Space Mountain/Tomorrowland Transit Authority update...

WDW Vacationer

Time to buy some of this:

picture.php

3 Cans for this infestation.

And a friendly reminder:

picture.php

Or TrollS in this case.

RandySavage

Somewhere a few pages back someone mentioned how, once upon a time, when construction walls went up, he was - without exception - excited in his anticipation of the wonders Disney was creating.

Fast forward a decade or two. Today, when those walls go up his feelings of excitement and enthusiasm have been replaced by trepidation at how Disney will be diminishing some aspect of the park.

Whoever said that hit the nail on the head, and it is sad reflection on the state of affairs, the shifting of baselines and our lowered expectations.

Why is that opinion, which is right and defensible, being called "trolling?"

Blaming weak attractions on small budgets is a cop out. Being an imagineer is all about dreaming big, but also creating something on a budget that still amazes/inspires/thrills. There have been plenty of lackluster attractions that had enormous budgets (Test Track, Dinosaur, Mission:Space to name a few). And there have been low-budget additions that are great (Haunted Mansion reno). Design/writing/execution (within a budget) are at fault in bad attractions, just as they responsible for winner attractions.

I think WDI still does some things well, but there was a time when they batted .750+ and you could safely bet that what they were cooking up would be a hit. Now they bat around .245 and there is the constant fear they will strike out. Why? A) Less talented show writers, B) corporate-mandated synergy at the expense of theme coherence, C) operating expenses which don't allow them to stretch budgets as far they should be able to.

HMF

Nope, I'm pretty sure the Imagineers are the ones that are doing the horrible writing, sound design, and unreliable ride system "upgrades", which is basically the downfall of every project of the last 5 years. Having embarrassing dialogue on the TTA stating that the Carousel of Progress has four families has absolutely nothing to do with budgets. It's simple incompetence. Between the cringe-inducing script and the horrible sound quality, the imagineers are solely responsible for making yet another classic attraction unridable. See Spaceship Earth and the Backlot Tour for other examples. Then there's the Tower of Terror, whose audio was "upgraded" almost a year ago, yet has been horribly out of sync every since. Everything the imagineers touch, they screw up. It's really pretty simple.
It cannot be denied that the Show Writing aspect has gone downhill and that is the Imagineers fault. What's even more amazing is how one Imagineering Show Writer (Pam Fisher) can write a dreadful' dumbed-down, we think our audience is stupid, script'(Spaceship Earth) and follow it with a masterpiece.(Hall of Presidents)
BTW' ryno the "4 families script was actually written by the original Imagineers for the old Peoplemover before 1994. Oh and stating valid opinions is not trolling in my book.

dweezil78

Whoever said that hit the nail on the head, and it is sad reflection on the state of affairs, the shifting of baselines and our lowered expectations.

Why is that opinion, which is right and defensible, being called "trolling?"

I have to agree. I'm a bit of a newbie here, but what I've seen at least in this thread is hard to label as "trolling." Strongly worded (and maybe a bit immature) -- yes. But valid all the same. On the other hand, lengthening a thread with jumbo sized pics accusing some of trolling... well, anyways. :)

WDW Vacationer

I have to agree. I'm a bit of a newbie here, but what I've seen at least in this thread is hard to label as "trolling." Strongly worded (and maybe a bit immature) -- yes. But valid all the same. On the other hand, lengthening a thread with jumbo sized pics accusing some of trolling... well, anyways. :)
They are purposely saying things that are trying to cause issues,that makes them a troll.

mcjaco

What's even more amazing is how one Imagineering Show Writer (Pam Fisher) can write can write a dreadful' dumbed-down, we think our audience is stupid script'(Spaceship Earth) and follow it with a masterpiece.(Hall of Presidents)

Is this any different than a musical artist writing an awesome song, then having a bust as well? It's not as easy as some of you like to think.

TheBeatles

O and no Im not saying Stitch is on par with those great attractions, I dont think I ever said that. But in no way is it a horrible attraction either, the only resentment people have is that it took over AE. It is the same exact ride just "supposedly" less scary for kids. Which I can argue is false because of the amount of screaming kids i see on that ride. I miss X-S though:cry:, and can live without stitch

I disagree. I think their resentment is aimed at how vapid the attraction is.

While you do have to wonder about some of the choices Imagineering makes, you cannot blame them for lack luster work. Look at Tokyo DisneySea and try to make the same argument that they've lost the touch.

Anticitizen One

I disagree. I think their resentment is aimed at how vapid the attraction is.

While you do have to wonder about some of the choices Imagineering makes, you cannot blame them for lack luster work. Look at Tokyo DisneySea and try to make the same argument that they've lost the touch.

True but keep in mind several members of the Tokyo Disneysea team was laid off and Steve Kirk, who I believe was the lead designer (and also the creator of Figment) left the company to start his own business.

Good news that the Hall of Presidents new script is good. I will hopefully be checking it out next week.

ORG13

So stating opinions is trolling and immature?, I guess, im not trying to instigate anything, just trying to put my input in.

So minority opinions=either stupid, immature, or trolling, nice.

Glad to see I cant state my opinions without being called a troll

jt04

Great, now that that's cleared up, have you met my friend jt04?

And by this you mean what? :shrug:

I appreciate you going after the trolls. Saves me the trouble. If your lumping me with con then you are way off the mark. Just sayin.

MousDad

And by this you mean what? :shrug:

I appreciate you going after the trolls. Saves me the trouble. If your lumping me with con then you are way off the mark. Just sayin.

Actually, no. Believe it or not I wasn't taking a jab at you, this time. :p

I thought a conversation between you and Anticitizen would have been quite interesting. That's all.

jt04

Actually, no. Believe it or not I wasn't taking a jab at you, this time. :p

I thought a conversation between you and Anticitizen would have been quite interesting. That's all.

Got it. Thanks, but I've been warned to back off so I appreciate others taking up the "fight". They turned another forum (which I won't name) into a virtual ghost town and I believe they would like to do the same here. As if the general positivity here is a problem. They just can't stand positive talk and people enjoying themselves.

Something utterly corrupt about that.

IMO. :cool:

EPCOT Explorer

Saw that the othernight.... seems like there's more.
Well, if they can add a new projector there.....:lookaroun:D

Right, go to Tokyo DisneySea if you want to see what Imagineers can do with a massive budget!
EXACTLY.

Yes are they going to clean the outside, a pearly white mountain would look great at night....with lighting as well:lookaroun
Hopefully...as they should.
I love that you guys give the Imagineers grief like you could do their jobs so much better. Its funny.

Heres a perfect anology; much like those sim games, you can chose either to be in i guess "real" mode or "sandbox" mode. What the imagineers really want and what you and want is "sandbox" (concept art ect.) mode where no rules apply and everything is great. But in reallity it is just the "real" mode. And the things they want done they either have to "half do" to make it appear or just cut it completely.

But you guys keep thinking that it the Imagineers that are making things horrible.

Nope, I'm pretty sure the Imagineers are the ones that are doing the horrible writing, sound design, and unreliable ride system "upgrades", which is basically the downfall of every project of the last 5 years. Having embarrassing dialogue on the TTA stating that the Carousel of Progress has four families has absolutely nothing to do with budgets. It's simple incompetence. Between the cringe-inducing script and the horrible sound quality, the imagineers are solely responsible for making yet another classic attraction unridable. See Spaceship Earth and the Backlot Tour for other examples. Then there's the Tower of Terror, whose audio was "upgraded" almost a year ago, yet has been horribly out of sync every since. Everything the imagineers touch, they screw up. It's really pretty simple.

Hmm. Both of these two posts, I think, show the VERY extreme sides of this issue...and honestly, although wishywashy, I would take a middle ground...and say that the fault rests on both. YES, Management and corporate do not allocate substantial budgets to build such lavish attractions, BUT, at the same time the creativity at WDI, while ALWAYS at a high, could stand to adapt to this, a bit better. Writing, most assuredly. this might be a moot point, but writing is a solid part a attraction that doesn't need to be budgeted for, right...?:lookaroun You just need a good author/writer. That part, yes...I feel that the blame in on WDI. Other parts, such as lavish rides, and the scope of attractions? Nope. That's TDO/Corporate. WDI could, as said, go nuts with that untapped budget. Writing, though....;) That's pure creation that's FREE in the sense. You don't need materials, construction and refurb walls for that...

...Except in your head.:lol:

ryno1982, ORG13 and Anticitizen One:

While very entertaining, your charade is not fooling anyone. Your coordinated troll infestation is obvious. Do you guys have the guts to say who you are and what forum you hail from?

There's a guy named mousermerf over at LP who came down with a sudden projectile effusion of anti-WDI rhetoric this week. Either of you guys ever met him (like in the mirror)?
:sohappy:

dweezil78

Does anyone hang out in the Imagaineering forum on here? Would be cool to move this discussion there and keep this about Space Mountain/TTA so I won't feel so guilty chiming in on the subject -- haha! I definitely have lots to say on it, as most of you do it seems, but I hate to hijack someone's thread intended for something else.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Somewhere a few pages back someone mentioned how, once upon a time, when construction walls went up, he was - without exception - excited in his anticipation of the wonders Disney was creating.

I won't disagree with that, but back in the old days, we also didn't get the inside information way ahead about what things were coming/going.

Back in the old days we waited to see what Disney was doing without having any real ideas exactly what was happening.

As far as other things, like dumbed down scripts, I DO agree with that, and the fault of that lies with WDI. I don't see why the scripts have to be made for 5 year olds to understand.

EPCOT Explorer

I won't disagree with that, but back in the old days, we also didn't get the inside information way ahead about what things were coming/going.

Back in the old days we waited to see what Disney was doing without having any real ideas exactly what was happening.

As far as other things, like dumbed down scripts, I DO agree with that, and the fault of that lies with WDI. I don't see why the scripts have to be made for 5 year olds to understand.
Exactly...the electronic babble is a blessing and a curse. ;)

5 Y/o's? I guess that's the "Family" demographic...:hurl:

ryanduggers

I went over to that other "place" to see what was going on.

My hat is off to CBOMB & Epcot Explorer for standing up for WDWMagic & against certain well-known trolls that do seem to be out to cause trouble here again.

they should get a prize.

Good work, men.

but dilligence is always required when good people want to talk about WDW, so we must all support our brave troll fighters.

tom

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom