Space Mountain Heading to the Scrap Heap :)

EPCOT Explorer

Not answering for Martin, but anything they do now short of a full replacement of supports and track will be a "temporary fix."
Those old 1975 supports won't last forever.
To me, it only makes good sense to go ahead and replace them now, even if they are not on the verge of collapse.
I'm wondering if we'll get the visual refurb now, and the infrastructure refurb later.:shrug:

SirGoofy

I really don't buy that at all.

SSE, who never had lines before 2007, had a HOUR wait last August. Even the irregular guests new something was up.:shrug:

Because they marketed the crap outta the "new" Spaceship Earth at ECPOT. Just like they will market the crap out of the "new" Space Mountain. Regular guests tend to buy into the marketing.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Unless the support beams give way BEFORE 10 years from now..

Why would the supports give way? Many coasters have lasted a lot longer than this.

The Empire State building is still standing.
The Statue of Liberty is still standing.
The Matterhorn is still running.

How many Stress Analysis Engineers do we have on this forum anyway?

EPCOT Explorer

When it first reopened there were signs in the front of the park advertising the "new" SSE.

I sure hope that doesn't happen. That would not be good at all.

Really, now!? That's interesting... Any pics? What did they look like? A Frames?

*is very interesting in any EPCOT/SSE Marketing*:lookaroun:lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Yea, it was A frames. I don't have any pics, sorry.:lol:

These?

2659276905_7d5b38275c.jpg

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Knowing the original plan for this refurb I tend to share Lee's opinion on this. I often say in my business "Do you want it right or right now" I think Disney has chosen the "right now" option which does lower my expectations.
Isnt that par for the course in MK TL WDW?

The thing is though, their ride was already in MUCH better shape than Disneyland's and ours.

They have this weird thing called "Preventative Maintenance" there.
:lol:

Martin---

You say a full track replacement IS necessary. So what are the implications of not doing it now? I would hope we're not talking a Pressler era disaster (hence my assumption that by not fully replacing the structure now, it must not be necessary). Is it a scenario where they know they can get another 5-10 years out of it (which techically would mean it's still OK) and they are just maximizing the original track's life (while passing the buck for a full replacement to a future MK regime)?

And if the track is in such need of a full replacement -- either now or in the next decade-- why did they consider adding reinforcements in order to handle new trains? Wouldn't that have only been a temporary "fix"?
Do you argue with brick walls in your spare time?

Why would the supports give way? Many coasters have lasted a lot longer than this.

The Empire State building is still standing.
The Statue of Liberty is still standing.
The Matterhorn is still running.

How many Stress Analysis Engineers do we have on this forum anyway?
Im not a Stree Analysis Engineer (although I have a friend on the site that could help shed some light), but from your list above, this is comparing apples to pears. They have the same inside (shape and purpose) but they are under different stresses. Also, I have seen programs about the yearly maintenance that goes into structures like the ESB and Statue of Liberty to keep the metal healthy.

One might ask, well SM is indoors away from rain etc, how could it rust. I do recall a picture in my collection that show a very rusty structure inside DL SM that includes actual track.

If they treated the listed above like this, im sure they would fail too.

Lastly, as stated, im not an engineer and could be WAY off base, just trying to figure it out logically and offering suggestions why one is and the other isnt. :wave:

magicmaya

I bet if one of the workers touch the oldest track support, the whole track will fall down and we will be getting everything we wanted...hopefully that will happen:lookaroun
Or something "magically" catches fire.Lets call it the new disney world fireworks

I hope this happens!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom