Space Mountain Heading to the Scrap Heap :)

EPCOT Explorer

Incorrect.
More was coming, and more will come.
As I said earlier, work was being done...now it has been stopped and efforts redirected to areas that are more of a priority.
Work could resume tomorrow if Siemens decided to insist and/or write a check, but for now, that little project is on the back burner.

Apparently that was true, up to a point. They did add stuff to the descent (more triangles, lighting, improved animation) for quite a while. It seems now that Disney feels that it is at a point that they don't need to continue the work, as the effort and money (what little it was) will be better used elsewhere in FW. Enough work has been done that when some extra money does shake loose, SSE could be finished rather easily.

I thought so, too. But it seems that when Cockrell decided to move on other things, SSE was an easy target to shut down. After all, they declared it "finished", and other than folks like us, nobody knows anything is missing.

The trip? Wet. Endlessly wet.
I don't tend to do observation threads or trip reports, so I'll just toss the odd comments into established threads...even going off topic, like this:
SM- Enough porta-johns on site to handle an army.
EE - No steam. Disco yeti. No blowing snow. Just sad.
Imag - Ride got off sync near the smell area. Effects, audio and vehicles not in sync at all. Smell was there before the vehicles, and the audio never really kicked in. Needs help...no, needs demolition.
PoTC - Audio was lower than usual. Couldn't make out what Jack was saying at all.
Manta - Phenomenal. Top notch theme, exterior appearance, queue and ride.
Best coaster in Orlando...at least for the next six weeks or so...maybe longer.

:cool:

So, according to these posts, it's there, it's right there.:dazzle::cry:

How can they not finish something so huge to us, something so huge to the attraction of not the park?

So disappointing.:(

EpcotServo

So, according to these posts, it's there, it's right there.:dazzle::cry:

How can they not finish something so huge to us, something so huge to the attraction of not the park?

So disappointing.:(

Now you know how I feel about most things most of the time.

All I can say is....It's Chinatown.

:lol:

hardcard

Original Poster
Lots of activity at Space Mountain today..... Tons of workers going in and out, trucks bringing in materials, equipment, etc..

3574414993_b48ea9c46f_b.jpg

3575222950_89b5de249f_b.jpg

3574414727_98cffaf1cf_b.jpg

Moving forward!

hardcard

Original Poster
Incorrect.
More was coming, and more will come.
As I said earlier, work was being done...now it has been stopped and efforts redirected to areas that are more of a priority.
Work could resume tomorrow if Siemens decided to insist and/or write a check, but for now, that little project is on the back burner.

I meant nothing was 'officially' coming from disney.. Thats all I meant.. just 'don't blame disney, they didn't promise you anything' thats all..

Phonedave

So SSE got a hunk of cash and that's it? It's nonrenewable for each year/ upkeep.

Sounds like a scholarship.:lookaroun:lol:

I am not saying that is it for sure, but that is how most sponsorships work.

All it really is, is buying advertising. In exchange for X amount of cash we will slap your name on SSE, the outfield wall, a park bench, a room in the hospital, whatever.

My company sponsors a NASCAR car. We are telecommunications, do you think we have people helping out in the pits, or giving advice on how the car is set up for a race? Not at all, as long as the drivers actions don't embarrass us, and we look good on TV, then the check gets written each year.

-dave

WDW1974

Apparently that was true, up to a point. They did add stuff to the descent (more triangles, lighting, improved animation) for quite a while. It seems now that Disney feels that it is at a point that they don't need to continue the work, as the effort and money (what little it was) will be better used elsewhere in FW. Enough work has been done that when some extra money does shake loose, SSE could be finished rather easily.

I wonder what the scope of the work even was at this point since I've never gotten a straight answer out of anyone, including some folks who claim (and should) know.

But this isn't as big a deal to me as it is to some ... the descent has always been a trouble-spot on the ride and it isn't godawful now. I just find the whole set of circumstances to be ... typical for Disney ... in other words: strange.

The trip? Wet. Endlessly wet.
I don't tend to do observation threads or trip reports, so I'll just toss the odd comments into established threads...even going off topic, like this:
SM- Enough porta-johns on site to handle an army.
EE - No steam. Disco yeti. No blowing snow. Just sad.
Imag - Ride got off sync near the smell area. Effects, audio and vehicles not in sync at all. Smell was there before the vehicles, and the audio never really kicked in. Needs help...no, needs demolition.
PoTC - Audio was lower than usual. Couldn't make out what Jack was saying at all.
Manta - Phenomenal. Top notch theme, exterior appearance, queue and ride.
Best coaster in Orlando...at least for the next six weeks or so...maybe longer.

:cool:

Wet has been the word in this whole damn state for what seems like 10 days now. Been trying to get to the beach for about 5-6 days now and that's impossible.

Glad to hear you liked Manta. I have heard nothing but great things and can't wait to activate my new AP.

It sounds like Disney is again putting its attractions out to the public in less than show condition. That's not surprising, but it is sad nonetheless.

Where did you stay? (I haven't made my plans for July yet and am having a very hard time taking an AP rate of $124 at a mod or $184 at DAK Lodge when I can get an AAA rate of $169 at the Ritz or $149 at the JW ... or go totally el cheapo and get a new Hyatt Place with Priceline.com for $30 a night!)

RSoxNo1

So to recap, the assumptions we're making based on cryptic posts:
- SM is getting prepared to handle onboard audio
- Whether or not the queue is actually enclosed or not at open is a ??
- the exit tunnel remains a ??
- the arcade will stay and we all hate it
- the ride will be "done" when it opens (meaning functioning but not done)

- SSE, not done and now no timeline to be (really) done
- The graveyard may be hitting the street in 2009-2010 possibly
- Imaginations may once again run wild sooner than later

One can only hope. Last fully well executed and complete Refurb? When and what was it? I saw NO to HM because of the missing AA that's rumored to still be coming "soon" or "someday".

Keep in mind, in Disney terms I define:
done = ride works and is safe for use
soon = sometime in the next 5 years
someday = before we close the park forever, this will change/happen
2009 = 2011
2010 = 2015
2011+ = see "someday"

Some questions. What do you mean by "The graveyard may be hitting the street in 2009-2010?" Is that in reference to the Leave a Legacy tiles?

Can someone confirm that Space Mountain is getting the necessary reinforcements for onboard audio, and that new trains will come "sometime after November 09"?

kcnole

My company sponsors a NASCAR car. We are telecommunications, do you think we have people helping out in the pits, or giving advice on how the car is set up for a race? Not at all, as long as the drivers actions don't embarrass us, and we look good on TV, then the check gets written each year.

Yes, but unlike a Nascar sponsorship the companies do have input into how the ride looks. They don't get to make all the decisions, but they do have input. For instance, if you recall, GE forced the exit to Horizons to be changed so that it was more obvious that they were a sponsor. And GM had a hand in the change from World of Motion to Test Track as they wanted a ride that focused more on GM and was more "fun". As long as the demands the company have are feasible, Disney tries to work with them.

I wonder exactly how much money we're talking about it taking to finish the descent here?

hpyhnt 1000

When I was there on Tuesday the its a small world walls were up but the ride was open whats up with the walls on it anyway?

I think basic facade maintenance and repair (a lot of that going on these days at MK :)). Maybe adjusting the queue arrangment as well to make it more efficient? :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

Now you know how I feel about most things most of the time.

All I can say is....It's Chinatown.

:lol:
We should move to Japan, get AP's for TDL, and update/worry about them.:brick::ROFLOL: Then laugh at that WDWR back in Floriduh.:lookaroun

Lots of activity at Space Mountain today..... Tons of workers going in and out, trucks bringing in materials, equipment, etc..

3574414993_b48ea9c46f_b.jpg

3575222950_89b5de249f_b.jpg

3574414727_98cffaf1cf_b.jpg

Moving forward!
Very nice!

*is jealous over visible progress*:lookaroun

I am not saying that is it for sure, but that is how most sponsorships work.

All it really is, is buying advertising. In exchange for X amount of cash we will slap your name on SSE, the outfield wall, a park bench, a room in the hospital, whatever.

-dave
Ah, understood. Thanks.
Some questions. What do you mean by "The graveyard may be hitting the street in 2009-2010?" Is that in reference to the Leave a Legacy tiles?
Yep, those.

Phonedave

Yes, but unlike a Nascar sponsorship the companies do have input into how the ride looks. They don't get to make all the decisions, but they do have input. For instance, if you recall, GE forced the exit to Horizons to be changed so that it was more obvious that they were a sponsor. And GM had a hand in the change from World of Motion to Test Track as they wanted a ride that focused more on GM and was more "fun". As long as the demands the company have are feasible, Disney tries to work with them.

I wonder exactly how much money we're talking about it taking to finish the descent here?

Well, that is the case with other sponsorships as well. We come up with a paint scheme for the car, but then that has to be approved.

The thing is, the sponsor may say something like "I would like the exit themed in company colors" or "I would like the queue to showcase these signature products", but they are not design/build parteners where they get into the nitty gritty, pay individual invoices, and call the shots on work schedules. Siemens may very well say "you promised us a complete SSE - now finish it" but they are not going to design, schedule, cost cut, and install the decent. They may have the right to sign off on the design.

-dave

kcnole

The thing is, the sponsor may say something like "I would like the exit themed in company colors" or "I would like the queue to showcase these signature products", but they are not design/build parteners where they get into the nitty gritty, pay individual invoices, and call the shots on work schedules. Siemens may very well say "you promised us a complete SSE - now finish it" but they are not going to design, schedule, cost cut, and install the decent. They may have the right to sign off on the design.

Exactly. They don't design the ride but they do have valuable input into it. I think more than likely the money they gave to the project was long ago used up. Someone probably said, hey this ending you guys made needs some work, someone in WDI agreed and fought to do a little pet project and so the work was being done as time and money was found.

Now Disney has bigger plans of their own and see that extra money better spent in other areas. Siemens can still fight to have the work done, but they'll have to agree to finance it. Disney will probably get back to this once the new fiscal year comes around and they get the next check from Siemens. That would be my guess as well, or they may just decided its not worth spending the money on anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom