Space Mountain Heading to the Scrap Heap :)

Timon

Forgive me for not knowing how to post a photo on here.

But if you go to http://maps.live.com --- find Space Mountain on the map --- and then select "Birds Eye"--- zoom in--- and then use the rotate buttons until you're looking at the mountain from the west side.

From that angle, you can see what appears to be some sort of rectangular box inside the "cup". Is that a roof access hatch? I would imagine they'd need one so powerwashing crews could get up there.

But that hatch does not look large enough to pass equipment through.

I wonder if they cut a hole in the roof nearby to have quicker access. (the cost of opening and repairing the roof is probably cheaper than the time and labor of slowly bringing it all in thru a side door. ). I vaguely remember DL cutting open the roof to Star Tours about 12 years ago to lift out and replace all the vehicles, so it has been done before.

But knowing the top of the track inclines sit just a few feet below that "cup" makes mr wonder how much track has been dismantled in order to get the crane-lowered materials into the building.

Here is a picture of the roof before any sides were added. That thing is made of really thick concrete to hold the sides up. You can see the the two access holes which probably aren't big enough for new track to pass. So like Disneyland it will most likely come in the back door and put in place by a smaller crane inside.

picture.php

Rob562

Oh, I see the pictures now. I wouldn`t get too excited. To me it looks either like exterior work is to commence, or infrastructure work on the roof.

Basically, SM has a flat roof. Behind the curved tip is a lower roof - the real roof level. Up there are transmission devices since one - or more - of the spires are actually aerials.

The actual hatch spaces on the roof are not that large. There is an equipment `scuttle` (look east on live locals birds eye view to see it) but since it`s around 9ft square it would be a laborious, not to mention hazardous, way to get things in and out. That`s what the ground level berm doors were added for. There is also a smaller scuttle and some AC outlet vents.

The access hatches before pretty much anything else was added:

shannon8.jpg

-Rob

Atomicmickey

Here is a picture of the roof before any sides were added. That thing is made of really thick concrete to hold the sides up. You can see the the two access holes which probably aren't big enough for new track to pass. So like Disneyland it will most likely come in the back door and put in place by a smaller crane inside.

picture.php

Are you sure that's not the alien tripod that beamed
down first to start spaceport construction?

Is there an evil alien purpose to Space Mountain?

Has anyone really checked to see that the same amount of
people come out, as went in?:lookaroun

Perhaps this so-called "refurb" is just updating the Human Alien Meat Evacuation And Transfer System. HAM EATS for short.

:drevil:

marcel54

Just got back from WDW. We saw Disney scrape & resurface 1 mile of 9 lanes going into WDW from hwy 192 in 8 days!!! That included stripping. They did over a lane a day...Hope they are working on SM.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here is a better angle of the naked roof. Not a lot of room at all, and if I recall there is a plant level inside the main roof too. Also see the existing access into said level. Only a maintainence climb space.

Attachments

• SM roof.jpg
    SM roof.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 114
  • new-2.jpg
    new-2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 109

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom