Space Mountain: Embarassing or Appreciated

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
I typically read, but don't typically join or post on other Disney message boards. WDWMAGIC is my home lol.

However other disney board are bringing up the discussion about Walt Disney World's Space Mountain. The opinions range, but the discussion is excellent and a worthy topic.

I'm just trying to open on discussion with members' opinions on Space Mountain. Is it an embarassment to have as is, or is it something is some way to appreciate? :wave:

For me, I always try to find a way to somehow maintain change, but need a nod to the past or theme of yesteryear.

Space Mountain needs a refurbishment no doubt. But we must remember that Space Mountain doesn't necessaril need to be the technological achievement it was 1975. There are far too many rollercoasters that have kicked its @$$ in terms of technology.

The disney company even on TV has mentioned that MK's Space Mtn is not the fastst, the most thrilling, etc....but it is certainly fun. That fun however is rooted in nostalgia, something many members on this board would :hurl: about.

While we *I say we as WDWers* have the original space mountain, some things must change. I welcome either an entierely refurbished track system, OR a track system similarly or replicated as the 1975 one. While the vehicles changed in 1989, the single file, dual track, and track design is quite uniqueand should somehow be kept.

I also could care less if we had on board audio or not. But the space mountain interior show effects need to either be kept, enhanced, or improved. Perhaps the space port and lift hill should be enclosed, to reduce lighting? Allowing the peoplemover to only see the rollercoaster?

The lifthill has a 1975 flare to it, but because the RCA explorer ship does not play a noticeable roll like it does in Disneyland *which it was changed*, would it be ok to have a refreshened lift hill with a partial 1975 flare?

Space Mountain's long gone dedication plauqe has space mountain being basically dedicated to the space age and that era. The average guests really just cares about the rollercoaster experience *which I am for enchancements and improvements*...but because tomorrowland is about the future than never was but always will be, and because the area around space mountain is very retro appreicated tomorrowland...there could be a blend of both old and new.

As far as the queue goes, we need a new warning film, and they might want to add in a window where the empty frame allows guests to see space shuttle passengers. Hearing that space shuttle safety speil gets annoying while waiting in line.

But really the queue needs cosmetic, sound, and lighting upgrades. The area music is still great and fine for theme. The display convex windows really should stay, but merely reburished. They are a neat, unique only to florida's space mountain and a nice reminder of the original space mountain. New space posters on the left hand side, and even new windows can be added in on the right hand side of the empty part of the star corridor.

The post show needs a huge makeover. It is a combination of FX Port and RYCA:1 Dream of a New World. New post show=awesome

However robot boy and robot dog, formerly AA human like figures from the home of future living, should be kept, but brought back to the television area, so guests can remotely understand why they are on television.

Also the FX logos that remain and in my opinion the ugly brown and oranges that dot the entrance area and entrance lobby have got to go. Also the 1994 orange space mountain spikey font does not do the entire space mountain old tomorrowland area justice. Niether does that yellow and black safety tape over the entrance door. The TTA still has the original 1975 space mountain sign. It is blue and in bold lettering with the original phrase "a journey through time and space", perhaps this could be utilized in the entrance again.

The entrance also seems to be an unorganized cluttered mess of queue that needs to just be redesigned.

Space Mountain will always be popular, and fun, but because it is the original space mountain, I just feel some negotiation is needed on what stays and what goes.

Ok my two cents, love to hear everyone elses. Have a great big beautiful day. ;) :wave:

reptar77

I think it needs an overall face lift. I do not think they should change much to anything in the ride but there is alot they can do to make it look better. My only complaint is the ride is very rough and jerky (not in a good way).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
While it does hold some sentimental value........I think it should be gutted and totally redone from the queue to egress.

Save the building-everything else goes to mousesurplus.com.

Flame-on :lol:

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Well for starters, a discussion about whether or not MK's Space Mountain should have a refurb certainly isn't one that has been absent from these boards. I kind of got the impression, from the OP's opening remarks, that you think other message boards are the only ones having this discussion. I'd say that topic probably comes up on these boards as frequently as every month or so. It's far from being a "new" topic to bring up here.

That aside, I do think a refurb is necessary, for show reasons as well as some practical ones. I think there are too many light leaks which allow you to see the track, thus taking away from the illusion of being in space. For people who are nostalgic about maintaining the "futuristic" look from a 1970's viewpoint, I think it's possible to maintain that look while still updating the technology of the effects. I also think the ride itself could be improved. I've often thought it would be cool if they kept one of the tracks as is (I'd vote for the Alpha side) and then replaced the other with one that had a side by side configuration and onboard audio like DL's Space Mountain. At the same time, I also think it would be cool to just rip out the two tracks altogether and replace them with one, longer track. For practical reasons, I think they need to do something about improving the efficiency of the loading procedures. I say this because I've observed that CM's working this attractioin always seem a lot more "stressed out" than on other attractions for some reason. On my most recent trip, my friend and I asked if we could sit in separate rockets and each ride in the front, and the CM was visibly annoyed with us for it. I've read other people on these forums complain about the same thing. It seems like maybe there's a lot of pressure on the CMs to keep the line moving on this attraction. That's the only explanation I can think of for why they almost always seem so "on edge". Maybe if they changed the loading procedures, that problem would go away.

SeanC

Having ridden the revamped DL version ALOT, as well as WDW's version several times recently...I think a DL style refurb would be great. Keep the track layout (though do a total rebuild), two sides, single seating etc. Add onboard audio (I know a lot of people don't want this, but it does add a lot of drama to the ride). The main thing about DL is that it is super smooth, which increases the illusion of speed, and it is really DARK. The star field permeates the entire ride from top to bottom and is very clear. at WDW the star field is much dimmer (improves at night a little) and there are so many light leaks the whole track infastructure is quite visible. It's not at DL at all. Personally I'd like to see a new lift hill and reentry tunnel, but I wouldn't fight over it. Whatever refreshment to queue and post show is fine, not really important to me as long as it is up to date and well themed. Make it seem fast, smooth, fun, dark, with a great soundtrack and it will be a return to its former glory with some plusses, which is what DL did. "Same but better" is the key.

il grande chuck

just got back from wdw andmy boys and i loved space mountain. sure, it's kind of dated and hokey, but much of wdw is as well - just off the top of my head, splash mountain, the poly, and virtually every ride in world showcase coime to mind. but to me, that's part of the charm of all of these places. i think mission space has a wonderfully corny 2001 space odyssey quality to it. refurbing it would just scew it up.

chuck

Wilt Dasney

I've always enjoyed the queue much more than the ride. I really don't care what they do to the ride, but I wouldn't want the queue to change too drastically.

NASAMan

One answer would be to get a new corporate sponser. RCA was a good first, and the Fed-Ex angle even made sense. Who else would be a good sponser? Let's think outside the box!

Epcot82Guy

There are several factors that push me to the cosmetic refurb side:

1. I've been twice in the past year wtih people (mid-20s) that have never been. They all commented unsolicited how they loved SM. Thought it was a great coaster as-is, and these are coaster riders (Cedar Point junkies, if you will).

2. Disney has made it very clear as to the family-nature of MK. While I don't like it, if we lose AE for a more intense SM, I will have a LARGE problem with management. SM is rideable by almost everyone now. If it doesn't need to be gutted, why not use that cash elsewhere?

3. Why do we have to have every resort have the same elements? I know people want the DL upgrades everywhere, but why can't places have unique elements?

4. I absolutely agree with the cosmetic changes. I think enclosing the queue lines, launch tower, etc. as well as patching the light leaks are necessary. I am more in favor of only stars for the disorienting nature, but I would certainly see adding a couple extra effects (comets, asteroid tunnels, etc). The more visual and audio cues the worse, though. I guess I would say this: are you able to anticipate the elements of RNRC or SM more? For me, I can recite RnRC in my head because I know the set piece coming next. SM still gets me, even though I've ridden it easily 30 more times than RnRC.

Overall, I would say go with the cosmetics. Add one to two new elements to each side (different). No new audio. But, perhaps a compromise would be to take a cue from DL's original concept of Rocket/Rockit Mountain. One element they are having difficulty with is switching over. However, "turning on" is much easier to do so, especially when you have two tracks to absorb overflow. Add several elements (comets, rocket ships, asteroid showers, whatever you want along with a matching soundrack). At sunset, turn in on on the Alpha side, leaving only Beta open. Then switch everyone to Alpha as you turn Beta on. Then you have the Classic Voyage during the day with a dark track, space sounds but no soundtrack, and minimal/disorienting effects. At night, switch it on and get two rides for the price of one - Also another perk for the nightly parties during the low season: Come take a new adventure on SM during Mickey's Not-so-scary or Very Merry Christmas.

Brian_B

I am personally a lifelong fan of WDW's SM. I've been on it a million times so much so that I have the track layout memorized and pre-empt each turn by banking in my seat, cool-runnings style.

That being said, the place is in dire need of refurbishment. It is one of the last holdouts that keeps tomorrowland "tomorrow"-y, along with astro orbiter and Carousel. Maybe buzz. idk.

Anyway, that being said, I just went to DL for the first time, and of COURSE the first thing I hit up was their space mountain...wow. Wow oh wow oh wow. The "launching into space" effect was about 10 skillion times more convincing than at WDW, even though we have that 70s style futurist construction / decor that is way groovy and that I seriously love...I didn't hate the music as much as I thought I would. It also seemed a lot faster, although I missed that one nice drop...you know, the one after the smaller one that surprises you...it's easily the highlight of WDW's SM. DL has nothing but downward helixes.

We need some of these special effects!!

CThaddeus

It also seemed a lot faster, although I missed that one nice drop...you know, the one after the smaller one that surprises you...it's easily the highlight of WDW's SM. DL has nothing but downward helixes.

Not true. Disneyland's has a drop that grabs my stomach every time. Even though I know every turn, rise, and drop in it, that one never ceases to get me for just a second or two. Maybe it isn't as huge a drop as the one in the Magic Kingdom, but I know I enjoy it.
As for the debate, sure, I prefer the Disneyland Space Mountain (it's much smoother, darker, and immersive), but the Disney World Space Mountain has its positives, too. It reminds me of the Matterhorn, and since that attraction doesn't exist in Florida, it's fine that it is the way it is. Sure, a refurb is almost always a good thing, but I don't mind if they don't change anything. Actually, after the recent Pirates changes, I almost hope they won't.

dazzer68

im off to ride the paris version next week will let you know what its like
looks great you get 'launched' up the outside of the building! will be great in the dark!

prspeppers

By far the first and most important thing that needs to happen is the revival of the queue video featuring Mario Lopez. His popularity alone will draw thousands back.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
im off to ride the paris version next week will let you know what its like
looks great you get 'launched' up the outside of the building! will be great in the dark!
Believe me, SM will never be the same again after you ride Mission 2!

Lee

Adventurer
It's an embarassment.
A total pile of craptacular junk.

Gut it. New tracks, new rockets, audio, effects...the works.

After Tokyo's reopens, WDW's will officially be the worst SM on earth. That can not be allowed to stand. :mad:

the-reason14

Personally, I think there are many ingredients missing from WDW SM that it possibly needs. I noticed more that the que seems to get more littered than it ever has been late at night then I have ever seen it in my life. I know this isnt the clean up crews fault and so Im not blaming them, it could be the way the line looks and by that, people just being to lazy and stupid to throw their garbage into the nearest trahs can.

Also the whole look of the que is definately wavering. It looks pretty messed up, I mean some of the windows that I remember being so amazed to see just look cracked or chipped, it just needs some def. tlc.

So I say clean up and possibly change the que, and the post show.

PS Isnt it kinda obvious that the post show will change in the not so immediate future, I mean the music changed about a year or so ago leaving all the things that you see along the exit ramp irrelavant. ie no talking robot or barking dog.

EPCOT.nut

I think it would be hard for me to accept a change the queue line at SM - I love that creepy feeling I get - which starts in that dark line. I like the weird alone feeling I get since you have to walk single-file, it's chilly inside, the silver railing is cold when you touch it, it's hard to see after being in the FL sun. There's no annoying charactors talking to you the whole time (think Star Tours) - notice other people standing in line whisper to each other. It is hard to find that quiet time in MK.

The worst part of Space Mountain is when you get stuck in the line OUTSIDE the building. This past August 1st it felt like it was 100 degrees and there was a 45 minute wait - the line was all the way into the plaza. I stood there for 5 minutes and just couldn't do it. It was about 2pm. If they could mount fans out there or extend the front of the building....it would help!

Epcot82Guy

It's an embarassment.
A total pile of craptacular junk.

Gut it. New tracks, new rockets, audio, effects...the works.

After Tokyo's reopens, WDW's will officially be the worst SM on earth. That can not be allowed to stand. :mad:

:lol: IMHO, Lee?

I guess I really don;t see any of the problems with SM that others do. What I do see is that it still pulls in very sizeable crowds while there are plenty of other attractions (and even parks) that could use a nice budget for an upgrade. I would pump money into WOL, IMAG, WS, and pretty much all of MGM before doing anything but maybe enclosing the queue/lift. Heck, I think JC, HM, and Country Bears are in MUCH more dire a need of an upgrade.

(and, yes, that is my opinion)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom