Some things you might not know about Disney...

bgoebel

Don't know if this is a commonly known one but here goes- the R'nR coaster track (HS) is actually supposedly shaped as a hidden Mickey (read it in my Frommers Disney World Guide).

abbeysmom

Now that is pretty cool. Not that I would know though..... That is one ride that I will never ride.......

When we took the Behind the Scenes tour 2 years ago, the guy told us that the little penny looking things on the walkways are actually sensors to keep the parade floats on track. I thought that was pretty neat.

Kingdom WDW

The railroads can't run during Wishes or SpectroMagic (or the daytime parades at that) because:

1. The parade floats cross the tracks at that roped-off road near Splash Mountain.

2. CMs must check the WDWRR tracks after the fireworks to make sure no debris landed on the tracks, posing a potential fire hazard.

Now that is pretty cool. Not that I would know though..... That is one ride that I will never ride.......

When we took the Behind the Scenes tour 2 years ago, the guy told us that the little penny looking things on the walkways are actually sensors to keep the parade floats on track. I thought that was pretty neat.

All the floats are driven by cast members, there is nothing keeping them on track, which is why it's so important that People do not cross the parade rout during the parade because the drivers can't see the rout very well in the dark. DON"T CROSS THE ROPES!!!!

disney9752

The railroads can't run during Wishes or SpectroMagic (or the daytime parades at that) because:

1. The parade floats cross the tracks at that roped-off road near Splash Mountain.

2. CMs must check the WDWRR tracks after the fireworks to make sure no debris landed on the tracks, posing a potential fire hazard.

this is wrong, wdwrr does run during parades, but it may slow it down, but during wishes it doesnt.

shakes20

Walt referred to anything that would encourage someone to in a certain direction (Cinderella's Castle beckoning you to walk towards it down Main Street, etc.) as a weinie. Apparently Walt loved hot dogs and was always drawn to hot dog vendors.

Gorjus

As you enter the MK (in the AM) the music is all bubbly and bouncy. Later that night, while leaving, the music is changed into slower, more soothing music.

Take a minute to notice this on your next visit. I think it's a very cool effect!

You just hit different sections of the loop. It is the same music all day every day:brick: Who knew someone who would make a point to listen to Main St music on Live365.com every day would eventually grow tired of it. There is an entrance loop that is heavy on "Summer Magic" music and a Main St loop that is heavy on "Hello Dolly" music.

I'm not sure if this is true for all of the parks, but at Epcot, in addition to the background music that is playing, they also play a recording of a bird chirping a distress call. Apparently it is a warning to other birds that there are predetors about to discourage birds from hanging around and leaving droppings on the buildings.

Periodically throughout the day at MK they will play the sound of a chicken hawk. It is apparently the natural predator of the sea gull. Aparrently it drives the sea gulls away.

elisatonks

Large parts of the Parade route at DHS had to be dug up and the pavement re-enforced so that Block Party Bash could be presented. Also if i remember rightly the Monsters inc float is the heavest float on WDW property.

raven

Walt referred to anything that would encourage someone to in a certain direction (Cinderella's Castle beckoning you to walk towards it down Main Street, etc.) as a weinie. Apparently Walt loved hot dogs and was always drawn to hot dog vendors.

Walt using the term "weinie" is correct but it was just a random word he started using.

abbeysmom

All the floats are driven by cast members, there is nothing keeping them on track, which is why it's so important that People do not cross the parade rout during the parade because the drivers can't see the rout very well in the dark. DON"T CROSS THE ROPES!!!!

Well they might be driven by cast members but he told us that those little thingys do something. I guess I don't remember exactly but it had to do with the floats and parades......... :veryconfu

Gorjus

If I'm not mistaken, it synchs the area music with the parade float music. In other words, it starts that song in that area at the point at which the song is playing in the first float. That way when the float arrives, and people are singing on the float, the are singing the exact same lines as those playing on the loudspeakers in that area of the park. Each time you watch the parade the music starts at a different point in the song, even if you stand in the same spot every day. The parade is approximately the same length every day, but not exactly, thus the need for synching.

shakes20

Walt using the term "weinie" is correct but it was just a random word he started using.

According to John Hench, in the book Designing Disney, it did refer to the fact that "Walt has a lifelong love of hot dogs." Not that it's that important...:shrug:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Nuclear Power

I read in a book about the building of Walt Disney World that under the Florida Law that forms the Reedy Creek Development District, Disney has the right to build its own power plants including a nuclear power plant. I understand that there is a conventional power plant, but no one ever really planned for a nuclear power plant.

If you've ever noticed the pirate skeletons playing chess in the line for POC, you might realize that they have reached, I believe the term is, endgame. A situation in which there are no legal moves so the game can not end. I'm not sure who created the set up for the pieces (Marty Sklar, John Hench maybe?) but it was an accurate representation of how a game could possibly turn out.
Unfortunately, during one particular refurbishment, Imagineers were cleaning up the scene and moved all of the pieces. No one could figure out where the pieces were supposed to go back. As luck would have it, the original Imagineer had kept meticulous notes and they had been filed away by Disney, including a diagram for the position of the pieces on the chess board.

I think it was Marc Davis

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom