Spaceship Earth Decent Upgrades?

Enigma

Account Suspended
Are they going to put something (special effect/scene?) where the black curtain is? Also won't a song/videos on triangles "distract" from the annoying voices and horrible images coming from the lcd screens while you descend?

EPCOT Explorer

Are they going to put something (special effect/scene?) where the black curtain is? Also won't a song/videos on triangles "distract" from the annoying voices and horrible images coming from the lcd screens while you descend?

I was under the assumption that it might "compliment" them.;)

hpyhnt 1000

The neon blue was a dry run before december when siemens peeps were riding inside the big golfball. They might still be there, covered by the star curtains, which in turn are covered with black columns. Basically we are leaving the present day and heading up in a tunnel, the last part being the lit column where our picture is taken and then off we go into the stars 30,000 years in the past.

EPCOT Explorer has a diagram of the descent I did need that needs to be posted :zipit: I am having trouble posting it.

I'm not so much concerned with the triangles now, rather than other things with the triangles. Can we expect more twinkle stars, even fiber optics to compliment them?

Blue children dancing in the stars singing a certain song with Ms Cofey? :lookaroun

Ah, thank you! I actually wouldn't mind if they made that effect permanent. I kinda like it there; to me, it makes it seem more like we're being "teleportated" or "hyperspaced" back to the past as oppossed to just "drifting" into it.

HMF

Original Poster
Actually, while we're on the subject of glowing things on SSE, does anyone know what the lights in this video are? You can see them from 0:12-0:15.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1144320/spaceship_earth_re_launches_into_the_future_at_epcot/

They are clearly on the ascent before the portal that takes your picture, and remind me of the old "light tunnel" that was just before the 180 top in '94, but I've never seen them on. Are those "new" effects that are still being fine tuned and will be revealed later, or will we never see those things on? Also, if you look in the video, does anyone else think that the portal is much more subdued than it is today? Right now, its fairly bright and jumps out at you, but in the video, its completely blue and you can barely see it. What gives? :shrug:
Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that Bob Zalk actually thinks the new ending is inspiring?:veryconfu

hpyhnt 1000

Isn't that what that Blue and Orange Gate is?

In a sense. I was thinking that the blue lights help reinforce that effect by making it seem like you're moving at a great speed away into the past, with the portal representing the point where you slow down and begin you're "slow moving trip through time." :lookaroun :lol:

And while we're talking about that portal, why isn't there one at the end of the ride to transition you from the future back to the present? (Or is that yet to come?)

EPCOT Explorer

Ohhhh, okay. :animwink: Its just that, in the video, it was fairly clear to me that the lights were on the ascent, not at the matrix tunnel. :shrug:

And nice diagram to whoever created it. :wave:
That would be Expo.:wave:
In a sense. I was thinking that the blue lights help reinforce that effect by making it seem like you're moving at a great speed away into the past, with the portal representing the point where you slow down and begin you're "slow moving trip through time." :lookaroun :lol:

And while we're talking about that portal, why isn't there one at the end of the ride to transition you from the future back to the present? (Or is that yet to come?)

No, there is no end gate...In the old SSE, you would hear a woosh at least but this one ends abruptly.:rolleyes:

jedimaster1227

I was under the assumption that it might "compliment" them.;)

Or work in accordance with the "annoying voices and horrible images coming from the LCD screens..." In other words, building the "future scene" around you while you are seeing where you fit into the overall picture.

The future-selection software received a nice upgrade over the last few weeks allowing it to deviate from the standard opening questions that had been asked so far. Now (if everything is working properly), the questions should be randomized, making the future endings unique each time.

Figment571

Call me stubborn but I shall not be content until there is a true inspiring, vision, challenge, or moving emotional movement in the descent. There can be all the little lights they can string but it will not change the message delivered at the end. It leaves a bitter and disappointing taste in my mouth.

Pseybert

Call me stubborn but I shall not be content until there is a true inspiring, vision, challenge, or moving emotional movement in the descent. There can be all the little lights they can string but it will not change the message delivered at the end. It leaves a bitter and disappointing taste in my mouth.

Amen. The other day my touch screen crashed and rebooted Windows, and I found it a more fitting ending to Spaceship Earth than the crap they in there now.

Expo_Seeker40

I think it's safe to rule out tomorrow's child inside the ride for now ( but that doesn't mean it won't return somewhere else..just look to the sky ;))

If...if they ever went ahead and did a tomorrow's child ending, not saying now,but saying sometime down the road, the only way to have people actually looking at the triangles would be to have us ask all our questions heading up in the ascent tunnel i.e. we choose our language when we board our vehicle, and rather than wait to select where we are from, we immedietely select where we are from, than have an intro from SSE control go past the safety video screens, answer our questions, have our picture taken and then our screen turns off.

I timed this.....our video presentation would be able to fit in this way....as soon as we exit the worm hole of infinite stars, our screens turn on, showing our video, this would last in the stars section of the former gas clouds as well as the current black curtains of pepper's ghost. By the time we get to the first set of blue triangles, where they meet together at former glitter city, our video would basically be done, and turn off.

Leaving us to sit back and watch a fitting ending.

However for now, it doesn't seem that way. That doesn't mean we won't look at the triangles. Adam may be hinting to upgrades that only let you select and look at certain things on your screen, with a finale of music, multiple images, and data that really has the Siemens grandslam message they want to leave you with.

I just hope there is more to see than just blue triangles against black curtains, more blinky lights, and thingamabobs.

JWG

Here's hoping they have at least some of the new descent up and running by mid-February... SSE (and HM, among some other things) were closed during my last visit so I'm looking forward to seeing some old friends again in a few months.

EPCOT Explorer

Or work in accordance with the "annoying voices and horrible images coming from the LCD screens..." In other words, building the "future scene" around you while you are seeing where you fit into the overall picture.

The future-selection software received a nice upgrade over the last few weeks allowing it to deviate from the standard opening questions that had been asked so far. Now (if everything is working properly), the questions should be randomized, making the future endings unique each time.
Oooooh,That's a new one.Nice!
I think it's safe to rule out tomorrow's child inside the ride for now ( but that doesn't mean it won't return somewhere else..just look to the sky ;))

If...if they ever went ahead and did a tomorrow's child ending, not saying now,but saying sometime down the road, the only way to have people actually looking at the triangles would be to have us ask all our questions heading up in the ascent tunnel i.e. we choose our language when we board our vehicle, and rather than wait to select where we are from, we immedietely select where we are from, than have an intro from SSE control go past the safety video screens, answer our questions, have our picture taken and then our screen turns off.

I timed this.....our video presentation would be able to fit in this way....as soon as we exit the worm hole of infinite stars, our screens turn on, showing our video, this would last in the stars section of the former gas clouds as well as the current black curtains of pepper's ghost. By the time we get to the first set of blue triangles, where they meet together at former glitter city, our video would basically be done, and turn off.

However for now, it doesn't seem that way. That doesn't mean we won't look at the triangles. Adam may be hinting to upgrades that only let you select and look at certain things on your screen, with a finale of music, multiple images, and data that really has the Siemens grandslam message they want to leave you with.

I just hope there is more to see than just blue triangles against black curtains, more blinky lights, and thingamabobs.
Even if it was,and we had TC playing to some images on those triangles,it would ROCK.:D

hpyhnt 1000

Agreed. Triangles and blue lights are nice, but they mean nothing unless there is some kind of meaning behind them. (If trianlges and lights were all that we needed, we'd be happy with the current descent.)

If I may, may I inject my own bit of imagineering into this? :eek: Expo (BTW-great diagram), what you stated above could work as far as the questions and where the future video plays. If there's one thing I'd like to see, its maybe have the future video end a little bit sooner, like just after the beginning of where the pepper's ghosts used to be. After that, here's my vision:
  • After the video ends, our images would appear on the triangles just like they were incorporated in the future video. Where SSE '86 had images of children on the screens, SSE '07 would have our images on the screens.
  • As we make the u-turn past the old future city (and where the current cluster of trianlges is now), our images would follow us. In front of and around the converging triangles, a new future city would be situated. As we go past the new future city, or images would leap to the cluster trianlges and follow those triangles down into the city. This would symbolize how we will play a role in the shaping of the future.
  • As we turn to make our final descent, we would see the faces of other passengers follow ours into the city, symbolizing that we have to create a future that is favorable for everyone, not just ourselves.
  • As we proceed down the final descent tunnel, we'd be surrounded by lights and fiber optic effects, mixed in with more triangles depicting images and ideas of the future. (If Disney wanted to be really clever, the trianlges could showcase ideas that are related to other FW pavilions; i.e.- farming innovations (The Land), wind turbines, solar (UoE), underwater colonies (The Seas), space colonies on distant planets (Mission: Space))
  • As far as music and narration, the narration would reflect how we must build a future for everyone, and join together to solve our problems "to create a better world" for the next generation. The music would remain the same up until the future city. After that, a newly imagined Tomorrow's Child would be heard all the way into the unload area.
(Sorry if what I said above sounds a bit repetative, since I know I've repeated that idea a few times, but I think it would be nice, and it works around whats already in place)

Exactly. When I think of the ways the new SSE has been "dumbed down," its the meaning, message, and challenge that was so present in versions '94, '86, and '82 that is missing in '07. That definitely must come back.

EPCOT Explorer

Agreed. Triangles and blue lights are nice, but they mean nothing unless there is some kind of meaning behind them. (If trianlges and lights were all that we needed, we'd be happy with the current descent.)

If I may, may I inject my own bit of imagineering into this? :eek: Expo (BTW-great diagram), what you stated above could work as far as the questions and where the future video plays. If there's one thing I'd like to see, its maybe have the future video end a little bit sooner, like just after the beginning of where the pepper's ghosts used to be. After that, here's my vision:
  • After the video ends, our images would appear on the triangles just like they were incorporated in the future video. Where SSE '86 had images of children on the screens, SSE '07 would have our images on the screens.
  • As we make the u-turn past the old future city (and where the current cluster of trianlges is now), our images would follow us. In front of and around the converging triangles, a new future city would be situated. As we go past the new future city, or images would leap to the cluster trianlges and follow those triangles down into the city. This would symbolize how we will play a role in the shaping of the future.
  • As we turn to make our final descent, we would see the faces of other passengers follow ours into the city, symbolizing that we have to create a future that is favorable for everyone, not just ourselves.
  • As we proceed down the final descent tunnel, we'd be surrounded by lights and fiber optic effects, mixed in with more triangles depicting images and ideas of the future. (If Disney wanted to be really clever, the trianlges could showcase ideas that are related to other FW pavilions; i.e.- farming innovations (The Land), wind turbines, solar (UoE), underwater colonies (The Seas), space colonies on distant planets (Mission: Space))
  • As far as music and narration, the narration would reflect how we must build a future for everyone, and join together to solve our problems "to create a better world" for the next generation. The music would remain the same up until the future city. After that, a newly imagined Tomorrow's Child would be heard all the way into the unload area.
(Sorry if what I said above sounds a bit repetative, since I know I've repeated that idea a few times, but I think it would be nice, and it works around whats already in place)

Exactly. When I think of the ways the new SSE has been "dumbed down," its the meaning, message, and challenge that was so present in versions '94, '86, and '82 that is missing in '07. That definitely must come back.

I would LOVE to see that...It would truely unify and make SSE the "icon" of EPCOT it is...Just throw in some international stuff to placate WS too.:D

Expo_Seeker40

Here are some pics from my evac back in January 08

Here we are leaving the gas clouds area, and making our way down into the pepper's ghost area. The extension with lights on the right is what used to hold the set pieces above it for the pepper's ghost. On the left side is (still covered) star curtains covering either the glass sets still there, or covering up their remnants. As far as I know, the curtains have gone dark and no longer have stars twinkling like they did during the soft previews.

9rjdav.png

This is the curve in the track to where glitter city would have been. I'm sure the city was gone by the time the ride soft opened in December, but the entire area was left with stretched out and stapled star curtains. These have since been removed and show the first of many blue triangles.

2vkdgyc.png

Here's what the glitter city area looks like now (from Martins video)

juvb87.png

The ending corridor, consisting of the netted dome in which triangles would eventually be hanging from. Around us were nooks, one of them holding the former 1994 SSE model globe (no longer there), there was construction equipment tucked in these nooks, and nothing else but black sound proof panneled walls. Further down was a combination of dark 1994 curtains, as well as grey star curtains from the 2007 version.

anrx5.png

EPCOT Explorer

Here are some pics from my evac back in January 08

Here we are leaving the gas clouds area, and making our way down into the pepper's ghost area. The extension with lights on the right is what used to hold the set pieces above it for the pepper's ghost. On the left side is (still covered) star curtains covering either the glass sets still there, or covering up their remnants. As far as I know, the curtains have gone dark and no longer have stars twinkling like they did during the soft previews.

9rjdav.png

This is the curve in the track to where glitter city would have been. I'm sure the city was gone by the time the ride soft opened in December, but the entire area was left with stretched out and stapled star curtains. These have since been removed and show the first of many blue triangles.

2vkdgyc.png

Here's what the glitter city area looks like now (from Martins video)

juvb87.png

The ending corridor, consisting of the netted dome in which triangles would eventually be hanging from. Around us were nooks, one of them holding the former 1994 SSE model globe (no longer there), there was construction equipment tucked in these nooks, and nothing else but black sound proof panneled walls. Further down was a combination of dark 1994 curtains, as well as grey star curtains from the 2007 version.

anrx5.png

You couldn't have "tripped" on the stairs and "fallen" into the curtains and thus pulled them down?:lookaroun:lol:

hpyhnt 1000

I would LOVE to see that...It would truely unify and make SSE the "icon" of EPCOT it is...Just throw in some international stuff to placate WS too.:D

Oh, if you insist. :rolleyes: :) I'm thinking you could probably do that in the future city. Y'know, an Eiffel Tower looking thing here, an asian Pagoda thing there; they could mix and match a bit. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom