Solar power farm coming to Disney

halltd

A quick update on this for clarification's sake: the farm will be - as guessed earlier - in the northeast corner of the EPCOT Resorts Blvd/World Drive intersection along World Drive.

Where'd you get that plan? I want to check out the full drawing if possible!

toolsnspools

With that heavy duty fencing around it, it will probably look more like "Mickey Prison". Now that I think about it, I may drive past there when the kids are acting up... :)

the.dreamfinder

Does anyone know why they wouldn't opt to build panels on the resort's acres of parking like this?
redskins-green-stadiums-solar-panels_40280_600x450.jpg

MGMBoy

I wonder if cars driving down World Drive, north, will even be able to make out the shape of the solar farm. Unless that area is well below grade, I don't think it will be obvious. Which may be a good thing, get enough accidents at the sign entering the park.

I'm thinking they will grade it up to make it more visible. Plus, it would give the panels a slightly higher profile facing south to grab more light.

Monorail_Red_77

Knowing Disney, they will put hedges around it so it will be invisible to cars. Then they will upcharge the few rooms that can view it from Yacht and Beach Club resorts. So majority of people will have to wait till google scans that area on it's next satellite pass after construction completes, to be able to view it.

raven

So it's roughly the size of the Epcot parking lot, wouldn't it have been so much better to build solar covered parking instead? Would be a neato, visible thing for all, like the roof of Energy and provide a true benefit to all parking there.

...the solar array still continues to give visitors to the Universe of Energy a "ride on sunshine."

I think that Duke Energy will be a good Sponsor of Universe of Energy and Bring Back the songs from the Old Universe of Energy!

And I REALLY hope that this means that changes are on the way for the Universe of Energy.

I hope that Disney needed to update of Universe of Energy!

Only thing I remember was that Solar Powered Myst Spraying bench that was by Innoventions East a few years ago..It was the only other thing came out using solar panels besides UoE's Roof
epsolarbenchdemo.jpg

Let's hope it isn't just "for show" like UoE is. Yes, Universe of Energy's solar panels aren't connected anymore and it's simply there "for show." The building faces West Southwest and didn't soak up as many rays as planned (like the bench above) so they disconnected the panels shortly before the park opened in '82 and just left them there.

lobelia

I've got the solution right in my basement: SoWoT (S'load of Wildebeest on Treadmills). Since I've already done all the developmental work, I can tell you that a ratio of 23 wildebeest to 11 treadmills works best. If you discount the cost of wildebeest feed, treadmill maintenance, wildebeest damage, and the inconvenience of 14 times a day floor cleanups, all your energy will be free. I will impart some expertise at no cost to you. First, don't get a mixed gender herd. They don't seem very responsive to sex ed classes. Second, don't get an all male herd.....basement damage out the old wazoo to say the least. An all female herd is the way to go. I'll tell you how to get those ladies moving on the treadmill and how to wire your house if you subscribe to my to my "BPNL (Beest Power News Letter)."
You forgot the methane you can collect and burn and 14 clean ups could become compost for garden. Win-win.

Cmdr_Crimson

Let's hope it isn't just "for show" like UoE is. Yes, Universe of Energy's solar panels aren't connected anymore and it's simply there "for show." The building faces West Southwest and didn't soak up as many rays as planned (like the bench above) so they disconnected the panels shortly before the park opened in '82 and just left them there.

If that's the case....Why is the pavilion the first one closed in Future world?

Monorail_Red_77

I thought the solar panels are still in use on UoE. I think @Marney mentioned that they just went through a rehab and replaced the solar panels on UoE about 10 years ago or so.

articos

The UoE panels are used, @raven. They had some initial growing pains, but they were solved.

mm121

Nice!! From the sounds of the article we may be getting a large hidden mickey on property. Instead of the volunteer planted mickey forest off property to the North West.
wheres the forest mickey at?
A quick update on this for clarification's sake: the farm will be - as guessed earlier - in the northeast corner of the EPCOT Resorts Blvd/World Drive intersection along World Drive.

192yp2.png
its too bad they didnt just make the head bigger and get rid of that extra section
Does anyone know why they wouldn't opt to build panels on the resort's acres of parking like this?
redskins-green-stadiums-solar-panels_40280_600x450.jpg
cost, maintenance, hazards, etc

the most logical place for a system like this would have been the top level of the parking garages at dtd

danlb_2000

Premium Member

its too bad they didnt just make the head bigger and get rid of that extra section

the most logical place for a system like this would have been the top level of the parking garages at dtd

The head is on a chunk of land that is considered suitable for construction, and it appears they made it big enough to fill that space. Any large and it would have gone into wetlands.

MGMBoy

To find the the forest Mickey, you can search "
Hidden Mickey (Clue/Hint 94 of Ch. 7)
" on Google maps and it will drop you right there.

EDIT: Made the search term a spoiler for those who may want to try to find it for themselves.

Last edited:

Monorail_Red_77

If you want a bigger clue as to where the mickey forest is. You can look on google earth or google maps north-west of WDW and it is pretty much bordering Lake Louisa State Park to the East. It is on private land that Disney Voluntears planted in the early to mid 1990's (not sure of exact date). I believe it was part of a program that Disney did to mitigate other wetlands they were building on at the time. But, I'm not 100% on that. I have a video from youtube in my collection as well that talks about it when they were actually planting it.

I can post a pic if you want also. But, have fun and try to find it first.

mm121

The head is on a chunk of land that is considered suitable for construction, and it appears they made it big enough to fill that space. Any large and it would have gone into wetlands.
it seems like so much potential is ruined by the wetlands rules, i'm all for saving the environment, but how is disney so restricted when it comes to wanting to develop their property

yet if a shopping mall or apartment complex wants to build something they can build on every inch of a property.

To find the the forest Mickey, you can search "
Hidden Mickey (Clue/Hint 94 of Ch. 7)
" on Google maps and it will drop you right there.

EDIT: Made the search term a spoiler for those who may want to try to find it for themselves.

found it, thanks

its interesting that was built by volunteers, seems like something that would be appropriate to have been created on disney property somewhere

danlb_2000

Premium Member
it seems like so much potential is ruined by the wetlands rules, i'm all for saving the environment, but how is disney so restricted when it comes to wanting to develop their property

yet if a shopping mall or apartment complex wants to build something they can build on every inch of a property.

found it, thanks

its interesting that was built by volunteers, seems like something that would be appropriate to have been created on disney property somewhere

It's not merely a case of arbitrary rules, Disney can actually build on wetlands if they want, they just need to show that they are mitigating the impacts. The more practical problem is that Florida get A LOT of rain, often in very small quick bursts and that water has to go somewhere. The suitability ratings on pieces of land are also not arbitrary, they are based on the nature of the land and how difficult it would be to build on. Low lying land that tends to flood a lot is harder to build on then higher land with good drainage.

Voxel

President of Progress City

found it, thanks

In short:
Conservation is part of the legal basis for the Reedy Creek Improvement District even existing. I.E They agreed to a certain level on Conservation to get the legal status they wanted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom