Space Mountain refurbishment photo update (Thur 5 Nov)

RandySavage

Looking only at what's done with the exterior, I'll say that there have been vast improvements in the color palette and the visual cohesion of this part of the land.

Before:
373059107_758d717b08_b.jpg

credit:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlin45d/

The orange signage, tan pole and tan arcade are terribly jarring, as are the ten different shades of blue in the above pic. The banners on the arcade should have been removed permanently as they return foreign colors to the land's scheme.

One of my biggest problem's with MK's Tomorrowland is that the 94 retrofuture make-over was only done to a portion of the land, while most of the buildings beyond the Avenue are still original 70s architecture & detailing, including the now thankfully-gone skyway station.

The changes at the Space Mountain entry help unify Tomorrowland in a few subtle ways:

1. The patterned pavement around the planter provides a subconscious link to to the heavily patterned pavement on the Avenue:
2452418224_cae8b9b793_b.jpg

credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathika/

2. The lime color scheme ties in with other attractions: Monster's Inc (above) and Buzz Lightyear (below), giving a subtle unity to the new and old parts of the land.
1671503645_99f7434488_b.jpg

When the day comes when TDO adds this themeing (below) to the entire peoplemover track, we will know that someone who finally understands the importance of visual coherence & place setting in a theme park is in charge.
3328922291_cfcea1a698_b.jpg

credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jnad/

Skyway

Continuing on with Randy's post---

Because there has not yet been a photo from the proper angle, you may not realize that the new beige paint on the arcade perfectly matches the Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower looming in the background.

Again, Disney has put a lot more thought into this rehab than most will give them credit for. (Maybe not money, but thought.)

(The one exterior feature I noticed that has not been changed yet is the Video Arcade sign. It is still FedEx orange and purple. I assume that will eventually turn green as well, or at least match the rest of the color scheme.)

EPCOT Explorer

if they do powerwash it we'll have two splash mountains for a temporary time :hammer:
Fine by me....and they still have time. :D

That would be nice... "It's a world full of cover, a perfect time of need, a world full of music, a living melody! The dreams of tomorrow are beginning today, a world of discovery, a world of RCA!" :lookaroun

I figure they either are planning to clean the mountain now or after the refurb is 'complete'. After all, it is not the first time they have completed (or have yet to) something after a refurb...
Bravo! :lol:

And I hope so.:shrug: I would think they would want to get it done before the walls go down, though...

Everyone!!!1!! SOME1 TOLD ME THEY ARE JUST PUTTING THE PLANTER THEIR TEMPARALLY TILL THEY PUT IN THE REAL THING!!!1!! THEIR WILL B PROJECTIONS ON THE TRIAGELS!!!!!
:lookaroun :lol:

Well....eventually....:lol:

The *REAL* injustice is that, while everyone was arguing about a fountain/planter, they willfully and wantonly installed one of the (nonverbal) fastpass distribution signs upside down!

http://www.wdwmagic.com/app_images_...87a1b1377925e1bd/Space-Mountain_Full_8942.jpg
(look at the green arrows on the one on the right).

z0mgs!
Pic ain't working, Jackie.:lookaroun :lol:

Continuing on with Randy's post---

Because there has not yet been a photo from the proper angle, you may not realize that the new beige paint on the arcade perfectly matches the Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower looming in the background.

Again, Disney has put a lot more thought into this rehab than most will give them credit for. (Maybe not money, but thought.)

(The one exterior feature I noticed that has not been changed yet is the Video Arcade sign. It is still FedEx orange and purple. I assume that will eventually turn green as well, or at least match the rest of the color scheme.)
Agreed. There are some pluses to the aesthetics, here. All good ones, in fact.

They just need to trim the trees....clean the Mountain...and gimmie some lighting. The OUTSIDE would be a success, then, IMHO.

Skyway

The *REAL* injustice is that, while everyone was arguing about a fountain/planter, they willfully and wantonly installed one of the (nonverbal) fastpass distribution signs upside down!

Your link is broken, but I saw what you're talking about. Awesome observation!!!!

I have a feeling anytime Disney is accused of screwing something up, someone will re-post this photo.

But actually, this not really Disney's fault. They can plan and prepare all they want, but in the end, it is Orlando's former condo-building labor pool that is assembling this attraction.

I'm sure the superintendent who later noticed that blew up, knowing he'd have to rework the schedule to make time to fix the sign. And that's probably happened a million times on other issues inside the mountain (and everywhere else in Florida)

jt04

Agreed. There are some pluses to the aesthetics, here. All good ones, in fact.

They just need to trim the trees....clean the Mountain...and gimmie some lighting. The OUTSIDE would be a success, then, IMHO.

I agree that they have done a good job on the colors and tying in the BLT in a cohesive manner but that tree is an insult. When you compare the budget WoC is getting to the budget the exterior of SM is gettting.......:brick:

Bravo to the designers who managed this exterior on a shoestring. :sohappy:

Boo to the bean counters that gave us that tree! :mad:

EPCOT Explorer

I agree that they have done a good job on the colors and tying in the BLT in a cohesive manner but that tree is an insult. When you compare the budget WoC is getting to the budget the exterior of SM is gettting.......:brick:

Bravo to the designers who managed this exterior on a shoestring. :sohappy:

Boo to the bean counters that gave us that tree! :mad:

OK, see, that I'll agree with. Yeah, the budget was wrong. Yeah, more can be done.

But the tree is fine. It's green. The space is wide open and looks nice. :shrug:

*hugs tree*:lookaroun:lol:

Figment632

Yeah...it isn't the planter's fault, we shouldn't pick on it.
It's just one small part of a refurb that is destined to be a disappointment.

Great point!

Nobody said it'd be a planter either, unless you mean they guessed right. It was always going to be a planter, probably, but we did not know that. Do fountains puke characters to you? Trees cost money too to maintain them, plus this one's not very different from the average Florida trees.

Good luck on that JII refurb, though! :animwink:

Well I kind of new it was a planter for a while. If you go back and look at early pictures there is never any piping or other material for piping around.

My company usually supplies all of the pipe hangers and pipe supports for WDW and when they do go with another company we know, and we heard nothing of anywork in the area :shrug:

Oh my goodness. This is possibly the most absurd complaining I've ever seen on these boards.

If you haven't noticed, nearly ALL attractions have a planter in front of them! Haunted Mansion has one. Big Thunder has one. What are you going to complain about next? That there's pavement leading into Space Mountain?? ("A Walmart parking lot has pavement!")

If some of you had given an ounce of thought to this, you'd realize this planter creates a very large seating area for FastPass holders and non-riders, drawing them away from the entrance, and hopefully reducing the crowd that always clogs the attraction.

"Why couldn't they have just put water in there instead of trees and plants?" some hotshot will ask.

Because you need shade to attract people (How quickly we forget the small clusters of people squeezed under the TTA track, trying to avoid the blazing sun and drizzle while watching the departed Stitch show)

Not a single person on these boards predicted the extensive rennovations that would be done to improve SM's guest traffic flow. And I bet it wasn't cheap. I'm sure some of you would have rather seen that money spent on in-ride special effects (which probably would have still been cheaper than the redesigned entry plaza). Whether SM's budget was adequate is a topic for a different discussion. But you can't deny that Disney saw a problem with SM, and spent big money to correct it.

After all, the "cheap" solution would have been to keep the Skyway intact, put up new walls to cover the openings, and slap on a fresh coat of paint.

But rather than try to satisfy the small handful of SM geeks who yearn to see that old rocket-stuck-to-a-pylon, Disney took into consideration the thousands of people who will be stuck in that area every day, either waiting to ride or waiting for someone to come out.

And again, all of this discusion is about.... a planter. A ring of concrete, some dirt, and a tree.

If I was an Imagineer or a TDO exec reading this thread, I'd lose all respect for our type of Disney fan. We ain't gonna be happy and will complain about the most obscure things, so why bother pleasing us at all? Disney can find plenty of other, more reasonable customers to focus their attention on.

Hint: they'll be sitting on a planter, under a shade tree.
:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

jt04

OK, see, that I'll agree with. Yeah, the budget was wrong. Yeah, more can be done.

But the tree is fine. It's green. The space is wide open and looks nice. :shrug:

*hugs tree*:lookaroun:lol:

There are already plenty of trees in that area. Here is an example of an attrction icon done right....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Theme-Parks/DLR-11509/10221145_WjXGr/4/704671243_95hHR/Medium

This is the icon for WoC they just installed. At it's base is an incredibly detailed water feature. Orlando's Space Mountain got a scraggly "tree" :zipit:

:brick:

rlaeromech

2 quick things..

1. Somone mentioned codes. That is a possibility. Although I thought they kinda had some of their own codes. But it is possible that needed to meet some "tree quoata"
2. If you have watched Disney channel any lately, they are pushing this whole.. plant a tree save the planet theme. Could be they are just practicing what they preach. I don't how creative you can be with a planter.

I think it looks fine.

CaptainMichael

I'd rather that money be saved for a JII complete overhaul including the upstairs imageworks reopening.

You may rather that, but that's not the reason they're skimping on Space Mountain's budget.

If the money isn't going straight to the mouse's pockets, it's going to the west coast or China for their expansions and refurbs.

EPCOT Explorer

There are already plenty of trees in that area. Here is an example of an attrction icon done right....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Theme-Parks/DLR-11509/10221145_WjXGr/4/704671243_95hHR/Medium

This is the icon for WoC they just installed. At it's base is an incredibly detailed water feature. Orlando's Space Mountain got a scraggly "tree" :zipit:

:brick:
OK....I agree that more could have been done. A Pylon, or something really cool could have been put there. Yeah, it's disappointing.

However, there's bigger fish to fry. Can we try to be realistic about this?:lookaroun:lol:

CaptainMichael

However, there's bigger fish to fry. Can we try to be realistic about this?:lookaroun:lol:

The whole SM entrance plaza needs a complete overhaul starting with the unnecessarily tall and large "arcade". An open area with some rockwork along the base would go a long way in improving Tomorrowlands asthetics.

EPCOT Explorer

The whole SM entrance plaza needs a complete overhaul starting with the unnecessarily tall and large "arcade". An open area with some rockwork along the base would go a long way in improving Tomorrowlands asthetics.

True. The Arcade does fowl some sight-lines up, but at least they fixed the coloration.

However, seeing that the area has been opened up already is a plus.

I just want lighting. And trees trimmed. :lol::lookaroun

See post 137. Perhaps that will put it in perspective. Just put the SM tree picture next to the WoC lighthouse picture. Alrighty then.......

Gotta go :wave:

Ok ill ask for a picture of a "planter"

Thats a main showpiece, or one of the main show pieces of a main show??? Not sure how its putting it in perspective. Yeah the lighthouse is great but thats part of a show, not the area outside of an attraction:shrug:

Not sure why a planter is such a horrible thing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom