SOFT OPENING WATCH - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Coaster

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This quickly? It's been 33 months!

Digging deeper I've found there are indeed measurement and tolerance issues. They will be fixed. But not cheaply. And the errors will need to be accounted for.

Not cheap sounds like it will take a while to fix. Any idea or estimate on time? Is the media riding on May 2nd in jeopardy at this point?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The foundation under it can. Not saying that is definitely what happened, just saying settling of the foundation is possible.

Also, while in theory the track can't settle per se, it can react differently depending on different factors. Weight distribution in the RV's, temperature etc. If coaster tracks were built completely rigid they would crack in fairly short order.

Just like buildings sway due to wind loading, coaster tracks also have some flexibility.

They just started to test with the cars on the tracks very recently. That they almost soft opened this quickly is nothing short of amazing. They have come along way since Test Track.

I have always gone to Tom when I have had construction questions, but I think I might start consulting you since you seem to have a lot more knowledge of these sorts of things. How long have you been in the business? ;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm sure everything is being done to have the media ride at the event, but remember it is a media event. Not an opening. Technically they don't have to ride although the ensuing bad press would suggest otherwise.

RMichael21

Maybe one of the reasons Disney is not getting very frantic about the Mine Train not soft opening is publicity. Think about it. The more people who talk about it for a longer period of time, the more likely other people are to hear about this new ride at Walt Disney World. This turns into better cash flow that goes directly to improving MyMagic+. :rolleyes:

Cesar R M

Do you know if there is any "intelligence" in the ride vehicles themselves, or do they rely 100% on physics for their movement control?

It would have made sense if the vehicles held a battery charge and could have internal electromechanics that could throttle the swinging and even lock the cars down when approaching a lift or platform, to ensure they're in the correct position.

Never from the beginning did I think that they could let these cars free-swing AND be able to keep them perfectly vertical when approaching something like load/unload.
agree, or something as simple as a "switch" in the track that makes the carts return to standard position and lock them.

Can I reserve my loss of limb 45 days in advance?
Only if you buy an overpriced signature disney brand dinning package + limb loss insurance.

People didn't ride this thing...actors did.
so, actors are suddenly robots? ;)

Cesar R M

This quickly? It's been 33 months!

Digging deeper I've found there are indeed measurement and tolerance issues. They will be fixed. But not cheaply. And the errors will need to be accounted for.
do you think that heads will roll??
I'm no ride expert in any way whatsoever. Physics are a mystery to me. Clearance taking into account weight and velocity...the heck do I know?

BUT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!! What's wrong with WDI these days??? They build a new Dumbo spinner, and the elephant's bellies drag on the ground!!! (The old one is just fine, apparently, built back in the late 1960's...guess the fellas who built that still had the Fear of Walt in them, eh?) And of course the much-mentioned broken Yeti, that TDO hasn't made the slightest gesture towards fixing, and now this Mine Train embarrassment. Does Disney think it can forever get away with this stuff? Does it not understand the internet? This is lame!!!! People should get fired over this. What's the issue here? Iger-era nickel-and-dime-ing? What????

but is this problem of WDI? or the subcontractors in charge of building and installing what WDI designs?

lazyboy97o

Maybe one of the reasons Disney is not getting very frantic about the Mine Train not soft opening is publicity. Think about it. The more people who talk about it for a longer period of time, the more likely other people are to hear about this new ride at Walt Disney World. This turns into better cash flow that goes directly to improving MyMagic+. :rolleyes:
The point of soft openings is to give the operating team a chance to practice under a more real world scenario. People expect the growing pains to be passed by the time of official opening.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The point of soft openings is to give the operating team a chance to practice under a more real world scenario. People expect the growing pains to be passed by the time of official opening.
And since there has been no announcement of an Official Opening, I still don't understand why people are getting worked up over this.

It has not been ridden by the public at all.

DisneyJoe

So you are saying the media wasn't supposed to ride the ride at all? I think that has been the speculation around here for a while, but you could be right.
Dinner is 90 minutes, dedication is 15 minutes. If there was a ride anywhere, it would be during dinner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom