Space Mountain Speaker Tests?

ToTBellHop

Today on Screamscape. Seems in line with what could actually happen on our SM:

Park News - (8/24/10) When last year’s rehab of Space Mountain took place the number one most requested improvement to the ride by guests was to add the same style onboard audio system that has made the rides in Paris, California and even Hong Kong so popular. While Disney failed to include this improvement to the attraction at the time, I had heard a rumor at the time that they would look into adding a sound-system to the attraction at a later date, through the use of mounted speakers alongside the track.
While this clearly wasn’t the ideal solution to the problem, it did open up the possibility to adding something new to the ride in the future. According to a new rumor sent my way Disney may now be making early preparations for adding a soundtrack of some kind to Space Mountain now, though given the impossibility to have anything truly synchronized to the movement of the trains in this kind of environment, especially with dual tracks running through the mountain, I’m thinking it may end up being more of an ambient background track more than anything else. Or perhaps a series of small event driven sound effects, like the existing blue tunnels and red re-entry tunnel. More when I find out

JustInTime

Park News - (8/24/10) When last year’s rehab of Space Mountain took place the number one most requested improvement to the ride by guests was to add the same style onboard audio system that has made the rides in Paris, California and even Hong Kong so popular. While Disney failed to include this improvement to the attraction at the time, I had heard a rumor at the time that they would look into adding a sound-system to the attraction at a later date, through the use of mounted speakers alongside the track.
While this clearly wasn’t the ideal solution to the problem, it did open up the possibility to adding something new to the ride in the future. According to a new rumor sent my way Disney may now be making early preparations for adding a soundtrack of some kind to Space Mountain now, though given the impossibility to have anything truly synchronized to the movement of the trains in this kind of environment, especially with dual tracks running through the mountain, I’m thinking it may end up being more of an ambient background track more than anything else. Or perhaps a series of small event driven sound effects, like the existing blue tunnels and red re-entry tunnel. More when I find out

I would be nice to SOME kind of music. As long as it's not closed like it was last time I went (last year) I am fine with it.

RSoxNo1

Are there people in this thread seriously claiming Florida's rickety coney island version of space mountain is superior to Disneylands?

"When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Slightly off topic, but I'd replace Fantasmic! with Pirates of the Caribbean. Though the show was better than WDW's (even before the new dragon, which I can't speak for), I had to watch the show through a tree. The seating at WDW's version balances the two out. Pirates, on the other hand...

The Disneyland show is better, but the viewing area comparison is like night and day.

i like the overall EXPERIENCE of Space Mountain better at Disneyland. While Space at MK has a few drops, it is a rickety ride with a lack of quality effects that Disneyland's has added. I say smooth out the track, add onboard audio, a much more engaging lifthill like Disneylands, and I say MK's could take the upper hand from DL.

Fantasmic is a tossup...they're a bit different...I really enjoyed the Peter Pan ship segment, and the new Dragon at DL is sweet! Of course, way more comfort at DHS, and a more elaborate set.

My understanding on WDW's Space Mountain track is that the wheel's, vehicle type have just as much to do with the rickety track as the track itself.

As for the ride, it's overrated. It's the 1st or 2nd highest demand Fastpass on any given day, and The Orlando Sentinel had it ranked as the #18 attraction in Orlando (ahead of Splash Mountain, Revenge of the Mummy and several other noteworthy attractions). That's simply not the case. Sure, it's opinion, but I just don't think the comparisons are that close. I'd much rather go on Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad before Space Mountain. I would also probably be more upset if I didn't see Pirates of the Caribbean, Mickey's PhilharMagic and Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin instead of Space Mountain on any given visit to the Magic Kingdom.

Comparitively, in Disneyland I'll get a 5 day park hopper, and Space Mountain is often the only attraction I do at least once on all 5 days. Even Indiana Jones only gets visits 4 out of the 5 days. Part of this may be our approach to touring, and the Fastpass distribution of the two attractions, but the point is still valid. For me (and for most). The Disneyland version of the attraction is far superior.

Pete C

As for the ride, it's overrated. It's the 1st or 2nd highest demand Fastpass on any given day, and The Orlando Sentinel had it ranked as the #18 attraction in Orlando (ahead of Splash Mountain, Revenge of the Mummy and several other noteworthy attractions). That's simply not the case. Sure, it's opinion, but I just don't think the comparisons are that close. I'd much rather go on Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad before Space Mountain. I would also probably be more upset if I didn't see Pirates of the Caribbean, Mickey's PhilharMagic and Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin instead of Space Mountain on any given visit to the Magic Kingdom.

Comparitively, in Disneyland I'll get a 5 day park hopper, and Space Mountain is often the only attraction I do at least once on all 5 days. Even Indiana Jones only gets visits 4 out of the 5 days. Part of this may be our approach to touring, and the Fastpass distribution of the two attractions, but the point is still valid. For me (and for most). The Disneyland version of the attraction is far superior.

LOL, Space Mountain in not in the same league with either of those rides. Revenge of the Mummy blows away Space Mountain. I have a nostalgic spot for SM since it was my first coaster as a kid, and if not for that I would be laughing it by comparison to today's coasters. Mummy is smooth, just as thrilling, and has more impressive effects. I was not blown away by Mummy when it first opened, but this ride has grown on me and I can ride it over and over without any neck and back trauma.

SeaCastle

Disneyland's Space Mountain has nice effects and onboard audio...obviously making it a favorite. But I want to point out a few things:
- The catchy onboard music makes the Disneyland version seem shorter. Once you've listened to the track a few times, you can anticipate when the ride starts and ends, and where the turns are. WDW's Space Mountain seems a lot longer.
- The theming at Disneyland's is pretty minimalist. You don't have games to play in line, and the music in line is a repeated seven-minute loop of "Comchat". WDW's has the "StarPort" theme, with three separate music tracks and visual effects in the queue.
- Once Disneyland's Space Mountain is over, it puts you out right back into Tomorrowland. At WDW you have an elaborate post-show of rocket-transportation themed vignettes as you travel up the speedramp and into the arcade.

I'm not trying to justify the sub-standard refurb Space Mountain needed, but there are obvious pro's and con's of the two rides.

ToTBellHop

Disneyland's Space Mountain has nice effects and onboard audio...obviously making it a favorite. But I want to point out a few things:
- The catchy onboard music makes the Disneyland version seem shorter. Once you've listened to the track a few times, you can anticipate when the ride starts and ends, and where the turns are. WDW's Space Mountain seems a lot longer.
- The theming at Disneyland's is pretty minimalist. You don't have games to play in line, and the music in line is a repeated seven-minute loop of "Comchat". WDW's has the "StarPort" theme, with three separate music tracks and visual effects in the queue.
- Once Disneyland's Space Mountain is over, it puts you out right back into Tomorrowland. At WDW you have an elaborate post-show of rocket-transportation themed vignettes as you travel up the speedramp and into the arcade.

I'm not trying to justify the sub-standard refurb Space Mountain needed, but there are obvious pro's and con's of the two rides.

Most would agree with you on this--which is why, if the MK ride had received a refurb closer to what DL's received, it would easily be the best SM states-side...maybe anywhere (I don't think Paris' ride is nearly what it used to be...).

RSoxNo1

Most would agree with you on this--which is why, if the MK ride had received a refurb closer to what DL's received, it would easily be the best SM states-side...maybe anywhere (I don't think Paris' ride is nearly what it used to be...).

Yeah, there are certainly elements (pre-show and post-show mainly) that are superior in Florida. I probably favor Florida's lift hill better as well because it's an actual scene, but California's lends itself to modifications which they have taken advantage of.

SeaCastle, interesting point on the music - I'm not sure I buy that it feels shorter, but you can definitely sense moments in the attraction if you've been on it enough... especially on day 5 of your trip.

BrerFrog

That is certainly interesting. I hope that if they do install those speakers, the quality of the score will be as good as the queue's.

Mansion Butler

Are there people in this thread seriously claiming Florida's rickety coney island version of space mountain is superior to Disneylands?
I'm not going to claim it's better, because they're different in enough ways I don't think one can be called objectively better than the other, unless your definition is which one most people prefer (and I'd need a better data sample than we've got, but I'd bet on DL).

I am going to claim I enjoy it more out of preference, though I'd certainly take some elements from DL if I could.

Mansion Butler

Haven't ridden DL's enough to agree specifically on this there, but I buy it having ridden RnR a bunch. That ride is made by the music, and I do like it, but an unfortunate side effect of putting the soundtrack on the coaster is you begin to anticipate the ending and it makes it feel shorter.

For the record, that is NOT my argument against on-board audio for Space Mountain, merely an agreement with SC. My argument against audio is simply I like the sounds of SM as is. I'm sure more people would like on-board audio and I'd still enjoy that, too, if it happened, but, for now, I'm selfishly getting my way in at least one are.

This. I don't see anyone who prefers WDW's telling someone who prefer's DL's "you're wrong to like it more" and completely ignoring the reasons why they might.

If someone wants to like DL's better, by all means, do so. I like their Pirates more and their Tiki Room isn't an offensive piece of ****. I understand the sentiments, but I reserve the right to subjectively disagree on the SM argument while still acknowledging there are things about DL's I would like.

Once again, yes.

ryno1982

WDW's is actually shorter, though the actual fast portion is almost exactly the same. And the 7 min music loop shouldn't be that big of a deal since you never wait much inside anyway. Once you pass Fastpass merge, you usually walk all the way to the loading area.
All the extra indoor queue at WDW's is for the same reason DL's Pirates is longer- they were both built on the other side of the train tracks, and thus long passages are needed for both. In both instances, that turned out to be a good thing.

Rob562

Actually, I have in my mind a (relatively) simple system that would be able to play a synchronized soundtrack from trackside speakers for each train, using mutliple technologies that already exist. (And one or two of which I know Disney has used in other refurbs)

Though I'm not of the level or expertise where I'd actually be able to BUILD it, but I know what I envision is at least feasible. (Or at the very least feasible enough to install some kind of a test system on a segment of track to see how it works in real-life...)

-Rob

janoimagine

Space Mountain at WDW is a complete joke. To think of what we were going to get compared to what was delivered. I can't believe that a ride that uncomfortable and that punishing is allowed to operate on Disney soil. I am not even going to bother riding it anymore. I rode the one at TDL right after it was refurbished (same as DL but no music) and my eyes were opened as to how this ride is supposed to feel. I have my trip to Anaheim penciled in for 2012 once the DCA overhaul is complete and can't wait to ride SM.

All I can say is agree to disagree.

SeaCastle

Haven't ridden DL's enough to agree specifically on this there, but I buy it having ridden RnR a bunch. That ride is made by the music, and I do like it, but an unfortunate side effect of putting the soundtrack on the coaster is you begin to anticipate the ending and it makes it feel shorter.

For the record, that is NOT my argument against on-board audio for Space Mountain, merely an agreement with SC. My argument against audio is simply I like the sounds of SM as is. I'm sure more people would like on-board audio and I'd still enjoy that, too, if it happened, but, for now, I'm selfishly getting my way in at least one are.

This. I don't see anyone who prefers WDW's telling someone who prefer's DL's "you're wrong to like it more" and completely ignoring the reasons why they might.

If someone wants to like DL's better, by all means, do so. I like their Pirates more and their Tiki Room isn't an offensive piece of ****. I understand the sentiments, but I reserve the right to objectively disagree on the SM argument while still acknowledging there are things about DL's I would like.

Once again, yes.

Agreed on all points. The audio on Disneyland's Space Mountain indeed is great, but without it, it's just a normal rollercoaster in the dark with some special effects (kind of how WDW's Space Mountain is). But Disneyland's Space Mountain clearly lacks in the theming department. It's nowhere near Six Flags quality, but it ain't the Magic Kingdom, either.

It's also true you can't beat the sounds of Space Mountain...the lift hills whirring with guests screaming in delight (or neck pain...). It just makes you feel like a kid again, especially since WDW's Space Mountain feels out-of-control, and you have no idea where you're going to wind up next.

I'm neither a Disneyland or WDW fanboy...there are aspects of both parks I love dearly, and the comparisons between the two get old after a while. They are two different parks for entirely different purposes.

WDW's is actually shorter, though the actual fast portion is almost exactly the same. And the 7 min music loop shouldn't be that big of a deal since you never wait much inside anyway. Once you pass Fastpass merge, you usually walk all the way to the loading area.
All the extra indoor queue at WDW's is for the same reason DL's Pirates is longer- they were both built on the other side of the train tracks, and thus long passages are needed for both. In both instances, that turned out to be a good thing.

Yes, that is true. But if I remember correctly, a good portion of the waiting for Space Mountain is outside in the sun and switchbacks. (I've never had to wait more than five minutes for the attraction so I don't know for sure if this is the case.) Good points on the DL Pirates and WDW Space Mountain lengths- in those cases they helped to improve the experiences of the attraction.

RSoxNo1

The queue for Space Mountain in Disneyland isn't as good as Florida's. It's also hurt by the poor location of the merge point, although it's not as bad as Indiana Jones. You miss a lot of the indoor theming because it happens after the Fastpass merge point, and they want to keep the line under 10-15 minutes after the merge.

kcnole

There are two things that WDW's space mountain needs that would make me happy. On board sound, a re-worked re-entry tunnel. I really like the crazy track compared to the ultra-smooth Disneyland version. If it had some synchronized music though it would be much better.

Mansion Butler

There are two things that WDW's space mountain needs that would make me happy. On board sound, a re-worked re-entry tunnel. I really like the crazy track compared to the ultra-smooth Disneyland version. If it had some synchronized music though it would be much better.
You will find absolutely no disagreement from me on the re-entry tunnel. I do kind of like it out of nostalgia and I have a soft spot for theme park camp in small doses (I loved the old HoP for exactly that reason), but I'd still kill for a new one.

imagineer boy

The queue for Space Mountain in Disneyland isn't as good as Florida's. It's also hurt by the poor location of the merge point, although it's not as bad as Indiana Jones. You miss a lot of the indoor theming because it happens after the Fastpass merge point, and they want to keep the line under 10-15 minutes after the merge.

As much as I love DL, it has the most messed up FP queue line system. I was appaled that we had to wait outside in the unthemed part of the Indy queue and briskly walk through the well themed part. SM was just the same.

PKD

Testing of an audio addition to the attraction took place about 2-3 weeks ago during the overnight shift. The time line goal for the addition isn't that far out, however it's not 100% green lit either.

sanctumsolitude

You also have to remember that batteries to run the amps and speakers and electronics, plus the train side of a recharging system can add significant weight to the train. Can't just add a single car battery to the system and let it run 12+ speakers...

-Rob

I am a bit late to the party, but I did want to comment on this. Generally, the trains wouldn't have batteries, but rather large capacitors that would hold the electricity needed to run the speakers. There really isn't too much to the recharging of the capacitors on the train, they just run a energized rail in the loading station that charges the capacitors aboard the train. The capacitors allow for lots of current when needed and can charge and discharge quickly.

And yea, you can get tiny amplifiers these days that are actually quite powerful (the Harry Potter ride at Universal uses Bose amplifiers onboard that you can hold in your hand). Same with subs. Compared to even 10 years ago, audio technology has really improved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom