Space Mountain closing intermittently in September

wdwfan4ver

Adding trim brakes is a terrible idea. I've been on a slow Space Mountain, the one in Japan, and it's not nearly as fun. Don't fix what ain't broke, TDO.
I disagree about Space Mountain not being broke.

I was on Space Mountain last year, and the ride felt more rough than in the past. I remembered being in pain after I got off the ride because of how rough it was.

midwest_mice

I disagree about Space Mountain not being broke.

I was on Space Mountain last year, and the ride felt more rough than in the past. I remembered being in pain after I got off the ride because of how rough it was.
I totally agree. When I rode SM in January, it was a lot more whiplashing than I can ever remember. I rode several times thinking it was just one side, but it did seem very jerky every time. Felt more like a wooden roller coaster!

GLaDOS

and dull.

I have much more fun on DL's Space Mountain than WDW's, which is at the point of being a ride I skip because it's so uncomfortable.

Also, not really sure why people find DL's Space dull. It's swooping and smooth, and just a heck of a lot of fun.

WDW's SM bumpy ride is all part of the experience.

So the ride is supposed to be an uncomfortable mess?

Sorry, I don't buy that.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I have much more fun on DL's Space Mountain than WDW's, which is at the point of being a ride I skip because it's so uncomfortable.

Also, not really sure why people find DL's Space dull. It's swooping and smooth, and just a heck of a lot of fun.

So the ride is supposed to be an uncomfortable mess?

Sorry, I don't buy that.
I find DL SM dull because although it is wonderfully themed, it has no drops, and just feels very sterile. The smoothness, while a great engineering accomplishment, does not create a fun ride for me. On DL SM I basically feel like I am going around in circles in the dark. Other than that, it's great - love the onboard audio, queue and general show. But give me a choice, and I will pick WDW SM over DL SM.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
I would rather they not screw with it.

This.

and dull.

WDW's SM bumpy ride is all part of the experience.

Also this.

Would very much love to hear more from Steve / Martin / Lee / Articos / et al, on the reason for the addition of these brakes.

If it's just replacing old equipment of course that's to be expected. If it's to slow things down, I could see if they are trying to lessen wear or to avoid aggravating some problem in the making.

If it's all about slowing it down just for the sake of slowing it down, well, not cool Mickey. Not cool at all.

Animaniac93-98

DL's Space is dull because the track layout feels like one big helix, but WDW's Space should be in much better condition and not neck-snapping bumpy (and with much better effects).

But Paris easily trumps both.

Buried20KLeague

Barnstormer is already faster than Space Mountain. Wonder why they feel the need to add trim brakes now.

My guess is that it's to increase the lifespan of the track below the new brakes by slowing the cars down and decreasing stress on the structure... It has nothing to do with the ride experience. As ususal.

Animaniac93-98

I find DL SM dull because although it is wonderfully themed, it has no drops, and just feels very sterile. The smoothness, while a great engineering accomplishment, does not create a fun ride for me. On DL SM I basically feel like I am going around in circles in the dark. Other than that, it's great - love the onboard audio, queue and general show. But give me a choice, and I will pick WDW SM over DL SM.

I "liked" this, but disagree about the queue being great. I found it cramped and minimal. Then there's the overall outside look that lacks impact because of how it's sunk underground and crowded by other buildings.

Buried20KLeague

DL's Space is dull because the track layout feels like one big helix, but WDW's Space should be in much better condition and not neck-snapping bumpy (and with much better effects).

But Paris easily trumps both.

I could only ride Paris's once a day, it was so bad. Which is frustrating, considering I was on the other side of the planet to experience that which I can not Stateside.

And what makes it even worse is that it's supposedly something that could be fairly easily corrected with more wheel maintenance and attention.

Animaniac93-98

I could only ride Paris's once a day, it was so bad. Which is frustrating, considering I was on the other side of the planet to experience that which I can not Stateside.

And what makes it even worse is that it's supposedly something that could be fairly easily corrected with more wheel maintenance and attention.

It's bumpier than it should be, but I was able to do it twice in a row. The further back in the train you sit the worse it gets. Still, its problems are minimal and realistically correctable compared to the other versions.

wdw71fan

yes, SM is getting trim brakes.. They are being inserted into the track just before 2 turns, and 1 just before the largest drop in each track profile.. They are to be used to reduce over-speeds, and the one before the large drop with be used in a dual role.. as trim, as well as a block brake in the event it is needed.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Yeah Paris is a complete mess unfortunately. The first version was wonderful, it then started to wear badly, and became almost unrideable. At that point, I would still brave it because the theming and music was wonderful. They then completely butchered the ride with the SM 2 overlay. They destroyed the theme, and did nothing to address the terrible ride comfort. Such a shame.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I "liked" this, but disagree about the queue being great. I found it cramped and minimal. Then there's the overall outside look that lacks impact because of how it's sunk underground and crowded by other buildings.
I really liked that cramped feeling - very upclose and personal. But I can see why it would not appeal to all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom