Some things you might not know about Disney...

fauna

I knew that! That was the book that got me hooked on reading.

Well, finally somebody else remembers reading Johnny Tremain. I was talking about it a while ago and people were looking at me like I was from outer space. The WWod movie was pretty good - we rented it not that long ago.

WDW Monorail

A red airplane warning light in a no fly zone...go figure!

That's actually another strong rumor that is not true.

WDW is not a No-Fly zone. That's for places like Groom Lake.

The red beacon is used as a warning light for proximity to tall structures in the event of an emergeny. But it is Florida law and not all of Florida has a restricted flight zone NOTAM.

shakes20

If you've ever noticed the pirate skeletons playing chess in the line for POC, you might realize that they have reached, I believe the term is, endgame. A situation in which there are no legal moves so the game can not end. I'm not sure who created the set up for the pieces (Marty Sklar, John Hench maybe?) but it was an accurate representation of how a game could possibly turn out.
Unfortunately, during one particular refurbishment, Imagineers were cleaning up the scene and moved all of the pieces. No one could figure out where the pieces were supposed to go back. As luck would have it, the original Imagineer had kept meticulous notes and they had been filed away by Disney, including a diagram for the position of the pieces on the chess board.

Elonwy

When Walt Disney was purchasing the land for WDW he bought them in small parcels under several different names so no one would catch on that the same company was buying up a huge chunk of land in Florida

TigerLily_CM

There is a Disney University on property where you can take courses for computer skills or educational upgrading as well as fun courses such as the bartending course I took where I learned how to flip bottles, juggle and pour with a team mate and make a blowtorch, where you spit out a spray of booze and set it on fire

cdunbar

I heard a rumor, so it might or might not be true, but when a new ride is built the head imaginner of the project will place a hidden mickey that no one besides his or her family will know about, and if they have a child somewhere they will place his or her birthdate. I dunno if I believe the second part:shrug:

Jerriko

Actually we do sell markers... and even give them out free if you play a round of mini golf.

ok, but not inside the parks. I know because when we were there for our honeymoon, we had a shirt we wanted to get signatures on but forgot to bring a marker....we were told that they were not allowed to sell them.

Chris

P.S. think it's kinda silly to give out markers for a minigolf game...pencils will suffice and work everywhere else..

hpyhnt 1000

If you've ever noticed the pirate skeletons playing chess in the line for POC, you might realize that they have reached, I believe the term is, endgame. A situation in which there are no legal moves so the game can not end. I'm not sure who created the set up for the pieces (Marty Sklar, John Hench maybe?) but it was an accurate representation of how a game could possibly turn out.
Unfortunately, during one particular refurbishment, Imagineers were cleaning up the scene and moved all of the pieces. No one could figure out where the pieces were supposed to go back. As luck would have it, the original Imagineer had kept meticulous notes and they had been filed away by Disney, including a diagram for the position of the pieces on the chess board.

Whew! Thank goodness. Its a small thing, but its that kind of detail that makes Disney so great. :)

Here's one I wish had come to reality: during the planning stages of EPCOT Center, a PeopleMover was to be built circling and connecting the different parts of the park. The track would have gone through the Communicore/Innoventions buildings, similar to how the TTA goes through Space Mountain. The buildings were purposely built two stories high to facilitate the PeopleMover track. Unfortunately, this never came to be... :(

peter11435

ok, but not inside the parks. I know because when we were there for our honeymoon, we had a shirt we wanted to get signatures on but forgot to bring a marker....we were told that they were not allowed to sell them.

Chris

P.S. think it's kinda silly to give out markers for a minigolf game...pencils will suffice and work everywhere else..
Pencils are given out for keeping score. The markers are given out after you play as an advertisement for sharpie as part of a sponsorship agreement.

While you may have been told markers were not sold in the parks I can assure you this is not true. They come in many of the art and activity sets sold at wdw. I actually have a set that I purchased at the emporium.

yankspy

When Walt Disney was purchasing the land for WDW he bought them in small parcels under several different names so no one would catch on that the same company was buying up a huge chunk of land in Florida
I believe one of those names was M.T. Lott. Get it.

disney9752

Oh, and this one...

Okay, it's not Disney World, but back in the 70's at Disneyland, some creative parking attendants decided to play a practical joke. At the time, VW Bugs were very popular so they directed every one that came into the park that day to the same lot and then sat back and watched at the end of the day while people desperately tried to figure out which car was theirs!

i heard a similar thing happened at epcot b4, they decided to direct all white 4 door cars to a certain lot. that happens to be a very common color & make of rental cars, imagine the confustion at the end of that night.:hammer:

disney9752

I believe there was supposed to be a Russian pavilion too.

Also, at DHS, before everyone's favorite hat was put in :p, the central hub was actually a giant hidden mickey (my favorite one!)

mgmariel.gif

this was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy before the hat, it was before sunset blvd, & theater of the stars for beauty & the beast was where the tip board or beginning of sunset is.

shakes20

And the last piece of land that he bought for WDW was bought by Mickey Mouse! I actually had a chance to meet the daughter of the person who sold him the last property that he needed to complete the project!!!

Timekeeper

The large buttons on the ride control consoles (often green/red for start/stop) are referred to as "mushrooms" because of their mushroom-like shape.

DME

When you're in Star Tours, in the upper area (where the robots are fixing the other robots) before you tell the cast member how many are in your group, there are baskets above your head going around in a circle carrying space junk. Each basket has 2 to 3 letters on them followed by numbers. These are the initials and birthdates of the people who designed the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom