Solar power farm coming to Disney

Mouse_Trap

Five MegaWatts.

The average home in Florida uses 14.33 MegaWatts per year.

So yes, this is just a drop in the bucket. But its a start.

That would be 14.33mWh then I presume?
That's scary. My latest energy bill estimates I use just shy of 2,000kWh (that 2mWh) annually. I'm not a high user, but that is a massive difference.

That's what powers your phone, your camera, your Tesla. But, the media doesn't share those pictures...do they. <wink>

For anyone interested, there was an excellent program on BBC about this a few months back

Panorama S62E44 Apples Broken Promises

I can't find it on Youtube, and it's no longer available on BBC iPlayer (30 days only), but it's easily available from any of the download or torrent sites.

They recently completed installing the world's largest solar farm at the Indianapolis Airport, a few miles from my house. Here's an aerial photo of the sea of panels:

You mean the world's largest solar farm at an airport. The world's largest solar farms are multiple times that.
To be fair though, I've never before seen such an install at an airport.

WDWLover#1

No fossil fuel is unlimited, eventually "alternative energy" will be our only choice.
I'm confused by this. Fossil fuels are limited. Once we use them they're gone. They can come back but it'll take millions of years for them to form again. So alternative energy will then be our only choice.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm confused by this. Fossil fuels are limited. Once we use them they're gone. They can come back but it'll take millions of years for them to form again. So alternative energy will then be our only choice.
Commas are important.

"No, fossil fuel is unlimited, eventually "alternative energy" will be our only choice." is what you read, instead of what was typed "No fossil fuel is unlimited, eventually "alternative energy" will be our only choice."

Though, really it should be...

"No fossil fuel is unlimited. Eventually, "alternative energy" will be our only choice."

Anyhow, point is, reread it. The poster agrees with you.

Figment2005

They recently completed installing the world's largest solar farm at the Indianapolis Airport, a few miles from my house. Here's an aerial photo of the sea of panels:

View attachment 94858

Here's an article from the Indy Star about the project. The information I've highlighted sheds some serious light on this initiative....

The world's largest airport solar farm is now up and running at Indianapolis International Airport.

With the second phase of an expansion now complete, the solar farm more than doubled in size and boasts 76,000 photovoltaic solar panels, according to a news release. The second phase of the project added 32,100 sun-tracking panels that will produce more than 15.2 million kilowatt hours of electricity annually, the release states.

The 75-acre facility at the airport before the expansion already was the largest airport solar farm in the nation.

"The airport could not be more thrilled to have the largest airport-based solar farm right here in our growing city of Indianapolis," Mario Rodriguez, executive director of the Indianapolis Airport Authority, said in prepared remarks. "The Solar Farm not only enhances our environmentally friendly and energy-efficient terminal campus, but also played a huge role in our recent recognition of being named one of America's greenest airports."

The expanded portion of the solar farm creates enough energy to power more than 1,410 average American homes for a year, the release states.

Indianapolis Power & Light Co. buys the solar farm's power, which costs three to four times the price for which IPL can sell it, officials have said. The utility has subsidized the difference by raising rates to its customers. The increase in electric bills to subsidize the solar farm amounts to several cents a month on the average customer bill. Solar farms also benefit from federal tax credits.

The solar farm has required about a dozen employees to operate. It is owned and operated by a Taiwanese company, General Energy Solutions, which has U.S. offices in California.

"It is an iconic structure that symbolizes how renewable energy in this country is affordable and reliable," Kurt Schneider, vice president of Johnson Melloh Solutions, said in a statement. "JMS is proud of the teamwork displayed by IND and IPL that made this green project such a great success.

"Our hope is that many visitors from other states and countries fly into IND and realize after passing the solar farm that Indiana is both a great place to live and a progressive community for thriving new businesses."
That solar farm is impressive, and I love seeing it when heading back to the airport after visiting my family. Took me completely by surprise last Christmas as I had no idea it was even being built.

Nubs70

Are you sure about limited? Could the conditions exist for natural Fischer Tropsch reactions?

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
@Nubs70 has it right here, The net metering agreements in my state are heavily biased against the solar interconnect. Basically they pay you the LOWEST retail rate and in exchange charge you the highest retail rate, So battery systems are fairly popular in the solar community at least in my state (which has a legacy of corrupt practices in power sales and regulation) in many instances its cheaper to fire up a natural gas powered home generator than buy from the 'grid'.

So in many of the larger solar systems you have panels/batts/genset combos.
Things like this is what scares the crap out of me and has kept me from pulling the trigger on solar.

If I were to install a solar system today, I would shave about $50-$100 off of a power bill that falls in the mid $200-$300 range, but all it would take is a change in buy-back rates and I would be back paying the same price if not more.

The panels will go up when I can keep all that I generate and just buy what little else I might need.

Rasvar

Things like this is what scares the crap out of me and has kept me from pulling the trigger on solar.

If I were to install a solar system today, I would shave about $50-$100 off of a power bill that falls in the mid $200-$300 range, but all it would take is a change in buy-back rates and I would be back paying the same price if not more.

The panels will go up when I can keep all that I generate and just buy what little else I might need.
The battery systems are still lagging behind but the technology is starting to improve. Right now, for the vast majority of people, solar isn't cost effective. However, it is getting there. Plus, the power grid is not really well designed to handle a lot of people generating their own power and then putting it on the grid. Larger scale projects actually work better right now. Even in just the last decade, improvements have been made in making more smaller scale sources work better. I'm still think another decade or two before the technology is mature enough to be everywhere and cost effective.

DisneyCane

One thing that should be clarified. I'm assuming the 5MW quoted output is the maximum during ideal angle full sunlight. When looking at the percentage of WDW's power that this farm will produce, I think that is important.

Rasvar

Laugh all you want but coal-fired power plants are the primary source of energy for many countries and you can bet your bottom dollar that China and India aren't going to covert to solar or wind EVER. We all know that this solar powered "venture" by Disney is nothing but government subsidized propaganda and if we as a people are serious about reducing air pollution (which is what this is all about), allowing our government to waste our tax dollars on solar and wind is not the answer. Renewable energy is not cost-effective and will never be a viable alternative to fossil fuel and if it were, the Chinese would be all over it.

Chinese would be all over it?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You are entitled to an opinion and this should be a discussion, but you are doing the same thing by saying that the people who disagree with you are obviously misinformed. I have no idea what your background is, but I've spent over a decade working in the energy industry specifically for a company that owns both traditional fossil fuel generation as well as wind and solar generation. Since I am on both sides of the equation I'm much less biased than someone who is only working for a fossil fuel company or a green energy company. I may not know everything about the specific laws in every state, but I can assure you I'm not "obviously misinformed". I'm basing my statements in this thread on intimate knowledge of very similar projects and working in the actual industry, not a bunch of buzz words and political catch phrases. I don't work for Duke so I haven't seen this particular contract, but I've seen many similar contracts and in most cases they are structured to be pretty good deals for the customer over the long run. As far as efficiency, wind doesn't work in central Florida. It only works in areas with a lot of wind. Solar works pretty well...it's sunny there a lot. As far as tax breaks, solar and wind don't get any more tax breaks than have been around for for oil and natural gas companies for years. Google master limited partnership or tax breaks for oil companies. The other benefit is these projects are often times owned by an independent company or part of the non-regulated side of a utility so they don't rely on rate payers if there are cost overruns like a typical utility project. The risk is on the company not the rate payers. Talk to @ford91exploder about stranded costs from utilities spending money poorly.

Clean coal is kinda dead at this point. It pains me to say it because I really thought for a while it had a lot of promise. There was some encouraging progress made on plasma gasification a few years back but they were never able to take a sample project and get it up to commercial size and keep the economics in place. My company actually had a contract with the NY power authority to sell the output of a plant after converting an existing traditional coal plant to a "clean coal" plant. By the time the project was reading to break ground we couldn't get the economics to work and the project died. Now that nat gas is under $3 per mmbtu and near unlimited supply from all the fracking going on, it's hard to justify converting plants into anything other than nat gas plants. Nobody is going to lend you money to build clean coal. A short sited and limited view point, but you have to convince a bank to lend you money for these types of projects or they are dead in the water.

One area for coal that has some promise is in a process where you extract the CO2 from a coal plant's emissions and pipe it to a spent oil field where it is used for oil recovery. When a traditional oil field stops producing oil easily there is usually still a lot of oil left in the ground it just needs some help coming out. For years companies pumped water into an oil well under high pressure to get excess oil out. Even after using oil there is still residual oil that's hard to get out. It was discovered that CO2 works better than water and can get even more of the stranded oil out. The only problem was getting large concentrations of CO2. If you have a coal burning power plant in say Texas that is relatively close to a spent oil field you build a pipeline and pump it in. The system allows the CO2 to be recycled at the oil field and used multiple times. Once all of the oil is extracted the well is capped permanently trapping the CO2 underground. It's basically carbon capture and sequestration with a twist. The oil produced offsets the cost of the system and you end up with a coal plant with very low CO2 emissions. This had a lot more promise when crude was over $100 a barrel but the economics still work...barely.

Nuclear isn't much better off than clean coal at this point. The obvious risks and issues with storing spent fuel are one thing, but the bigger problem is again the nat gas prices being under $3 per mmbtu. Anyone living in Illinois should know this too well. Exelon is trying to get rate payers in the state to pay well above market prices for the output of several smaller nuclear plants there in order to keep them open. It's not very easy to justify the expense of new nuclear projects. I know this again from first hand experience.

Natural Gas will not ALWAYS be cheap, In NE and other areas where pipeline capacity is limited it's actually quite expensive. We really need to go back to the regulated model where we had a mix of power sources and all operated with regulated returns. Then spot shortages of specific fuels do not cause massive market swings.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

It's why the best bet for residential is someone like SolarCity who owns and maintains the panels and you sign a long term deal to buy power from them at a stated rate which is usually discounted from current utility rate. You have shifted the risk to SolarCity, The worst that can happen in that scenario is you have to go back to the utility for power.

BuzzKillington

The Chinese build junk and I will predict right now that there will be mass executions over the fraud that is taking place within that country.

Cheap Chinese solar panels have flooded the market and are now starting to fail at an alarming rate. Solar panels covering a warehouse roof in Los Angeles were only two years into their expected 25-year life span when they began to fail. Worldwide, solar power adopters are reporting similar problems and the $77 billion solar industry is facing a quality crisis reports Doug Hoffman.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2014/04/20/solar-panel-degradation/
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-09-18/a-new-report-on-a-failed-chinese-venture-in-the-us

China is desperate to clean up their air and will try anything but they are being mislead just as we are. At least the air pollution will block out the view of all the defective solar panels littering their countryside.

Last edited:

BuzzKillington

I swear I didn't know about this fiasco when posting above but it is now apparent that China's solar energy venture that they have been investing so heavily in is a total scam and the CEO of this company will be the first fraudster to lose his head. This makes our Solyndra solar-panel scandal seem pale in comparison to this one. Thankfully, our government only allowed us tax payers to be bilked out of $550M in that worthless investment. The Chinese investors lost $19B in 24 minutes.

Chinese billionaire a no-show after his solar company loses US$19B in market value in just 24 minutes

BLOOMBERG NEWS | May 20, 2015 5:45 PM ET

Where’s Li Hejun?

That’s the question many were wondering when the founder, chairman and principle owner of Hanergy Thin Film Power Group Ltd. failed to show up at his company’s annual meeting Wednesday — the same day the company’s stock price tanked 47 per cent, wiping out US$19 billion in market value in 24 minutes.

Li’s absence was all the more noteworthy because over the past year he has tirelessly championed his vision of a new era of mobile energy: thin, flexible solar cells. They would soon, he promised, be plastered on just about everything: cars, backpacks, phones, tents, satellites, flashlights, buildings, lamps, drones and clothing.

The bulk of Hanergy’s technology portfolio remains unproven

http://business.financialpost.com/i...oses-us19b-in-market-value-in-just-24-minutes

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Natural Gas will not ALWAYS be cheap, In NE and other areas where pipeline capacity is limited it's actually quite expensive. We really need to go back to the regulated model where we had a mix of power sources and all operated with regulated returns. Then spot shortages of specific fuels do not cause massive market swings.
The great regulated market where any cost overruns by the monopoly utitities just get passed on to rate payers? Where do you think all those stranded costs came from? The regulated model was highly inefficient and ripe for abuse. The best solution is to keep the market de-regulated, but have a public utility commission and/or state legislature mandate a mix of fuel sources. This way the government is setting the mix but not deciding which specific plants are built or used. Let the market and the unregulated companies come up with the most efficient and economic plan to meet the set targets.

Doesn't really work with nuclear. We'll likely never see a non-regulated utility attempt to build a new nuclear plant. I've seen it once and it resulted in an epic failure and a huge write-off before the project ever got off the ground.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One thing that should be clarified. I'm assuming the 5MW quoted output is the maximum during ideal angle full sunlight. When looking at the percentage of WDW's power that this farm will produce, I think that is important.
If you were to put solar panels on your roof this is how they would figure out the size system you need. They will look at your annual electric usage and then design a system that based on projected sun shine at your location will produce that many KWHs over a year.

In the Disney example you would need to know both the amount of energy used in total by WDW in a year and the projected energy produced by the solar farm for a full year to get a more accurate percentage. Neither number is publicly available or at least I haven't found them.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I've got the solution right in my basement: SoWoT (S'load of Wildebeest on Treadmills). Since I've already done all the developmental work, I can tell you that a ratio of 23 wildebeest to 11 treadmills works best. If you discount the cost of wildebeest feed, treadmill maintenance, wildebeest damage, and the inconvenience of 14 times a day floor cleanups, all your energy will be free. I will impart some expertise at no cost to you. First, don't get a mixed gender herd. They don't seem very responsive to sex ed classes. Second, don't get an all male herd.....basement damage out the old wazoo to say the least. An all female herd is the way to go. I'll tell you how to get those ladies moving on the treadmill and how to wire your house if you subscribe to my to my "BPNL (Beest Power News Letter)."

Last edited:

Mouse_Trap

It's why the best bet for residential is someone like SolarCity who owns and maintains the panels and you sign a long term deal to buy power from them at a stated rate which is usually discounted from current utility rate. You have shifted the risk to SolarCity, The worst that can happen in that scenario is you have to go back to the utility for power.

I don't know if things are different in the US, but here in the UK this has been the model for most residential installations.

However here its caused a lot of trouble when the people who signed up come to sell the house. Sales have fallen through because of the charge on the title, or have reduced the sale price.

articos

Current peak demand for the property is presently just under 200 MW. There are 9 substations, with a cogenerating facility that aggregates 55,000 kW of net capability. I have no idea what any of that actually means. The utility lines run underground with World Drive from the Mickey pole.

RSoxNo1

I've got the solution right in my basement: SoWoT (S'load of Wildebeest on Treadmills). Since I've already done all the developmental work, I can tell you that a ratio of 23 wildebeest to 11 treadmills works best. If you discount the cost of wildebeest feed, treadmill maintenance, wildebeest damage, and the inconvenience of 14 times a day floor cleanups, all your energy will be free. I will impart some expertise at no cost to you. First, don't get a mixed gender herd. They don't seem very responsive to sex ed classes. Second, don't get an all male herd.....basement damage out the old wazoo to say the least. An all female herd is the way to go. I'll tell you how to get those ladies moving on the treadmill and how to wire your house if you subscribe to my to my "BPNL (Beest Power News Letter)."
I'm interested in purchasing a Wildebeest to work with my treadmill... are any available?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The great regulated market where any cost overruns by the monopoly utitities just get passed on to rate payers? Where do you think all those stranded costs came from? The regulated model was highly inefficient and ripe for abuse. The best solution is to keep the market de-regulated, but have a public utility commission and/or state legislature mandate a mix of fuel sources. This way the government is setting the mix but not deciding which specific plants are built or used. Let the market and the unregulated companies come up with the most efficient and economic plan to meet the set targets.

Doesn't really work with nuclear. We'll likely never see a non-regulated utility attempt to build a new nuclear plant. I've seen it once and it resulted in an epic failure and a huge write-off before the project ever got off the ground.

Well since deregulation the cost of power in constant dollars has gone up by 400% and grid reliability is approaching third world standards, and since there is no incentive to BUILD capacity only to price gouge there is no incentive to fix this as the generating companies driver is now to 'Maximize Shareholder Return' NOT 'Keep the Lights on no matter WHAT'

I've got a Kohler 20RZ on site which in years past would log more 'exercise' time than loaded time but so far this year we have about 10 days of runtime.

Yeah I think the old 'inefficient' days worked out better as a customer yeah 'Wall St was cut out of the deal except when construction bonds were needed.

Some things, Not many to be sure but some things do work out better in the aggregate under government control and/or regulation. Infrastructure being one of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom