Trip Report Solo: A Disneyland Story - My first trip by myself!

Alright, I won't get too into it, but there's been a lot of rough stuff in my life the last several years. Depression, anxiety, family member deaths, family members battling (and surviving) cancer, issues with school. A bunch of stuff.

But, I'm graduating soon. I have, with plenty of therapy and counseling, gotten too a very liveable and manageable point with my mental health. Family member health is stable and safe.

Life was dark for a while, but I've made it out the other end and things are looking bright.

After saving up for about a year, I've finally got to the point where I can take my dream solo trip to Disneyland! My first time since 2005 when I was nine years old.

It's gonna be a real budget trip, but I'm so excited! I made it work and I can do it!

I'm in the airport now ready to fly across the country!

Today is a travel day, then I have four park days, then a travel day to take me back home!

1547978232374-2055139032.jpg

Next time I see the sun, I'm be in the air!

TheOriginalTiki

Ah, if my shuttle ever gets here then hopefully I'll get to see that lol

I've been warned to avoid that place like the plague. Mostly because it's a good place to catch the plague.

Honestly, probably whatever is closest to the hotel and cheap for my first meal. I haven't eaten more than airplane pretzels, a pop tart, and a gogurt since I got up at 3:30 WDW time. I'm starving lol

You're staying at the Day's Inn, right? There's a Shakey's Pizza connected to it, but I'm not sure I ever saw it open when I stayed there back in October haha. For a good meal that's not going to break the bank I'd recommend Mimi's Cafe connected to the Howard Johnson. Either that or Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney if you're not already sick of that place from your time in WDW. Don't skip on the continental breakfast at the hotel. They go far beyond pastries and cereal and will make you hot pancakes and waffles for free.

TheOriginalTiki

Shakey's is open! I just checked haha. It has three stars, which isn't extremely bad.

The only point of reference I have for Shakey's is the one time Cartman used stem cell research to "clone" a Shakey's Pizza, haha. Monkey loves to tell the story of how shocked I was when I drove by the one on Harbor and realized it was a real chain not invented for the show.

NateD1226

I agree with Tiki on the his dining options. If you don't want a Disney Property meal, then totally go to Mimi's Cafe. If you want a Disney Property meal, Ballast Point just opened at Downtown Disney! I haven't tried it yet, but it looks really good.

TheOriginalTiki

It is just as my illustrations have prophesied. :geek: @Pi on my Cake shall dwell at the Riviera Motel and dine at Captain Kidd's.

enhance

enhance

I love how there's a condemned sign on the I-Hop. My sketchiest Harbor experience happened there during my first Disneyland solo trip when I couldn't sleep at all so I went to I-Hop at like 5AM. When I got seated I overheard some of the staff talking about a woman who had fallen asleep in the bathroom. Sure enough midway through my meal this MESS of a homeless woman who had obviously just been shooting up comes stumbling out of the bathroom and proceeds to just STAND THERE and stare me the hell down as I ate. The staff did nothing. I thought for sure I was about to get robbed the entire time I finished eating, haha.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
It is just as my illustrations have prophesied. :geek: @Pi on my Cake shall dwell at the Riviera Motel and dine at Captain Kidd's.

enhance

enhance
Lol your prophecies might be wrong on both counts. I switched to the days inn when I saw a deal that saved me 100 bucks. I'll be sure to visit the Riviera though!

The only point of reference I have for Shakey's is the one time Cartman used stem cell research to "clone" a Shakey's Pizza, haha. Monkey loves to tell the story of how shocked I was when I drove by the one on Harbor and realized it was a real chain not invented for the show.
I actually just finished watching all of South Park like a week ago (started in late November lol). Had never seen more than a stray episode here and there then I finally caved and watched it. I knew Shakeys pizza sounded familiar!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Shuttle ride was really cool. It's easy to forget that the whole world isn't flat, humid, swampland like florida lol. Seeing mountains in the distance was a nice novelty.

Can't check into hotel till 3, but i was able to drop off my luggage. Now I'm walking to check out downtown Disney. Where is Mimi's cafe?

TheOriginalTiki

Lol maybe another time

Also, 22 minute leisurely stroll from hotel to center of esplanade including going through security

View attachment 342291

You're a bit early for Trader Sam's. I'd definitely recommend hitting up all the resorts though. Disneyland Hotel has some really cool models in the lobbies, the main lobby of the Grand Californian is a site to behold, and even the Paradise Pier Hotel has a really cool glass elevator. Other than that there's really not a ton to see in Downtown Disney unfortunately. It's a pale shadow compared to Disney Springs.

TheOriginalTiki

My one ride rec is Space Mountain! It's a lot better than WDW's.

God I'm so mixed on Space at Disneyland vs. WDW. Both versions have serious strengths and weaknesses that almost counter balance each other. Disneyland's ride is smoother, the music is WAY better, and the effects are more elaborate. WDW has a far, FAR better queue (Space at Disneyland is honestly one of the worst queues in the resort, it's literally mostly on an uncovered roof...). WDW also has a far more thrilling coaster experience. Disneyland's version probably wins out overall, but it's one of the tightest "which version is better" races.

Speaking of WDW vs. Disneyland, I'm one of the very few people who prefers Dinosaur to Indy. Indy has the way better queue and story, but there's something very intense and scary on a primal, guttural level about Dinosaur that you simply don't get at all when riding Indy. It's an intense ride vs. a really fun ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom