Souvenier Seekers

pumpkin7

I really love the earrings you can get. I had an awesome pair from back in 2010 when we went, but sadly the paint peeled off them when I cleaned them. They were just in the shape of Mickey's head. I also have a pair of dangley ones which also have Mickey on the end.
I've got a Mickey watch which was only £35 but it's got Mickeys birth year on (1928??) and I love it.
But I could buy much more and have much more room for stuffs!
At Christmas I have my Vinylmation ornaments shaped like Mickey, Donald and Goofy.
And I have a thing for Salt and Pepper Shakers. I have a set shaped like Mickey and Minnie in a red car, I have Lilo and Stitch and a set of Mickey head salt and pepper grinders from the Disney Store.
I wish I could mail order without it costing a fortune to the UK because there's always something I want in the World!

SyracuseDisneyFan

T-Shirts
Sweatshirts
Anything that's Christmas related
Anything that has to do with Pooh and Tigger

Favorite places to shop:
Magic Kingdom-Emporium
Epcot-Mouse Gears and World Showcase
Animal Kingdom-Island Mercantile
DHS-Keystone Clothiers
Anywhere at Downtown Disney Marketplace

Foolish Mortal

For me it is my annual Wrist Watch that I buy. I currently have 12 and still need another one. On Average I spend on a watch up to $250 dollars on it and buy nothing else except one T-Shirt. also not to mention I do wear all 12 and switch off all the time. It does get a little expensive every now and then when the batteries needs to be replaced. The watch batteries die off in groups. Don't ask me why but I have this thing with Disney Wrist Watches.

This kind of used to be me. It seems to me they haven't had any new designs in about 5 years. I'm fortunate to do multiple trips a year and it's always the same stuff.

Figments Friend

Some of my utmost favorite 'souvenirs' would be the cassette tapes i made of audio recordings from the Original 'Journey Into Imagination' attraction.
I first visited EPCOT Center in April of 1983, a month after it opened.
I was twelve, and instantly became seriously enchanted by the Attraction and HAD to find a way to bring that experience of riding it home with me somehow.
At that time i was fascinated with analog tape recorders, and was having fun recording movies and voicework onto cassettes at home.
After EPCOT Center however, i knew i just had to bring my tape deck with me onto that ride so i could 'own' all the awesome music and on-ride sounds.

I would sneak in my portable tape recorder in a tote bag, and once on the ride i would pull out the recorder and lay it on my lap.
Once the ride was over, i slipped it back into the bag, or just carried it out by the handy handle.
Not only did i capture audio with some decent results, i ALSO captured all the creaks, groans, electric motor grinds n' whirs..and a LOT of atmospheric stuff.
A real 'time capsule', and they are interesting to listen to today.
You should hear the people laughing so hard at the end of one session...when they saw themselves on the screen near the rides' original conclusion.
It was such a big deal back then...and entirely unexpected.
This was years before on-ride photos and video became commonplace, and folks reacted quite a bit to it in the days of yore.

I listened to those tapes over and over and OVER in the years that followed. Even as a teen.
My Dad can attest to that...the 'Imagination Song' as he called it drove him absolutely nuts as i would endlessly play the song and loop it over and over again.
Yeah, i was obsessed even at that young age.
This was in the last few years before video taping became affordable for the general public, and we were years away from Internet communities.
So for the longest time, the only way i could 're-live' the ride experience was to listen to these recordings.

I made about three cassettes in the next few visits, from July 1983 to the Summer of 1985, and i still have those original tapes.
Love em' !

Next in line would be some of the original paper goods i kept from my first visit to EPCOT Center in 1983.
Old WorldPassort tickets, 'Wheel' Guide Map, and brochures from that time period.

Next would be various not-for-public-sale 'souvenirs' i have gathered over the years since. Various bits and bobs...

If we are however talking about actual, material items...as in, something a Guest could actually purchase at one of the shops as a take home souvenir, then my #1 treasured prize is most certainly my first Figment plush.

Here is a small photo -

This was a 'large plush' version that was sold when the Park opened. I bought mine in April of 1983, upon my first visit.
He was $21.00 in 1983 money, which was considered pricey.
Thus why it is rare to find the larger versions...everyone always seems to have the smaller versions with the felt eyes.
I remember talking my Mom into buying it for me...i so desperately wanted it as soon as i saw it, as i had just instantly fell into rapture with the Attraction.
She balked at the expensive pricetag at first...but finally caved in.
We made the purchase at the Centorium, where they had a swell large display of all the Figment plush back in the day.

I was thrilled that when i rode the Attraction again later that day with 'Figment', the black lights in the entrance tunnel made his stitching glow like crazy. I freaked out...thinking THIS was the coolest ride EVER...and had THE coolest effects EVER.
Oh yes...and i still do.

I used to bring the plush with me on numerous other EPCOT Center visits afterwards...at that time i was living in Florida.
He was a regular...and at home he had a place of honor.
1985 was his last visit to the Park, i was 14.

He returned however for EPCOT's 25th Anniversary in 2007...and was front and center in many of the publicity photos taken related to the Event from the fan worlds' side.
Lots of cool moments...and those who attended that special day may remember seeing him lifted up in the air during the crowd sing-along in front of the Fountain of Nations stage, before the Re-Dedication Ceremony.
I have seen videos of it....'out there'....
Later that day, Marty Sklar 'shook hands' with this plush.
I kid you not. Quite a fun story behind that one...

Last edited:

Ben_since_1971

Favorite store - MouseGear in Epcot or World of Disney @ DTD.

Souvenir - currently it is a watch my wife bought me as a reward for losing 30 lbs last year. All time souvenir is a collection of Mickey and Minnie bride and groom figurines we have bought over the years. We've been going since our honeymoon in 1992, and we have about 6 of them.

3Caballeros

I just realized the obvious favorite for me...my coffee mugs! I get one each trip. It is my daily "dose" of Disney. At work, I rotate the cup for my mood... Eeyore for tired days, Goofy for crazy days, pooh when i need think and my mom mug most days.
Here are some of my favs..
1392478701015.jpg

elliot

Just got back last week. My big score which I'm sooo excited about is a "stained glass" window piece from Beauty and the Beast. It really pops. Sounds like it's a relatively new product with Fantasyland being open. I also tend to get a pin from where I stayed (Art of Animation this time) and a "personal" drawing from one of the artists in the art shops (Snow White this time). The wife goes for the coffee mugs. I go for art type things.

Cmdr_Crimson

Another Souvenir I really like and have displayed is my Mascot character set.
SSPX0004_zpsa4f60f68.jpg

Now these came out last year at $12.99 and they were with the Park attraction vehicle sets (Monorail,Tram,Train sets) on Display. I was really hoping they would have continued this wave of figures as they look much like their Theme Park Counterpart. Sadly they have sold out of them in the parks. However they did still have Pluto being sold at the Character Warehouse at the Premium Outlet off of Vineland for $6..I'm just glad I got them all before they disappeared.

MKforReal

Original Poster
One thing I.was thinking about doing was my own character drawing.from DHS. Also, had anyone ever watched the candy art in Japan at WS? I don't know if they still do it but I saw something on it and it looked pretty neat.

MKforReal

Original Poster
They announced that they discontinued the candy artist in Japan a few weeks ago..

Sigh. I am getting.so sick of hearing.things like that. Why do they keep taking the cool interesting things away? How discouraging. I hope the replace it with something equally.as.cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom