Some restaurants get new dress code

Computer Magic

This was on MousePlanet so I thought it was worth passing it on.

Flip-flops will keep you from being seated at several restaurants at Walt Disney World hotels, thanks to a new dress code. Seven of the resort's spiffiest restaurants have upgraded to a “business casual” requirement. The restaurants involved are:
  • Jiko (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
  • Flying Fish (BoardWalk)
  • California Grill (Contemporary)
  • Citricos and Narcoossee's (Grand Floridian)
  • Artist Point (Wilderness Lodge)
  • Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht Club)
The restaurants are defining “business casual” as dress shorts, pants, jean pants, collared shirts, blouses and sweaters. Hats, swimsuits, swimsuit coveralls, tank tops, T-shirts, torn clothing and flip-flops are not permitted.

I always thought yactsman was business casusal, as I was there in May. Not sure about the others.

MouseMadness

Well, I do think we're making an awful big deal about this. If you look at the list of "don'ts", it's really quite small. :) I suppose the biggest thing would be, for men, taking off hats? (At least the ones in my family) And for the women probably the shoes. *shrug*

Upvote 0

Cricket2713

Say I am given the choice between being seated next to one of these families. The first is a quiet couple dressed in T-shirts, ripped shorts and flip flops. The second a family of four, the parents dressed business casual, and the two young children running around the restaurant screaming and generally bothering all the other patrons. I would choose the first every time even if the couple was wearing Universal t-shirts. It's not what the people look like it is how they behave. I have seen more rude, obnoxious well-dressed people than I have rude t-shirt wearing ones.
I too go to Disney to get away from the real world. Part of the joy of Disney is that I can experience some nicer restaurants without having to worry about what I am wearing. Am I demanding that I should be allowed to dine in any restaurant on property wearing my normal park attire (shorts, t-shirt and sneakers)? No. Would I like to be allowed to hand over my money, which I work very hard for, to Disney to be able to experience places I normally wouldn't go to if they were in the real world while wearing what I do in the parks? Yes.

Cricket

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

*wading back into the fray*

I still think this whole thing is a tempest in a teapot... I really don't think things will change that much. Belle, you'll still be allowed to wear WDW t-shirts, provided they aren't ripped and you don't show up going "Where's my steak at? And I want a cute boy in a kilt serving it to me"!! ;) As seen from the first post, people can wear shorts to these restaurants, and nice flip flops will be allowed (ones that don't go "thwap thwap", Laughing Gravy!!) and families will be allowed in etc. etc. The list isn't that restrictive and, once again, allows for a very comfy range of clothing! Nobody is going to have to cram their feet into closed toe pumps... *shudder*

Bottom line: Dress codes are really just an attempt to prod people into not acting like animals when they're at these restaurants. I guarantee that if they could put up a sign that said: "Play nice, have some manners and for the love of God and all that's Holy, CHEW WITH YOUR MOUTHS CLOSED", they would find a way to do so!

Cricket, I would expect them to speak with that second couple you described in your post even more sternly than the people who would show up with rips in their clothing.

Upvote 0

Cricket2713

Lawyergirl I would hope that they would address the situation. But it seems many parents get somewhat irritated when they are told, no matter how tactfully, that their children are causing a problem.
The only restaurant where I have never been bothered by over excited and/or overtired children is Whispering Canyon Cafe where the energy is refocused by the staff in a great way.
There was one time in Artist Point that a baby was screaming and the mother had her meal packaged up so she could take the baby back to the room while the rest of her party stayed behind to eat. I almost fell out of my chair. Now here was a person who was considerate of the other people in the restaurant. BTW they were dressed in resort casual not business casual too.

Cricket2713

Upvote 0

bsandersjr

hcswingfield said:
Gee, I'm sorry. I was under the mistaken impression that forums were for people to express opinions on various topics. :hammer:

Expressing and arguing are two different things. All I was saying is I do not see how people can fight over their opinions. It's an opinion. Now, arguing over facts, now that's a different story.

No offense intended, just tried to cool things off that's all. :hammer:

Upvote 0

speck76

I am all for the new dress code.....I ate at Jiko and Artiist Point in the spring, and when spending that amount of money on food and drinks, I want good food, and I want a nice environment.....no "innappropriate" clothes.

Jiko was "smart casual" which they said meant no bathing suits, tank tops, or flip flops.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

lawyergirl77 said:
*wading back into the fray*

I still think this whole thing is a tempest in a teapot... I really don't think things will change that much. Belle, you'll still be allowed to wear WDW t-shirts, provided they aren't ripped and you don't show up going "Where's my steak at? And I want a cute boy in a kilt serving it to me"!! ;) As seen from the first post, people can wear shorts to these restaurants, and nice flip flops will be allowed (ones that don't go "thwap thwap", Laughing Gravy!!) and families will be allowed in etc. etc. The list isn't that restrictive and, once again, allows for a very comfy range of clothing! Nobody is going to have to cram their feet into closed toe pumps... *shudder*

Bottom line: Dress codes are really just an attempt to prod people into not acting like animals when they're at these restaurants. I guarantee that if they could put up a sign that said: "Play nice, have some manners and for the love of God and all that's Holy, CHEW WITH YOUR MOUTHS CLOSED", they would find a way to do so!

Cricket, I would expect them to speak with that second couple you described in your post even more sternly than the people who would show up with rips in their clothing.
Hey there Lawyergirl!!! Men in kilts as wait staff. I hadnt thought of that one!!!!!! HHHHHHMMM!!!!!!! Sounds good to me!!! :animwink: As far as the t shirt thing, that I may be out of luck on. The list of excluded items specifically does include T shirts!!! Im sure they mean tattered torn, stained type of tshrts or with something offensive on it etc, however my luck I will get the one CM That didnt get that much of an explanation and I wont be able to go eat at the restaurant of my choice!!! I am not looking to fight anyone here and if anything I Am defending your right to wear your flip flops if that is what you choose to wear to be comfortable!!!! I wouldnt doubt that they are pretty, as their owner has always shown class, style & taste!!! Belle

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

wannabeBelle said:
Hey there Lawyergirl!!! Men in kilts as wait staff. I hadnt thought of that one!!!!!! HHHHHHMMM!!!!!!! Sounds good to me!!! :animwink: As far as the t shirt thing, that I may be out of luck on. The list of excluded items specifically does include T shirts!!! Im sure they mean tattered torn, stained type of tshrts or with something offensive on it etc, however my luck I will get the one CM That didnt get that much of an explanation and I wont be able to go eat at the restaurant of my choice!!! I am not looking to fight anyone here and if anything I Am defending your right to wear your flip flops if that is what you choose to wear to be comfortable!!!! I wouldnt doubt that they are pretty, as their owner has always shown class, style & taste!!! Belle

Awww... thanks for the compliment! :eek:

Yup, but the list also specifically excludes flipflops and tank tops. And like I said, i don't think that you need to wear shirts with buttons to get in. They just want people looking neat 'n pretty, and to make people think twice about what they're going to wear when they go for these "Signature" dining experiences.

Like I said - I'm going with a tank top, flowing peasant skirt (it's twirly! woo hoo! ;)) and beaded flip flops when I go to Artist Point during my upcoming trip. I sincerely doubt that they're going to ask me to leave and change! Just like I think that if you wore one of your WDW t-shirts with a nice pair of shorts or a skirt, you'd be fine too.

I also think that nice jeans with a cute top would also fly in the fall, but that's just me...

And anyone who knows me in the real world would be killing themselves with laughter at the fact that I have been posting in the fashion thread. :lol: Trust me, it's pretty funny to have me talking about this!!!

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

After reading this entire thread I'll add my opinion....

I am one of those people who likes to dress accordingly to where I'm going. I feel akward if I'm not dressed nicely at a up-scale restaurant. Do I think *everyone* should be dressed accordingly? No. I think that's up to the guest. WDW is one of those strange exceptions to a dress code norm. To me, I enjoy taking at least one day and getting all pretty for a sit-down meal. On my honeymoon we're going to eat at California Grill and I will be wearing a lovely pink dress with strappy sandals and my husband will be in a kilt. :D

Upvote 0

celticdog

shoppingnut said:
As far as being entitled to dine in any restaurant of my choosing, yes, I am entitled to dine anywhere. If I am staying on property and paying for their dining plan, I am entitled to dine anywhere.

No you are not "entitled" to eat at any restuarant. If you don't have reservations or you show up too late in the evening, you may be turned away. If you're not dressed appropriately, you may be turned away. Your use of "entitled" implies: service without question, and that may not be the case. I have seen people turned away.

On a separate note, we've been assuming that Disney is just pulling the dress code out the blue. Maybe, just maybe, it's the result of guest suggestions.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Are Kilts in the dress code for men?? I Know they are Ok in the parks ( cough Off Kilter cough!) but in an upscale restaurant?? I just dont know!!! I understand that this is considered VERY formal wear but does everyone at Disney know that??
Hey there LawyerGirl!!! I understand the exact type of outfit that you are talking about. I own a few of those skirts myself. You like most people are going by the spirit of the policy, which is fine. I Am going by the exact letter of the policy. I am sure you will not be turned away just as I Am pretty certain I wouldnt be either, but I dislike the idea of someone being able to state "ma'am it is clearly in our poilicy to not allow you to dine here with that T Shirt on!" Despite the fact that the images on the tshirt happen to be Disney's corporate symbol!!!! I would certainly accept a "smart casual" or a "resort casual" dress code but Business casual is a bit much. I understand the point. I just dont agree with all the particulars. How about a simple statement that appropriate dress is expected and management reserves the right to refuse service based on that? too ambiguous? That is kind of my problem with the entire thing. Belle

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

wannabeBelle said:
Are Kilts in the dress code for men?? I Know they are Ok in the parks ( cough Off Kilter cough!) but in an upscale restaurant?? I just dont know!!! I understand that this is considered VERY formal wear but does everyone at Disney know that??

I am still kinda iffy on him wearing the kilt to dinner :lookaroun ...he did say he's going to try and wear it to Epcot...but I hope there won't be an issue with it at dinner. We'll find out when we get down there I suppose.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

diddy_mouse said:
I am still kinda iffy on him wearing the kilt to dinner :lookaroun ...he did say he's going to try and wear it to Epcot...but I hope there won't be an issue with it at dinner. We'll find out when we get down there I suppose.
Wear the kilt says I!!!!!! And definitely make sure to stop by the Off Kilter stage area if they are playing on that day, he will blend right in with the rest of the good looking men in kilts!!!!! What plaid is he wearing??? Belle

Upvote 0

Woody13

wannabeBelle said:
I would say no, only because I never wear shorts. I have very muscular legs and women tend to stare (some men too) so I always wear slacks to avert the problem.

Upvote 0

speck76

Woody13 said:
I would say no, only because I never wear shorts. I have very muscular legs and women tend to stare (some men too) so I always wear slacks to avert the problem.

I have a problem that my "boys" hang so low that shorts are indecent :lookaroun

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom