conversation as well. Students are more apt to learn that way than if I stood up on a podium and lectured at them from my superior mind.
Very good analogy! I know that I did my best to stay as far away from those dry, boring and condescending (grand?) professors. But, I was always trying to grab the courses where the classroom setting was fun. You can enjoy learning, but it's all about the environment.

But wait, this is a THEME PARK... a VACATION... it should be first and foremost about ENTERTAINMENT! Because, just like that college class, the guests will gravitate to the entertainment and leave the dry and boring stuff alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom