SOFT OPENING WATCH - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Coaster

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I wish everyone on this forum was like you DoctorDisney. It would be a much better place! Thank you for your update. It's both honest and accurate!

Serious question for you. You have been railing against people who call themselves insiders and admonishing people for being sheep when they follow them. But here you praising someone who has only made a few posts here and claiming to have inside information (no offense to DoctorDisney). What criteria do you use to know who to trust and who not to? This is one of the big challenged of any message board, if you don't know people in person, how do you judge their credibility?

Jetdoctor

Disney has for years always had soft opening, even after some refurbishments. I know a number of parks that do soft opening including 6 flags and once as Sea World, but that was years and years ago with a log flume type ride.

I have dealt with complex and massive machines, namely, ships and manufacturing, Its silly to think you start/push the buttons for everything and do a few tests and everything works fine

This is not a indication of any problems, beyond the usual fine tuning and puttering, (maybe even last minute changes to the show/attraction) any machine of this size and complexity would require.

If their were any real problem, they would not have people on it.
Yep my wife and I rode splash mountain after refurb official opening wasn't scheduled to open for 2 more days. But I agree with most. It's Disney's ride they can do what ever they want.

AKK

Cesar R M

I do have a grin a bit here...............In this thread, the points are made that the crowds will be so
big and demanding the week before opening, it could be a big problem for Disney to handle!

Then there is another thread with a few folks knocking the whole attraction and people are just not interested anymore.

Just got to love forums!

AKK
it just shows that there are different sides of the same story.
There are people very interested in the ride, others that they think it was overhyped and they will see it when its done.
others already felt too "spoilered" by the leaks and videos that they are not 100% interested in the "kiddy train".

Serious question for you. You have been railing against people who call themselves insiders and admonishing people for being sheep when they follow them. But here you praising someone who has only made a few posts here and claiming to have inside information (no offense to DoctorDisney). What criteria do you use to know who to trust and who not to? This is one of the big challenged of any message board, if you don't know people in person, how do you judge their credibility?

You do not need to have a PhD in psychology to note and see how he only applauds posts that have the same mindset/opinion as him..
So, anyone who disagrees with him or as a critical view of disney = fake insider/fan/sheep
and at same time: anyone who has the same opinion than him or gives pro disney insight = insider and trusted.
Thats what I see after seeing his post tirades for a few weeks now.

(edit: also I'm pretty sure he is blocking EVERYONE who called him for his behaviour. He even banned me from watching his profile)

Last edited:

Obi

wow! Have some people here been infected by the katiebug101 virus? No soft opening when I am there? What!?! I demand that I get a personal ride by myself several times because Disney didn't have a soft opening. Oh, and I also deserve it, and know these things, because I am a travel agent.

Tonka's Skipper

That doesn't give you the true real world experience of real crowds. There wasn't some realization that soft openings could be done away with and anybody who thinks Disney has chosen to avoid soft openings is deluding themselves. Disney wants soft openings and if they do not occur it is because they ran out of time, not because they deliberately shunned them some time ago.

Question?............other then the lines, which Disney has vast experience in handling....How would M's be any different then guests riding in the cars?.

lazyboy97o

Question?............other then the lines, which Disney has vast experience in handling....How would M's be any different then guests riding in the cars?.
For one thing a specifically chosen group is going to be more attentive. There have been a lot of people watching go the trains to figure out how many are running and it seems this attraction might well have some tight cycle times. Cast Members will also not be representative of the number of children that will be involved in the process, be utilizing FastPass+ or have as many physical and mental disabilities. They did a month of soft openings for an onnimover, about as stable and known system as you can have in an attraction. Their last coaster with new tricks had months of soft openings.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

He clearly suffers from groupthink. The desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision-making outcome

Tonka's Skipper

For one thing a specifically chosen group is going to be more attentive. There have been a lot of people watching go the trains to figure out how many are running and it seems this attraction might well have some tight cycle times. Cast Members will also not be representative of the number of children that will be involved in the process, be utilizing FastPass+ or have as many physical and mental disabilities. They did a month of soft openings for an onnimover, about as stable and known system as you can have in an attraction. Their last coaster with new tricks had months of soft openings.

OK. the point about children and the surprises they would bring is well taken!

The others , I feel could be effectively imitated. They have been handling lines for a longtime and loading coaster trains for almost as long. Overall, I have to bow to your over all points. Real people/guests would make for better tests.

AKK

JoeT63

Just returned home after a great trip. The ride looks really good, but it was tough watching cast members cycle thru the queue and riding. Gotta tell ya too...when they waved at the crowd from the trains it felt a little like they were rubbing it in. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they were just being friendly, but that's kinda what it felt like. Oh well, I get to go about once every 15 years. I'll catch it next time.

Tonka's Skipper

I am guessing that this happens because there is more then one person on these boards and different people have different opinions. Don't really have the facts to back this but, but I suspect it's the case. ;)

I agree 2000, I just was pointing out the extremes of opinion. I know around here my feeling on the letters to be assigned to certainty attractions is not the most popular. As has been pointed out before, in the end, it realy doesn't matter, when we get there, the family will enjoy the attraction and WDW as always.

AKK

GoofGoof

Premium Member

With CMs when they don't do what you say and don't follow the rules you fire them. There is no such luxury with guests. The customer is always right:)

They could also use some time practicing with real guests with different needs (kids, guests using ride swap, people in wheelchairs, etc). It's not a matter of ride safety but more of getting the timing down. If there are no soft openings it won't be a big deal. They will just use the first few weeks after the grand opening to tweak things as needed. There is still about 3 weeks between grand opening and when the heavy summer crowds start at the end of June. Hopefully they work out the kinks by then.

NearTheEars

That doesn't give you the true real world experience of real crowds. There wasn't some realization that soft openings could be done away with and anybody who thinks Disney has chosen to avoid soft openings is deluding themselves. Disney wants soft openings and if they do not occur it is because they ran out of time, not because they deliberately shunned them some time ago.

Wouldn't soft openings be controlled too, just the CM ones are now? They won't get any real world experience until it opens. JMO.

lazyboy97o

Mermaids Omni is different to the traditional version of old. And suffers its own very unique problems.
And did they not see those problems a year prior in California?

Wouldn't soft openings be controlled too, just the CM ones are now? They won't get any real world experience until it opens. JMO.
They're less controlled than employees being brought in by invitation. That's why they too are typically graduated with the amount of time being open being increased. It's nice to at least have a few days of otherwise normal operation before that is the expectation.

wannab@dis

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Hahaha... wow. You want group think... look no further than the thread below and similar threads. Biggest examples of group think ever seen. Small group, but huge group think and anyone that differs is a troll.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/spirited-spring-break-news-observations-thoughts.882599/
Sorry if I my comment about your BFF offended you. Isnt referencing an entire thread exactly what he did the other day? You have taken it past groupthink and crossed into "mirroring". And I think anyone who has participated in a '74 thread for more than 2 pages would agree that they are far from a group of like minded individuals agreeing on everything. '74 is good at connecting the dots in corporate Disney to moves made at the parks and media level. People enjoy reading the information he presents. Even those that dont agree with him continue to participate in his threads after promising they would never return to them, even if just to troll. Just because they are called out on it doesnt mean its groupthink.

wannab@dis

Sorry if I my comment about your BFF offended you. Isnt referencing an entire thread exactly what he did the other day? You have taken it past groupthink and crossed into "mirroring". And I think anyone who has participated in a '74 thread for more than 2 pages would agree that they are far from a group of like minded individuals agreeing on everything. '74 is good at connecting the dots in corporate Disney to moves made at the parks and media level. People enjoy reading the information he presents. Even those that dont agree with him continue to participate in his threads after promising they would never return to them, even if just to troll. Just because they are called out on it doesnt mean its groupthink.
Again, you attempt to attack, but simply shine the light on how you and some of your ilk act. See, I told you the troll term would show up. I'm sure more of the group will be over soon to pile on. Wouldn't surprise me if PMs are being sent around to the echo chamber to get them involved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom