Trip Report Solo: A Disneyland Story - My first trip by myself!

Alright, I won't get too into it, but there's been a lot of rough stuff in my life the last several years. Depression, anxiety, family member deaths, family members battling (and surviving) cancer, issues with school. A bunch of stuff.

But, I'm graduating soon. I have, with plenty of therapy and counseling, gotten too a very liveable and manageable point with my mental health. Family member health is stable and safe.

Life was dark for a while, but I've made it out the other end and things are looking bright.

After saving up for about a year, I've finally got to the point where I can take my dream solo trip to Disneyland! My first time since 2005 when I was nine years old.

It's gonna be a real budget trip, but I'm so excited! I made it work and I can do it!

I'm in the airport now ready to fly across the country!

Today is a travel day, then I have four park days, then a travel day to take me back home!

1547978232374-2055139032.jpg

Next time I see the sun, I'm be in the air!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
God I'm so mixed on Space at Disneyland vs. WDW. Both versions have serious strengths and weaknesses that almost counter balance each other. Disneyland's ride is smoother, the music is WAY better, and the effects are more elaborate. WDW has a far, FAR better queue (Space at Disneyland is honestly one of the worst queues in the resort, it's literally mostly on an uncovered roof...). WDW also has a far more thrilling coaster experience. Disneyland's version probably wins out overall, but it's one of the tightest "which version is better" races.

Speaking of WDW vs. Disneyland, I'm one of the very few people who prefers Dinosaur to Indy. Indy has the way better queue and story, but there's something very intense and scary on a primal, guttural level about Dinosaur that you simply don't get at all when riding Indy. It's an intense ride vs. a really fun ride.
I'll let you guys know what I think tomorrow!

Also, got distracted wandering through downtown then through Disneyland hotel. Now paradise pier hotel. Then I realized I was getting like way to hungry, so I'm eating at the qsr thing in paradise pier.

Love everything so far! The hotels are a bit underwhelming compared to WDW hotels, but still amazing.

@TheOriginalTiki I actually like Downtown Disney more than Disney Springs (despite being smaller). I've always had mixed feelings on the springs transformation. I feel it kind of took a lot of the character and charm out of the area. Downtown Disney still has the charm I want

TheOriginalTiki

I'll jump in and say that you MUST do Mr. Lincoln. It bored me as a kid, but as an adult it's absolutely one of THE top tier attractions in the entire resort. As good as the two political attractions at WDW are in Hall of Presidents and American Adventure, Mr. Lincoln blows them both completely out of the water. It's far more intimate than American Adventure, but does SUCH a better job of telling a cohesive narrative that genuinely makes you proud of our country's history.

TheOriginalTiki

I'll let you guys know what I think tomorrow!

Also, got distracted wandering through downtown then through Disneyland hotel. Now paradise pier hotel. Then I realized I was getting like way to hungry, so I'm eating at the qsr thing in paradise pier.

Love everything so far! The hotels are a bit underwhelming compared to WDW hotels, but still amazing.

@TheOriginalTiki I actually like Downtown Disney more than Disney Springs (despite being smaller). I've always had mixed feelings on the springs transformation. I feel it kind of took a lot of the character and charm out of the area. Downtown Disney still has the charm I want

Oh man, I can't sign off on that Disney Springs vs. DTD thing at all. There's SOOOO much more going on at Disney Springs. All the little hidden lounges like Enzo's, the cavalcade of live entertainment, the freaking Edison, the sheer variety of different dining options so vast it's practically overwhelming. I definitely have a metric ton of nostalgia for DTD but it feels like a parking lot carnival compared to the flat out theme park that is Disney Springs. Glad you're liking everything so far, though. I've had many a mickey mouse waffle in the Paradise Pier quick service location haha.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Oh man, I can't sign off on that Disney Springs vs. DTD thing at all. There's SOOOO much more going on at Disney Springs. All the little hidden lounges like Enzo's, the cavalcade of live entertainment, the freaking Edison, the sheer variety of different dining options so vast it's practically overwhelming. I definitely have a metric ton of nostalgia for DTD but it feels like a parking lot carnival compared to the flat out theme park that is Disney Springs. Glad you're liking everything so far, though. I've had many a mickey mouse waffle in the Paradise Pier quick service location haha.
The scale of springs definitely elevates it up higher. I'll give you that. But I enjoy the visuals and feel of DTD more even if it has less standouts like Edison and Hangar Bar

TheOriginalTiki

Definitely excited to compare some of the similar rides! And super excited for things like Lincoln and Toad that we don't have in Florida!

In addition to those two, Alice is probably THE best traditional C Ticket dark ride Disney's ever done. Also please don't overlook Casey Jr. and Storybookland. Do them both! Preferably at night. That whole area is an absolute gem that would never be built in a modern Disney park. My stomach churns at the idea of it ever being replaced by a Frozen ride or something.

You're going to love Mission Breakout! If I'm being completely honest, it might actually be better than Florida's Tower of Terror.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I actually like Downtown Disney more than Disney Springs (despite being smaller). I've always had mixed feelings on the springs transformation. I feel it kind of took a lot of the character and charm out of the area. Downtown Disney still has the charm I want

I feel the same way. Springs is modern and trendy, whereas Downtown Disney (original) had the Disney charm. I'm glad they kept the Marketplace portion, at least.

TheOriginalTiki

I know you're on a budget, but I'd highly, HIGHLY recommend spending the ten dollars a day to get MaxPass. Trust me, it makes things SOOO much easier in the Fastpass department. Yes, it kind of stinks paying for a service you get for free at WDW, but you have to realize that since there's no booking FP in advance at Disneyland big rides can keep their FP stock far into the evening. Stuff like Radiator Springs Racers and Breakout goes fast (Breakout not as fast as you'd expect. Racers FP are still weirdly hard to come by but why bother with one anyways when there's a single rider line for that...) but it's not rare at all to be able to book the mountains well into the evening, for example. Not having to physically walk to the Fastpass machines is a god send and well worth the ten bucks.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I know you're on a budget, but I'd highly, HIGHLY recommend spending the ten dollars a day to get MaxPass. Trust me, it makes things SOOO much easier in the Fastpass department. Yes, it kind of stinks paying for a service you get for free at WDW, but you have to realize that since there's no booking FP in advance at Disneyland big rides can keep their FP stock far into the evening. Stuff like Radiator Springs Racers and Breakout goes fast (Breakout not as fast as you'd expect. Racers FP are still weirdly hard to come by but why bother with one anyways when there's a single rider line for that...) but it's not rare at all to be able to book the mountains well into the evening, for example. Not having to physically walk to the Fastpass machines is a god send and well worth the ten bucks.
I might get maxpass if there's things I haven't done my last two days. Though, as weird as it may sound, I'm kinda excited for the nostalgia of paper fast passes and not using my phone for that. At least for my first day or two.

What rides have single riders? So I know not to bother with fast passes. I didn't even really think to research that since WDW only has like three rides that have it in the entire resort. And one of those only does it sometimes.

D Hulk

I might get maxpass if there's things I haven't done my last two days. Though, as weird as it may sound, I'm kinda excited for the nostalgia of paper fast passes and not using my phone for that. At least for my first day or two.

What rides have single riders? So I know not to bother with fast passes. I didn't even really think to research that since WDW only has like three rides that have it in the entire resort. And one of those only does it sometimes.
Single rider DL:
Space
Splash
Indy
Matterhorn

DCA:
RSR
Incredicoaster
Goofy’s Sky School

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Anyways, my plan for tonight: nap until 8. Get showered and cleaned up and all. Explain more of Harbor Blvd/Downtown Disney and watch the fireworks from outside the park. Or just rest and only leave my room to watch fireworks.

@D Hindley if ya do come down, let me know and well make some plans. But for now, gotta nap before i pass out lol

D Hulk

Anyways, my plan for tonight: nap until 8. Get showered and cleaned up and all. Explain more of Harbor Blvd/Downtown Disney and watch the fireworks from outside the park. Or just rest and only leave my room to watch fireworks.

@D Hindley if ya do come down, let me know and well make some plans. But for now, gotta nap before i pass out lol
It won’t be today. We’ll see if I can get into Anaheim during the week; I don’t usually plan my Disneyland visits more than 45 minutes in advance.

Have a magical nap!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom