Space Mountain: Embarassing or Appreciated

Lee

Adventurer
:lol: IMHO, Lee?

Hah! Yeah....my opinion, obviously.
I love the idea of Space Mountain...I just want it to be what it was in 1975...an icon. The name Space Mountain should inspire awe, a little fear, and represent the best in indoor coaster thrills. Now....it just doesn't.

Epcot82Guy

Hah! Yeah....my opinion, obviously.
I love the idea of Space Mountain...I just want it to be what it was in 1975...an icon. The name Space Mountain should inspire awe, a little fear, and represent the best in indoor coaster thrills. Now....it just doesn't.

Purely out of curiosity on your perspective, is that where Disney is going with SM anymore (at least outside of Paris)? I guess that vision of SM was never one I had (since i started going in '87). It just seems the very kid friendly is the trend in MK, and that would be a step away from that. Again, as you said, I think all of this may come from one's perspective based on their "start time" with Disney.

GenerationX

Agreed. As a kid in the 70's, I always considered Space Mountain the coolest roller coaster. Not necessarily the fastest, highest, or scariest, but like Lee said above, it inspired awe.

I'd love to see it restored to its rightful place. It's still a fun ride, but I'd love to see it updated and darker.

Jerriko

By far the first and most important thing that needs to happen is the revival of the queue video featuring Mario Lopez. His popularity alone will draw thousands back.

That would be soooo kewl...lol

Especially after his near win on Dancing with the Stars...

Jerriko

1DisneyDad

It's a fun ride all can enjoy. My 8 & 12 year olds love it. We have made great memories on it. I'm sure new would be good but I don't have problem with it now.

scottnj1966

Space Mountain is the same as it was when it opened.
Sounds like people want it to be repalced with something it never was.

MK was always a kid friendly place. A fmaily place. That has not changed. That is also one of the reasons no alcohol is served in the park.

I went on SM at DL (CA) in March. They kept the same feeling except did make it darker and added sound effects in the rockets. That gives it a very cool feeling. I am sure when we get an upgrade that will be the big change for us too. I am sure the whole Queue line will get an upgrade, including the exit too. I heard 2008 we were suppose to get an overhaul.

Lee

Adventurer
Space Mountain is the same as it was when it opened.
Sounds like people want it to be repalced with something it never was.
Don't misunderstand...I realize that SM is essentially the same ride it was in '75. It hasn't really changed...but, rides in general, and coasters specifically, have changed. What was once a cutting edge thrill ride, is now a tame, kid-friendly relic.
That is not what SM was once. Once upon a time it took a bit of courage to work up the nerve to ride the biggest-baddest ride in the park. Now, it's been surpassed in almost every way by other rides. I want it to get it's old mantle back.

Purely out of curiosity on your perspective, is that where Disney is going with SM anymore (at least outside of Paris)? I guess that vision of SM was never one I had (since i started going in '87). It just seems the very kid friendly is the trend in MK, and that would be a step away from that.
Sadly, it seems to be the case. They are "neutering" the MK...taking out all the real thrills. Like AE.:brick:

Pete C

Lee, can you or anyone else give us a rough percentage chance of a rehab to SM actually happening? I heard some talk about this earlier in the year like it was definitely going to happen, but now nothing for quite a while. Is this just a rumor, or more than that?

Stitch69

I like both Space mts. I love the new one at DLR- The lights and music ROCK!!!! But I still like the one in WDW too. They are different-but both fun! I'd like them to add the music to WDW!!!

Pete C

I like both Space mts. I love the new one at DLR- The lights and music ROCK!!!! But I still like the one in WDW too. They are different-but both fun! I'd like them to add the music to WDW!!!

Is the one at DL more intense or exciting, or about the same as WDWs?

Ralphlaw

I was on Space Mountain last week and found it to be exciting and jarring enough. Perhaps another thrill ride could simply be added where Carousel of Progress plays to nearly empty auditoriums from dawn until dusk. Space Mountain could simply be updated while keeping the same dark roller coaster experience.

CoffeeJedi

I remember as kid, Space Mountain was talked about in hushed tones of childhood urban legend (like the kid who made the swing go the whole way around). Only getting the chance to go to WDW every few years (if at all), there was definitely an aura of menace associated with the name, I'd like WDI to get the coaster back to that level again.

As we were traveling up the ramp at the end, past those tv's, we remarked "In the future, we will all be green-tinted and slightly out of focus!"
I love the queue, I love the ride (not that it doesn't need a bit of work), but those tv's in that post-show are an embarrasment.

While I think a whole new coaster would be great, I'd be happy if they just did an extensive refurb on what's there now. Plug the light leaks, make the track a little less rickety (and a touch faster), and cover the extra section of track on the longer side (it makes no sense to come out hyperspace, but then still see stars flying around you)

Epcot82Guy

I remember as kid, Space Mountain was talked about in hushed tones of childhood urban legend (like the kid who made the swing go the whole way around). Only getting the chance to go to WDW every few years (if at all), there was definitely an aura of menace associated with the name, I'd like WDI to get the coaster back to that level again.

With all due respect, for about 65% of the country, there is nothing Disney will do that will add menace to a coaster. The days of innovation and fear on coasters has long passed what Disney can do within its height bounds. When you have several coasters launching people to over 100mph in a matter of seconds and climbing 400'+ towers, SM simply will not stack up as the fearful thrill. In Florida? sure. In the USA as a whole, CP, Six Flags, Paramount, etc. will simply win.

As we were traveling up the ramp at the end, past those tv's, we remarked "In the future, we will all be green-tinted and slightly out of focus!"
I love the queue, I love the ride (not that it doesn't need a bit of work), but those tv's in that post-show are an embarrasment.

While I think a whole new coaster would be great, I'd be happy if they just did an extensive refurb on what's there now. Plug the light leaks, make the track a little less rickety (and a touch faster), and cover the extra section of track on the longer side (it makes no sense to come out hyperspace, but then still see stars flying around you)

This I absolutely agree with. I think there is a lot of work to be done for the build up and exit. THe thing about SM that always impressed me is that the queue does instill a bit of fear-based excitement. It is a bit menacing. Then you board the attraction. It isn't fear based but is simply a lot of fun. Then, you exit with a bit more fun and whimsy. However, the last part there needs a good ol' dose of something. The exit queue is an embarassment right now.

Blackie Pueblo

I love Space Mountain to this day. But I do see what a lot of what you are all saying. With the advancement of technology and the details they put into the que's for the new rides, I think a little bit of a upgrade for Space Mountain wouldnt hurt. Would't it be kinda cool if they could somehow add some things you whip by like they have on the Aerosmith ride? I mean, I think it would be cool if you take a dip and you whip right pass several planets or something.

"Remember, there's no I in team, but there is an I in meat pie... there is an I in meat pie...I don't know.. meat is an anagram of team... look I don't know what he's talking about... that's it.."
--Shawn of the Dead

Tim G

They should retheme it and incorporate some sort of Pixar character into the ride.
93.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom