Space Mountain refurbishment photo update (Thur 5 Nov)

Lee

Adventurer
Soft openings do not mean corners were cut,it can mean things were just finished early or that want to see how things go with guests.
True, of course.
But the statement was:
"The shorter the time it takes to get a refurb done, the worse it is going to end up."
Which means, a refurb that at one time was looking to be 12-18 months, is going to be much worse if it was cut down in scale to fit into 7 months.

WDW Vacationer

True, of course.
But the statement was:
"The shorter the time it takes to get a refurb done, the worse it is going to end up."
Which means, a refurb that at one time was looking to be 12-18 months, is going to be much worse if it was cut down in scale to fit into 7 months.

Well yes,but a week or so will not absolutely kill SM.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Audio on the lift hill (someone reported this, not sure if it really going to happen though)
There has always been audio on the lifts; between broken speakers and the racket of the chains it is often easy to miss it.

Exprcoofto

There has always been audio on the lifts; between broken speakers and the racket of the chains it is often easy to miss it.

Ah, really? Interesting. I will have to listen really closely (unless they've turned up the volume or installed new speakers)

So I'm guessing everything else on that list would be accurate? :shrug:

WDW Vacationer

I think the outside looks fantastic. Disney tried and came through. Pavement looks great, as does the new paint and signage. Give the planter time to grow in.

EPCOT Explorer

Here's the secret. The shorter the time it takes to get a refurb done, the worse it is going to end up.
Yep.

Hello, Spaceship Earth. :) :brick:

Ah, really? Interesting. I will have to listen really closely (unless they've turned up the volume or installed new speakers)

So I'm guessing everything else on that list would be accurate? :shrug:
Sooooo...If they at least fix the speakers we will have the return of retro audio....A plus, yes? :lol:
I think the outside looks fantastic. Disney tried and came through. Pavement looks great, as does the new paint and signage. Give the planter time to grow in.
But what of the Mountain itself? :rolleyes:

EPCOTPluto

Disappointing through and through...I wanna hope that the inside is gonna blow my mind....but alas, no luck yet...
Then again, no one has seen the interior. Still a lot of speculation...

Sooooo...If they at least fix the speakers we will have the return of retro audio....A plus, yes? :lol:

But what of the Mountain itself? :rolleyes:
That would be nice... "It's a world full of cover, a perfect time of need, a world full of music, a living melody! The dreams of tomorrow are beginning today, a world of discovery, a world of RCA!" :lookaroun:D

I figure they either are planning to clean the mountain now or after the refurb is 'complete'. After all, it is not the first time they have completed (or have yet to) something after a refurb... :lookaroun

The rumor I've heard from several normally reliable Twitter accounts/websites is there may be a soft opening next week some point.
Hmm... should be interesting to see if it is true. Sometimes reliable sources are not as reliable, but that's just me.

Brian_B

Oh my goodness. This is possibly the most absurd complaining I've ever seen on these boards.

If you haven't noticed, nearly ALL attractions have a planter in front of them! Haunted Mansion has one. Big Thunder has one. What are you going to complain about next? That there's pavement leading into Space Mountain?? ("A Walmart parking lot has pavement!")

If some of you had given an ounce of thought to this, you'd realize this planter creates a very large seating area for FastPass holders and non-riders, drawing them away from the entrance, and hopefully reducing the crowd that always clogs the attraction.

"Why couldn't they have just put water in there instead of trees and plants?" some hotshot will ask.

Because you need shade to attract people (How quickly we forget the small clusters of people squeezed under the TTA track, trying to avoid the blazing sun and drizzle while watching the departed Stitch show)

Not a single person on these boards predicted the extensive rennovations that would be done to improve SM's guest traffic flow. And I bet it wasn't cheap. I'm sure some of you would have rather seen that money spent on in-ride special effects (which probably would have still been cheaper than the redesigned entry plaza). Whether SM's budget was adequate is a topic for a different discussion. But you can't deny that Disney saw a problem with SM, and spent big money to correct it.

After all, the "cheap" solution would have been to keep the Skyway intact, put up new walls to cover the openings, and slap on a fresh coat of paint.

But rather than try to satisfy the small handful of SM geeks who yearn to see that old rocket-stuck-to-a-pylon, Disney took into consideration the thousands of people who will be stuck in that area every day, either waiting to ride or waiting for someone to come out.

And again, all of this discusion is about.... a planter. A ring of concrete, some dirt, and a tree.

If I was an Imagineer or a TDO exec reading this thread, I'd lose all respect for our type of Disney fan. We ain't gonna be happy and will complain about the most obscure things, so why bother pleasing us at all? Disney can find plenty of other, more reasonable customers to focus their attention on.

Hint: they'll be sitting on a planter, under a shade tree.

THIS IS THE FIRST SANE THING THAT HAS BEEN POSTED IN THIS THREAD.

Are we the only two with the ability to step back and see the sheer banality occurring here?

NOBODY EVER SAID THERE'D BE A FOUNTAIN. If there was some kind of announcement, then these whiny posts would have some vague notion of merit, but IT WAS ALWAYS GOING TO BE A PLANTER. I, for one, appreciated it when I saw it because it's simple, calm, and isn't puking characters everywhere. Fountains cost money to operate per diem. I'd rather that money be saved for a JII complete overhaul including the upstairs imageworks reopening.

Really, people. Really.

WDITrent

Are we the only two with the ability to step back and see the sheer banality occurring here?

NOBODY EVER SAID THERE'D BE A FOUNTAIN. If there was some kind of announcement, then these whiny posts would have some vague notion of merit, but IT WAS ALWAYS GOING TO BE A PLANTER. I, for one, appreciated it when I saw it because it's simple, calm, and isn't puking characters everywhere. Fountains cost money to operate per diem. I'd rather that money be saved for a JII complete overhaul including the upstairs imageworks reopening.

Really, people. Really.
:sohappy:

I never really took a side, but hats off to this post.

_Scar

Really, people. Really.

Nobody said it'd be a planter either, unless you mean they guessed right. It was always going to be a planter, probably, but we did not know that. Do fountains puke characters to you? Trees cost money too to maintain them, plus this one's not very different from the average Florida trees.

Good luck on that JII refurb, though! :animwink:

Testtrack321

Everyone!!!1!! SOME1 TOLD ME THEY ARE JUST PUTTING THE PLANTER THEIR TEMPARALLY TILL THEY PUT IN THE REAL THING!!!1!! THEIR WILL B PROJECTIONS ON THE TRIAGELS!!!!!
:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom