News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I am honestly curious what Disneys strategy is in terms of announcing a project (such as this restaurant) years ahead of it actually opening. Just to throw folks a bone? I can understand an attraction takes time to build, but a restaurant should not be that difficult.

If it is an effort to open it in conjunction with GoTG, that just seems silly considering it has no specific tie in with the movie and they are also trying every conceivable option to profit. Why not get it up an running and start making money (and generating buzz) instead of offering another random magical park opening avocado cupcake toast extravaganza?

MickeyMinnieMom

I am honestly curious what Disneys strategy is in terms of announcing a project (such as this restaurant) years ahead of it actually opening. Just to throw folks a bone? I can understand an attraction takes time to build, but a restaurant should not be that difficult.

If it is an effort to open it in conjunction with GoTG, that just seems silly considering it has no specific tie in with the movie and they are also trying every conceivable option to profit. Why not get it up an running and start making money (and generating buzz) instead of offering another random magical park opening avocado cupcake toast extravaganza?
I was thinking about this the other day as well... I really think it's a very small subset of people that actually pays close attention to those announcements and tracks them as time goes on. Not sure it matters how long between announcement and opening, from that perspective. I was just assuming they're more closely matching anticipated demand with supply -- opening it closer to new attractions debuting.

lazyboy97o

The announcements tend to occur after the project has been officially approved. It does remove the need to deny public documents that clearly show a project.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The announcements tend to occur after the project has been officially approved. It does remove the need to deny public documents that clearly show a project.
That makes sense, especially considering there are many people who pay close attention to permits filed and other public documents.

I do like how Universal is doing it with the Harry Potter coaster(s) and not making any public announcement even though most people know exactly what it is. Or have they made an announcement yet?

JoeCamel

That makes sense, especially considering there are many people who pay close attention to permits filed and other public documents.

I do like how Universal is doing it with the Harry Potter coaster(s) and not making any public announcement even though most people know exactly what it is. Or have they made an announcement yet?
Just that it is happening. No details like a name.

Marc Davis Fan

It's also interesting that they haven't even clarified whether this is expected to open in late-2019 or sometime in 2020. You'd think they'd want as much stuff as possible to draw people into Epcot when SWGE opens...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Besides other reasons given, because Disney leaks. A lot. And insiders have said that they aren't particularly concerned about leaks except for a very few special things that marketing wants to make a surprise out of. And even then, I don't think the rest of the company is concerned if marketing is angry.

So, if things are going to leak, might as well make announcements so that the rumors don't go off into crazy land.

BrerJon

Besides other reasons given, because Disney leaks. A lot.

They should follow Universal's lead and just yolo build things without announcing them. The online theme park nerds who know all the details are such a minority - I bet 99% of Wizarding World visitors don't have any clue what's being built at Duelling Dragons.

Leaks or not, they could surprise people especially by non-headline grabbing things like a new restaurant that nobody except forum readers even thinks about outside of their vacation.

Disney have a history of doing it with DVC - Bay Lake Tower was almost open before it was announced, but for some reason they don't make any attempt to keep attractions under wraps, going too far the other way in the case of Pandora, and announcing before the Imagineers have even heard of the project.

lazyboy97o

Disney have a history of doing it with DVC - Bay Lake Tower was almost open before it was announced, but for some reason they don't make any attempt to keep attractions under wraps, going too far the other way in the case of Pandora, and announcing before the Imagineers have even heard of the project.
My understanding is that there were legal issues regarding that announcement. Cast Members had to deal with outright lying to guests, telling them that nothing was being built when clearly something was being built.

trainplane3

My understanding is that there were legal issues regarding that announcement. Cast Members had to deal with outright lying to guests, telling them that nothing was being built when clearly something was being built.
I may be wrong but I thought it had to specifically do with timeshare laws in Florida?

I do remember that though. It was fun hearing "there's nothing there" and other insane reasons.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom