Trip Report Sometimes going halfway is a good thing - Max's Hong Kong Adventure

Hello All and welcome to another Max Trip Report
IMG_6282.JPG

This one is solo - sans family - as it was a quick stop at a new park for me
Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) opened in 2005 and has slowly been growing into itself
Initial feedback on HKDL was too small and not enough to do.
As you will see in this brief stop I had plenty to do (and actually did not accomplish everything I wanted to do)

Who: Max , aka Clarence to those who read my Cali report recently.
What: HKDL for a day and a bit
When: Friday Oct 6and Saturday Oct 7
Why: A Disney park I have not been to AND my company was sending me back to Japan so I detoured at the start of the business trip to catch this gem of a park.

Up next: Intercontinental travel !!

Max

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Your pictures are great! Looks like a fun trip so far :)
I was having fun up to that point and it got better the next day - stay tuned!!

Hooray for hotel FastPasses! It totally flabbergasts me how much busier the park was for your visit. I’d estimate 10x more people.

Festival of the Lion King was really well done, and apparently slightly different from DAK’s version. With the low crowds of September, it was useful to fill out the day.

Very eagerly awaiting your opinion on HKDL’s other treasures to come.
The hotel FP came in handy on day 2 as well
Unfortunately I did not get to do the shows I wanted to - poor planning on my part

Thanks for the great report.
The report is not over or as Monty Python put it
upload_2017-11-13_11-51-44.png

I'm glad you liked Mystic Manor, it was one of my favourite rides ever. Cant believe the wait was at 50 minutes - it was a walk on almost every time I did it. And I loved the Grizzly mountain runaway ride - it was so smooth, I loved it better than big thunder.
Mystic Manor is an amazing ride that the entire family can enjoy ( Walt would be impressed!!)

This is one of my favorites, because I love the Cinderella and Prince dancing sculpture in the middle of the banquet hall. There's this frenetic energy all around it with people rushing to order/get their food, etc. Then, you see this lovely white, serene statue of them waltzing together in the middle of it all. It's kinda like two universes going on there.
I wish I can say I artistically planned that picture but I did not.
Glad you like it - more to come

Never thought I’d say this, but I had fun in Hong Kong (virtually of course.) Thanks, Max!
Glad you are enjoying it so far - never say never

I am loving your trip report, all your photos are bringing back great memories. I am glad you loved Mystic Manor as it was my favorite ride. I am a bit sad you didn't get to see the Lion King as the HK version is much better than the WDW one.
You will be upset when you hear about the other show I missed on day 2 at the parks

Lovin' your report and Mystic Manor looks awesome! Maybe someday I'll get there.
I really hope you do make it to HKDL (and Tokyo Disney Sea)
I would love to see the amazing pictures that you would take and share with us

Max

kaitertot5249

So they came up with Mystic Manor
The home of an explorer who has found a magic music box that brings inanimate objects to life

Interesting point is that the man on the far left is Hightower - who is the "famous" explorer from Tokyo Disney Sea's Tower of Terror
(nice tie in boys!!!)
There is a pretty huge back story that goes very deep into Disney lore regarding S.E.A. and the various times Imagineers have worked the story line into Disney parks around the world. I find it very interesting!
There's a lot of articles out there if you want to read more about this society and the park to park tie ins.

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
There is a pretty huge back story that goes very deep into Disney lore regarding S.E.A. and the various times Imagineers have worked the story line into Disney parks around the world. I find it very interesting!
There's a lot of articles out there if you want to read more about this society and the park to park tie ins.
If you have a link to any of these back stories please share!!

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 3 cont'd - Walk around the resort before Breakfast!
IMG_6612.JPG

I was able to get someone to take a picture of me on the Mickey bench
IMG_6613.JPG

IMG_6615.JPG

I forgot to mention that I did try out the pool on the Friday night
Slide was fun but the water was so warm it was not refreshing at all
(it was still 28 C - 82 F at 10pm and still muggy)

It is a piano pool - hard to see from this shot
IMG_6618.JPG

IMG_6620.JPG

Tribute to the Hollywood sign in California
IMG_6619.JPG

IMG_6623.JPG

The path ways were meant to be roads so along the way I found this
IMG_6625.JPG

and this
IMG_6629.JPG

View from the back of the resort -expensive condos in the distance (I assume)
IMG_6628.JPG

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 3 - More pictures from the grounds behind the Hollywood Hotel
First off this is the google map of the Hollywood hotel
At the bottom of the sat pic in the middle is the walkway that goes outside the gate
The pathway that is perpendicular with the rocks beside it is public access (looks like a good biking or jogging trial)
As I looked across the water I saw the white building (guessing condos)
upload_2017-11-14_18-5-10.png

IMG_6632.JPG
IMG_6634.JPG

Check out the cool reflection in this plaque on the gate.
IMG_6639.JPG

Pictures on the outside of the gate
IMG_6641.JPG
IMG_6642.JPG
IMG_6644.JPG

Again the mirror plaque on the outside of the gate made for an interesting picture @fractal
IMG_6646.JPG

Here is a larger sat shot showing the bay and the location of the white buildings
upload_2017-11-14_18-11-32.png

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Overall view of resort
The shuttle bus took me from the HH (bottom left) to the Bus drop off (top middle)
The walk straight done to the circle courtyard is where the fountain is (Mickey surfing over the whale)
The entrance is to the left of the fountain (on this map)
The major attractions like Mystic Manor, Grizzley Gulch, etc show up on this screen shot too.
upload_2017-11-14_18-13-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-14_18-12-46.png
    upload_2017-11-14_18-12-46.png
    895.1 KB · Views: 39

fractal

Day 3 - More pictures from the grounds behind the Hollywood Hotel
First off this is the google map of the Hollywood hotel
At the bottom of the sat pic in the middle is the walkway that goes outside the gate
The pathway that is perpendicular with the rocks beside it is public access (looks like a good biking or jogging trial)
As I looked across the water I saw the white building (guessing condos)
View attachment 244346

View attachment 244337 View attachment 244338
Check out the cool reflection in this plaque on the gate.
View attachment 244342
Pictures on the outside of the gate
View attachment 244347 View attachment 244348 View attachment 244349
Again the mirror plaque on the outside of the gate made for an interesting picture @fractal
View attachment 244350

Here is a larger sat shot showing the bay and the location of the white buildings
View attachment 244351

I agree - nice reflection shot. Great shots all around!

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 3 - to the park I go!!
IMG_6701.JPG
IMG_6702.JPG

A few more Halloween banners
IMG_6704.JPG
IMG_6706.JPG
IMG_6708.JPG

IMG_6711.JPG

Bag check was quick (did not have one)
IMG_6710.JPG

Walked up to the front gate at about 8:50am (approx. 1 hour before opening and found this)
IMG_6713.JPG

No one waiting (perhaps this is what @D Hindley was taking about?
I placed my hat down to save my spot and then took some more pictures
IMG_6715.JPG
IMG_6716.JPG

For those noticing I switched from my blue Mickey Hat to my red Canadian Maple leaf hat

Those two hats are not permanently retired to the garage at home
I sweat so much over the 2 days that the hats are now "work around the garden/lawn " hats.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom