Spaceship Earth Burning Rome Scene

Oddysey

I would think that Stitch himself wouldn't sand a chance these days. But that is a whole other issue. :brick:

Absolutely. :ROFLOL:

The smell of Rome burning can be smelt in quite a larger area than the show scene, especially at certain times of the evening. I enjoy it, but there were days I rode over the last few years where I thought it was ridiculously over-bearing. If they've just toned it down, I don't really have a problem. Removing it completely, yeah. But there's really no reason to have it so strong that you can smell it walking down from the Fountain of Nations until you get past the entrance fountain (yes, I've had that happen many times).

You must have a very acute sense of smell because I have walked by these areas 500+ times ( no exageration) and have never smelled the rome burning seen. Now if the wind is blowing in the right direction I can smell the loading area for SSE near the entrance fountain, but the loading area smells nothing like the rome burning scene.

I have never been able to smell either one from the Fountain of Nations. The smell around the Fountain of Nations is usually consumed by Electric Umbrella (burgers) on one side or the Fountain View (ice cream etc.) on the other side. Sometimes the smell of the Coral Reef Restaurant permeates into this area, but never the rome burning scene. There is far too many smells in this area that will overpower a single room in a building several stories high that is hundreds of feet in distance.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Maybe smokers in the area smoking where they shouldn't be? :lookaroun

Which brings to mind a possible reason why Disney discontinued the smell.

Perhaps there were too many people mistakenly complained that someone was smoking in SSE.

So instead of making the customers feel foolish for thinking this. they just stopped the source of the complaints.

I purchase a ticket with the belief that the attractions that the ticket allows me access to are open and functional (realizing that machines fail and need maintenance). The company has the responsibility to provide the product that they have sold you.

Splash should be splashing, Big Thunder should be thundering and Rome Should be burning. Selling me the pass Makes It My Business.

I totally agree with this. On the other hand, when the parks slack off in their show quality and see no impact on ticket sales, food/gift sales, and ride capacity, a profit-hungry company is going to see little reason to put forth effort at spending money that they might perceive as not a priority. It would take a flood of complaints at guest services and a big drop in ridership, as well as a complaint from Seimens to get them to resolve the issue.

Is it possible that a bevy of moms concerned about their asthmatic children complained about the smell's intensity and Disney responded with reducing it to just a bare whiff? Definitely. Was it ever strong enough to be smelt around the park? No! You must be part Bloodhound if you could somehow smell it elsewhere in the park. I could never smell it any further than the Rome area of the ride.

So, either something is not working right or it's deliberate. If it is deliberate, why is it suddenly a problem? The inconsistency of the smell is what leads me to believe it's some sort of malfunction, though.

maxairmike

Absolutely. :ROFLOL:

You must have a very acute sense of smell because I have walked by these areas 500+ times ( no exageration) and have never smelled the rome burning seen. Now if the wind is blowing in the right direction I can smell the loading area for SSE near the entrance fountain, but the loading area smells nothing like the rome burning scene.

I have never been able to smell either one from the Fountain of Nations. The smell around the Fountain of Nations is usually consumed by Electric Umbrella (burgers) on one side or the Fountain View (ice cream etc.) on the other side. Sometimes the smell of the Coral Reef Restaurant permeates into this area, but never the rome burning scene. There is far too many smells in this area that will overpower a single room in a building several stories high that is hundreds of feet in distance.

I do think I have a more acute sense of smell, but everything I said is 100% no exaggeration. Of course, there were not so many competing smells most of the times I walked through there at night, so it was really the only smell other than the chlorine of the water in the fountain. The few occasions I was also able to smell it down by the entrance fountain as well were days where the smell hit me as soon as I walked into the load area.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I do think I have a more acute sense of smell, but everything I said is 100% no exaggeration. Of course, there were not so many competing smells most of the times I walked through there at night, so it was really the only smell other than the chlorine of the water in the fountain. The few occasions I was also able to smell it down by the entrance fountain as well were days where the smell hit me as soon as I walked into the load area.

I smelled it too, except it was at my house in Tampa and it was actually from a forest fire :p

G00fyDad

Which brings to mind a possible reason why Disney discontinued the smell.

Perhaps there were too many people mistakenly complained that someone was smoking in SSE.

So instead of making the customers feel foolish for thinking this. they just stopped the source of the complaints.

Maybe. I was just joking with that one. :lol: I don't see how anyone could actually get the two smells confused. But I suppose there may be some that could.

Oddysey

I smelled it too, except it was at my house in Tampa and it was actually from a forest fire :p

Are sure it was a forest fire and not the burning Rome scene in SSE? Tampa is only about 85 miles from Orlando, and the the burning Rome scene smell has been known to be very strong at times.

Tom Morrow

I respectfully disagree with this entire statement.
I purchase a ticket with the belief that the attractions that the ticket allows me access to are open and functional (realizing that machines fail and need maintenance). The company has the responsibility to provide the product that they have sold you.

Splash should be splashing, Big Thunder should be thundering and Rome Should be burning. Selling me the pass Makes It My Business.
I agree with your statement with the exception of Big Thunder, because, as you said, rides need maintenance and upkeep, and TDO's reluctance to occasionally shut rides down for refurbishment is part of the reason the rides end up in a dilapidated state in the first place.

celluloid

I agree with your statement with the exception of Big Thunder, because, as you said, rides need maintenance and upkeep, and TDO's reluctance to occasionally shut rides down for refurbishment is part of the reason the rides end up in a dilapidated state in the first place.

Not to mention the fact that lack of responsible upkeep is what causes rides to go down for MONTHS AT A TIME refurbishments.

Scuttle

Rode SSE today and just wanted to report that the Rome is burning scene is A LOT different. Can you still smell it? Yes, but barely. Sad that my two favorite smells in all of WDW are gone (Poly, SSE).

Also a broken effects update. The giant wheel in the printing press scene was not working.

montyz81

Rode SSE today and just wanted to report that the Rome is burning scene is A LOT different. Can you still smell it? Yes, but barely. Sad that my two favorite smells in all of WDW are gone (Poly, SSE).

Also a broken effects update. The giant wheel in the printing press scene was not working.
Noticed the wheel yesterday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom