SOFT OPENING WATCH - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Coaster

GrumpyFan

Thanks for the update. Any info on dates when other park CM's can ride? Wonder if my leaders have any info yet....will have to check tonight.
CMs at the ride entrance were saying yesterday that other park CMs should watch their email for a notice starting Monday.
Also, a manager told us last night (Sat 5/17), that they proababl won't be doing any soft openings. Not sure how reliable, so take it for it's worth.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yes..internally. They are never announced publicly, but they are planned internally. And nothing has been planned. CM load and unload testing continues. It is still a training period, and CMs will be riding exclusively for this training. It amazes me how many people cannot grasp this concept, and question constantly why they can't ride. It is because the attraction doesn't open to the public until May 28. View attachment 54041

It's understandable because people have gotten used to soft opening happening before the official opening day.

wannab@dis

It's understandable because people have gotten used to soft opening happening before the official opening day.
Could we be seeing the start of a new procedure?

An opening range (such as spring) during construction, then the setting of an opening date for general guests. No more soft opens, previews, etc. Makes sense and takes away the whole "scheduled my vacation around soft open rumors and now I'm disappointed cause it wasn't running today."

lazyboy97o

Yes..internally. They are never announced publicly, but they are planned internally. And nothing has been planned. CM load and unload testing continues. It is still a training period, and CMs will be riding exclusively for this training. It amazes me how many people cannot grasp this concept, and question constantly why they can't ride. It is because the attraction doesn't open to the public until May 28. View attachment 54041
People question it because not having soft openings is not normal industry practice and is only more evidence that the attraction has encountered issues causing a later than expected opening. Soft openings are not some special treat. They are very real part of the training process and have benefits not available when access is strictly limited.

Tonka's Skipper

Disney has for years always had soft opening, even after some refurbishments. I know a number of parks that do soft opening including 6 flags and once as Sea World, but that was years and years ago with a log flume type ride.

I have dealt with complex and massive machines, namely, ships and manufacturing, Its silly to think you start/push the buttons for everything and do a few tests and everything works fine

This is not a indication of any problems, beyond the usual fine tuning and puttering, (maybe even last minute changes to the show/attraction) any machine of this size and complexity would require.

If their were any real problem, they would not have people on it.

AKK

TRONorail12

Could we be seeing the start of a new procedure?

An opening range (such as spring) during construction, then the setting of an opening date for general guests. No more soft opens, previews, etc. Makes sense and takes away the whole "scheduled my vacation around soft open rumors and now I'm disappointed cause it wasn't running today."

I think you are spot on with your comments. It doesn't matter who the guest is, everyone thinks that because they paid to come to Disney World, they are all of a sudden entitled to a soft opening. Disney doesn't have to do anything for the public if they don't want to. The date has been announced and they have more than enough CM's to test. The CM's working the ride are not rookies in attractions, they are pre-selected specifically for this ride and most have plenty of experience on how to handle any type of guest situation. As the ride opens, procedures are bound to change, but that happens over time and most stuff you won't find out in a few days of soft openings. Having a set date does eliminate a lot of confusion as to when guests can officially access the ride, so there is no ground for guest complaints about not being able to ride. If it doesn't open on the 28th, then guests can complain all they want. As far as AP and DVC is concerned, I think Disney is fed up with the whole entitlement mentality, especially after what happened with the rest of New Fantasyland. All in all, I wouldn't be shocked if guest soft openings were extremely scaled back or completely eliminated all together for the Mine Train.

lazyboy97o

Disney has for years always had soft opening, even after some refurbishments. I know a number of parks that do soft opening including 6 flags and once as Sea World, but that was years and years ago with a log flume type ride.

I have dealt with complex and massive machines, namely, ships and manufacturing, Its silly to think you start/push the buttons for everything and do a few tests and everything works fine

This is not a indication of any problems, beyond the usual fine tuning and puttering, (maybe even last minute changes to the show/attraction) any machine of this size and complexity would require.

If their were any real problem, they would not have people on it.

AKK
Issues that would delay the anticipated opening are not necessarily ones that would impact safety. Again, soft opening are not a special treat or an early full time opening. They are a standard part of the test and adjust process. Not holding soft openings is a case of pushing the button and hoping all goes well the first time because there is little experience with real world demands.

Bigart

It has to do with the schedule. It was supposed to open earlier in the calendar year, prep ran long, expected opening was stalled, rescheduled, and the training is not complete. There has been a history of eased openings on other attractions obviously, but it should never be demanded or expected. Social media probably also plays a small part..they don't want a sudden mob frenzy if someone posts that they are open.

lazyboy97o

It has to do with the schedule. It was supposed to open earlier in the calendar year, prep ran long, expected opening was stalled, rescheduled, and the training is not complete. There has been a history of eased openings on other attractions obviously, but it should never be demanded or expected. Social media probably also plays a small part..they don't want a sudden mob frenzy if someone posts that they are open.
You get that frenzy on opening day regardless. Part of what soft openings offer is experience in handling that frenzy.

Bigart

The opposite. Everyone knows what day it is opening. Sure demand will be heavy opening week, but they will be prepared for it. They don't want a situation they are not prepared for, where word spreads that there is limited pre-riding and they are overrun by a mob that may not even get a shot. Without instant internet and cell communication, this was not a fear before. Actually the argument is moot, as there are not going to be any soft openings in this case anyway.

Disneyson

It is fully staffed for the 24 hour event...

As an outsider, I can see this happening for Disney Parks Blog coverage, "as a special surprise for guests at the Rock Your Disney Side Party, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train opened for select hours..." Etc. I can't imagine that they'd want/need to train cast members at three in the morning. And that day's going to be busy regardless.

DoctorDisney

There are tons...TONS of rumors still flying around and we are a mere 10 days from grand opening. From what I've heard - again, nothing is concrete, but this comes from CMs, Imagineers, and reliable sources I have - a lot of what has already been said is spot on.

As of May 17, CM previews are set to continue for at least 7-8 days. Non-MK CMs should check their emails and the hub online starting Monday for updates of when they could possibly get their chance.

While a soft opening for guests is not out of the question - 24-hour day or not - it has been said in many inside circles that the "soft opening" testing is primarily being done by the CMs. Kind of makes sense to me.

Why people believe that Disney owes them anything is beyond me. The sense of entitlement that people get because they pay for a park ticket is astounding and ridiculous.

I'm going to be heading to MK every day this week to keep an eye on things and do some work sitting somewhere. Will update if I see anything.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why people believe that Disney owes them anything is beyond me. The sense of entitlement that people get because they pay for a park ticket is astounding and ridiculous.

I agree with this completely. It applies to cast members too. Why do people think that they have to make sure all CMs who want to ride get a turn before the public? The ride will open when it opens and it has nothing to do with what anyone wants.

Tonka's Skipper

Issues that would delay the anticipated opening are not necessarily ones that would impact safety. Again, soft opening are not a special treat or an early full time opening. They are a standard part of the test and adjust process. Not holding soft openings is a case of pushing the button and hoping all goes well the first time because there is little experience with real world demands.

True, but the could very easily make up for few or no soft openings but extra CM's testing is safety is not a issue.

AKK

Tonka's Skipper

I do have a grin a bit here...............In this thread, the points are made that the crowds will be so
big and demanding the week before opening, it could be a big problem for Disney to handle!

Then there is another thread with a few folks knocking the whole attraction and people are just not interested anymore.

Just got to love forums!

AKK

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I do have a grin a bit here...............In this thread, the points are made that the crowds will be so
big and demanding the week before opening, it could be a big problem for Disney to handle!

Then there is another thread with a few folks knocking the whole attraction and people are just not interested anymore.

Just got to love forums!

AKK

I am guessing that this happens because there is more then one person on these boards and different people have different opinions. Don't really have the facts to back this but, but I suspect it's the case. ;)

lazyboy97o

True, but the could very easily make up for few or no soft openings but extra CM's testing is safety is not a issue.

AKK
That doesn't give you the true real world experience of real crowds. There wasn't some realization that soft openings could be done away with and anybody who thinks Disney has chosen to avoid soft openings is deluding themselves. Disney wants soft openings and if they do not occur it is because they ran out of time, not because they deliberately shunned them some time ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom