Spaceship Earth Burning Rome Scene

I_heart_Tigger

Yeah. That's me. Mr. Doom and Gloom. LMAO :ROFLOL: Nice. :rolleyes:

Two people contradicted me so I am absolutely wrong? LOL THAT seems like an exaggeration to me. You haven't actually sat back and read what you're sending have you? Just drop it. I don't really care any longer. I love going to Disney, I dislike arguing with people who feel that they need to start magnified crap with everyone, and Disney does need to improve things. It is just plain sad that you think they give a crap about your letters. :rolleyes: But you keep sending them if it makes you feel better.:wave: now, I have much better things to do with my time than to waste it going back and forth with someone looking for an arguement where there is none. Have a nice day. :D

Not that I really want to get in the middle of anything here but I believe that what she was saying is that the absoluteness of the idea that Disney doesn't care about any letters ever sent to them is wrong because people have proof that Disney has responded without a "canned reply" to their letters.

Honestly I don't know if that was what you were trying to say - that every single letter that goes to Disney is disregarded and not considered important. If that's the case then I disagree with you as my experience has been different.

However if you're saying that Disney sometimes gives canned responses to letters then sure, they do. I also have experience with that. I didn't really expect a CM to be fired or reprimanded by my one letter of how I felt they were rude but it made me feel better to write it - also made me feel better to write about the 2 great CM's who went above what I would consider the normal call of duty. I hope they got some recognition of that but I also wonder if the letter ended up in a stack of letters and they just hit - "response #137" and generated an e-mail to me.

Personally, I like to know what attractions are under refurb especially Test Track in particular because I may be able to ride it on the first 2 days of my trip but then it will be closed...that way I can make sure I hit Epcot within the first couple days. If I can't ride it, it won't ruin my trip at all but in this case I can adjust my schedule. Also I like to see - even from home - when attractions are being updated especially if I noticed something on my last trip that made me think the attraction is due for a refurb (major or minor)

As for a letter writing campaign about the smell in the Rome scene - frankly I have my doubts that the higher ups even know that it's an issue but if enough people and CM's complained about it then you don't know - maybe something will be done. It has happened before (btw if you enjoy Off Kilter as entertainment, you're welcome - that was purely a CM and guest campaign to have better entertainment in the Canadian pavilion. If don't don't enjoy them then my apologies :lol:) and it may happen again. It just has to get to the right person who can actually do something about it and will actually cause the ball to start rolling - and hopefully give the ball a push to speed it up a bit :rolleyes:

I_heart_Tigger

Here are my experiences with contacting Disney. If it is to give accolades, they contacted me personally, thanked me, and let me know the person I wrote about will be recognized. If I write in with a negative experience, I am either ignored or sent a form letter, telling me they apologize I feel disappointed.

That whole "apologize if I feel disappointed" is the biggest non-apology in my book. They remove the burden of meeting my expectations from themselves and place it on me.

Just out of curiosity, and you don't have to go into the specifics of your complaint, but what were you hoping for? Do you think it would have been an easy "fix"? If so maybe it's something you could have escalated if you felt strongly about it. There is always someone "above" the person you were speaking to...never hurts to ask who else you can speak to about it. Maybe that's what needs to be done next time. Don't hesitate to ask for someone else if you feel you are not getting decent service....that's a general rule for companies, not just a Disney one.

I did that when the merchandise I bought turned out to be less than par - which I didn't find out until after I got home. The first person offered an apology that I didn't find their merchandise satisfactory and the 2nd person mailed me a new product. Just following the squeaky wheel theory there but obviously that "quick fix" won't work if you asking for something major.

Now if you were telling them how much you hate Stitch and you would like his attraction closed I think you might be out of luck on that one :lol:

Thunder Fan

Was on spaceship earth 2x today - 1st time no smell -2nd time maybe a hint of the smell but nothing like usual. I mentioned it to the load crew and they gave me a confused look...

Freshee61

Was on spaceship earth 2x today - 1st time no smell -2nd time maybe a hint of the smell but nothing like usual. I mentioned it to the load crew and they gave me a confused look...

:cry:
Say it isn't so!
There is just nooooo justification for them taking out that smell !!! :dazzle:

Ps thanks for the update on the real matter at hand:(

Captain Chaos

Maybe the smell isn't really a big deal, but this is one of the little things, that attention to detail, everyone loves to talk about with Disney... This is what is supposed to separate Disney from the competition... Slowly they are removing that attention to detail... They are slowly removing those little things that add to the experience... Dumbing it down, or dare I use a '74 phrase, Walmarting attractions and entertainment....

Complain people... Complain... Write letters... Make sure you throw it up in their faces what separates Disney from the rest, and lately, the competition is stomping all over the mouse...

Scuttle

Maybe the smell isn't really a big deal, but this is one of the little things, that attention to detail, everyone loves to talk about with Disney... This is what is supposed to separate Disney from the competition... Slowly they are removing that attention to detail... They are slowly removing those little things that add to the experience... Dumbing it down, or dare I use a '74 phrase, Walmarting attractions and entertainment....

Complain people... Complain... Write letters... Make sure you throw it up in their faces what separates Disney from the rest, and lately, the competition is stomping all over the mouse...

Oh the competition is stomping all over the mouse house. I recently went to BG Tampa and was blown away with the upkeep of that park and I frequently visit UO and the same thing is going over there. Eventually Disney isn't going to be able to live off the name anymore. Eventually the product will diminish to the point where first time visitors will begin to notice.

Captain Chaos

Oh the competition is stomping all over the mouse house. I recently went to BG Tampa and was blown away with the upkeep of that park and I frequently visit UO and the same thing is going over there. Eventually Disney isn't going to be able to live off the name anymore. Eventually the product will diminish to the point where first time visitors will begin to notice.

I guess, to TDO, it doesn't matter as long as fanbois foam at the mouth at a wrap on the monorail depicting the competition's characters and retro shirts and retro pins... Why try and keep the attention to detail as part of the Disney way anymore????

AEfx

Here are my experiences with contacting Disney. If it is to give accolades, they contacted me personally, thanked me, and let me know the person I wrote about will be recognized. If I write in with a negative experience, I am either ignored or sent a form letter, telling me they apologize I feel disappointed.

That whole "apologize if I feel disappointed" is the biggest non-apology in my book. They remove the burden of meeting my expectations from themselves and place it on me.

1) The reason you get that kind of letter is both a legal thing, and an Internet thing. Someone gets a letter saying they are looking at fixing X, someone posts it to the Internet, and if it doesn't happen for whatever reason, it's bad PR. It's also a fact that a customer relations department is not going to have the authority or the knowledge to promise anything in particular will be fixed.

And, frankly, Disney is a corporation and in spite of what we may think at a board like this, it's really none of our business when or if anything will be fixed. Removing the burden of meeting your expectations and placing it on you is exactly what it is meant to do, and it should. While in many cases (including this one) I agree that the effect should be fixed, it's their park - if it bothers us enough, we don't have to go any more. That's not making excuses for them, but it is acknowledging the reality of the situation. If enough people stop going because of it, then they will take action. Welcome to the real reason the Yeti has been left to rot.

2) It sounds like you've complained to them a lot, based on how knowledgeable you claim to be about their responses. Disney keeps everything on file, has a complete record of any dealings you have had with the company (financially, verbally, written). Rightly so, the more you seem like a "complainer", the less they are going to look into your situation/issue.

WED Purist

Let me add...

1) The reason you get that kind of letter is both a legal thing, and an Internet thing. Someone gets a letter saying they are looking at fixing X, someone posts it to the Internet, and if it doesn't happen for whatever reason, it's bad PR. It's also a fact that a customer relations department is not going to have the authority or the knowledge to promise anything in particular will be fixed.

And, frankly, Disney is a corporation and in spite of what we may think at a board like this, it's really none of our business when or if anything will be fixed. Removing the burden of meeting your expectations and placing it on you is exactly what it is meant to do, and it should. While in many cases (including this one) I agree that the effect should be fixed, it's their park - if it bothers us enough, we don't have to go any more. That's not making excuses for them, but it is acknowledging the reality of the situation. If enough people stop going because of it, then they will take action. Welcome to the real reason the Yeti has been left to rot.

2) It sounds like you've complained to them a lot, based on how knowledgeable you claim to be about their responses. Disney keeps everything on file, has a complete record of any dealings you have had with the company (financially, verbally, written). Rightly so, the more you seem like a "complainer", the less they are going to look into your situation/issue.

and 3) It's not WDI's fault when things that have been operational for years stop working, or get removed. That would be the responsibility of park mainetenance.

Sans Souci

Just so you know I have been going to WDW since 1979 and I have complained twice, but have written way more letters of praise--usually for servers. The complaints were service-related and not an operational issue. We were given a dirty room at BCV (paying cash), but told we could not get assistance with moving our luggage, since it was the first day of Free Dining and they were over loaded at Bell Services. No apologies. Call me crazy, but I expect better service at the Deluxe level. Should I adjust my expectations accordingly next time?

If that makes me sound like who has "complained to them a lot" or a "complainer", so be it.

Sometimes, I feel like people think you're an entitled person if you expect the services and goods for which you've paid dearly and as consumers we should be grateful for anything Disney throws at us.

ETA: Upon reading my post, I realize it comes across as snarky. I just spent the past 2 days cooking/preparing a big Easter dinner and I'm just shattered. My delivery stinks, but the sentiment is still there.

celluloid

Just so you know I have been going to WDW since 1979 and I have complained twice, but have written way more letters of praise--usually for servers. The complaints were service-related and not an operational issue. We were given a dirty room at BCV (paying cash), but told we could not get assistance with moving our luggage, since it was the first day of Free Dining and they were over loaded at Bell Services. No apologies. Call me crazy, but I expect better service at the Deluxe level. Should I adjust my expectations accordingly next time?

If that makes me sound like who has "complained to them a lot" or a "complainer", so be it.

Sometimes, I feel like people think you're an entitled person if you expect the services and goods for which you've paid dearly and as consumers we should be grateful for anything Disney throws at us.

ETA: Upon reading my post, I realize it comes across as snarky. I just spent the past 2 days cooking/preparing a big Easter dinner and I'm just shattered. My delivery stinks, but the sentiment is still there.

I don't find it snarky. When you pay for something and are honestly not satisfied you have a right to voice your opinion and a good company will do their best to make it right. Especially when you are the brand that Disney is supposed to be.

Buried20KLeague

I wanted to echo Scuttle's sentiments regarding Busch Gardens Tampa. We peeled a day off the Disney parks last month to check it out, and we were utterly impressed. So much so that we're thinking about becoming passholders.

We bought our tickets online and got the "food and drink included" tickets, which allowed us to basically eat almost anywhere we wanted, and as much as we wanted. There was one restaurant not included, and there were a handful of items at other locations not included, however that was the exception rather than the rule. We thought the food was absolutely wonderful for park fare. The smokehouse food was VERY VERY good, as were the fajita wraps right inside the park entrance.

Beyond the food, we thought the theming was great, and the newer areas of the parks had very inventive ways of interacting with the animals in their habitats. The park was clean. There was a LOT for our 3 year old to do as well as the big steel for our older kids (and us:D).

The one complaint I had (and it was a HUGE one) was that loaders at attractions were HORRIBLY slow. I'm talking, like, only dispatching one train every 4 to 5 minutes kind of slow. It was unbelievable. But putting that aside, we had every bit as good an experience there as at the Disney parks... Maybe even better when you take into account the food/drink situation.

Anyway... Sorry to thread drift. I just wanted to make the point that Scuttle's right. The gap is closing, and fast. Disney's ability to trade off nostalgia can't last forever.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Disney marketing campaign a few years from now is "But... But... Uh... WE'VE GOT MICKEY MOUSE!!!!!!!!!!" :brick:

PirateFrank

Strange, I was on it yesterday afternoon and it was there...maybe not as strong as it has been in the past....but the scent was unmistakably there!

scout68

Originally posted by AEfx
"And, frankly, Disney is a corporation and in spite of what we may think at a board like this, it's really none of our business when or if anything will be fixed. Removing the burden of meeting your expectations and placing it on you is exactly what it is meant to do, and it should. While in many cases (including this one) I agree that the effect should be fixed, it's their park - if it bothers us enough, we don't have to go any more. That's not making excuses for them, but it is acknowledging the reality of the situation. If enough people stop going because of it, then they will take action. Welcome to the real reason the Yeti has been left to rot."

I respectfully disagree with this entire statement.
I purchase a ticket with the belief that the attractions that the ticket allows me access to are open and functional (realizing that machines fail and need maintenance). The company has the responsibility to provide the product that they have sold you.

Splash should be splashing, Big Thunder should be thundering and Rome Should be burning. Selling me the pass Makes It My Business.

aladdin2007

Originally posted by AEfx
"And, frankly, Disney is a corporation and in spite of what we may think at a board like this, it's really none of our business when or if anything will be fixed. Removing the burden of meeting your expectations and placing it on you is exactly what it is meant to do, and it should. While in many cases (including this one) I agree that the effect should be fixed, it's their park - if it bothers us enough, we don't have to go any more. That's not making excuses for them, but it is acknowledging the reality of the situation. If enough people stop going because of it, then they will take action. Welcome to the real reason the Yeti has been left to rot."

I respectfully disagree with this entire statement.
I purchase a ticket with the belief that the attractions that the ticket allows me access to are open and functional (realizing that machines fail and need maintenance). The company has the responsibility to provide the product that they have sold you.

Splash should be splashing, Big Thunder should be thundering and Rome Should be burning. Selling me the pass Makes It My Business

Amen brother!!

rsoxguy

I cannot believe it*head in hands* the smell wasn't really there ....I just rode it today:(
Waaa

Strange, I was on it yesterday afternoon and it was there...maybe not as strong as it has been in the past....but the scent was unmistakably there!

I have found that the scent is there at times, and missing at times. When it's "on", the scent is not nearly as strong as it was in the past. My theory has always been that perhaps a boat-load of guests complain that the scent of burning wood bothered them, and Disney responded accordingly. Who knows.

Oddysey

The smell effect was definitely not turned on last night. I rode it about 6:30pm.

I have found that the scent is there at times, and missing at times. When it's "on", the scent is not nearly as strong as it was in the past. My theory has always been that perhaps a boat-load of guests complain that the scent of burning wood bothered them, and Disney responded accordingly. Who knows.

I hope this is not true. The smell has been there for years and years. Besides what a frivilous thing to complain about. Even if it did bother an individual, the smell only last for a short while, and could be filtered by simply holding ones shirt collar over their nose for about 15 to 20 seconds.

I wonder what other smells the offendees would complain about. One would think Stitches chilly dog would not stand a chance in this day and age.

maxairmike

The smell of Rome burning can be smelt in quite a larger area than the show scene, especially at certain times of the evening. I enjoy it, but there were days I rode over the last few years where I thought it was ridiculously over-bearing. If they've just toned it down, I don't really have a problem. Removing it completely, yeah. But there's really no reason to have it so strong that you can smell it walking down from the Fountain of Nations until you get past the entrance fountain (yes, I've had that happen many times).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom