Social Media Conference Coming to WDW ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
WOW! "I'd rather stick needles in my eyes" to quote the great Jack Nicholson.

Me too ... but I'd love to hang out and 'grab' some of these 'highly intelligent' and VERY 'well paid' folks to discuss the subjects when the exit their seminars.

Anyone want to bet that Disney has an incredibly high level of security for an event of this type?

articos

However, this is a win/win as far as Disney's concerned. Sponsor a conference that takes place on the property, you sell hotel rooms, park tickets, food, merchandise, etc., not only for the attendees but for the family members who come with, plus you get good pr and convention facilities fees out of the conference.

WDW1974

Original Poster
However, this is a win/win as far as Disney's concerned. Sponsor a conference that takes place on the property, you sell hotel rooms, park tickets, food, merchandise, etc., not only for the attendees but for the family members who come with, plus you get good pr and convention facilities fees out of the conference.

It's more of a win-win because the whole group/conference exists to justify the growing desire by companies like Disney to attract Social Media/Social Networking platforms and the Disney Social Media team is sponsoring an event where the conclusions of everyone in attendance are already known and fit with the direction the company has opted to take ...

I think I'll make a copy of this post because even though there's nothing untrue being said above, I can see it disappearing.

TalkingHead

That site is fascinating and creepy at the same time.

The most telling statement on that page is found in the list "You will learn how to" -- "Identify escalating crises on social networks and control them fast."

Because we all know controling the message is more important than improving the product you're selling.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That site is fascinating and creepy at the same time.

The most telling statement on that page is found in the list "You will learn how to" -- "Identify escalating crises on social networks and control them fast."

Because we all know controling the message is more important than improving the product you're selling.

Of course it is. It's all about CONTROL. Disney hates when it loses any of it ... have you ever watched them scramble when you witness a fistfight at WDW and they want your camera/videos?

My favorite part is they don't even know what Disney exec will be their headline speaker ... wonder if that has anything to do with upcoming exec shuffles.

Oh, and on a personal note, I feel very badly that I missed the quail tile restrooms on this trip. I hope they remain a while longer. But those new PoC ones are wonderful. Too bad the ride isn't in as good a shape as those toilets, urinals and sinks!

TalkingHead

Of course it is. It's all about CONTROL. Disney hates when it loses any of it ... have you ever watched them scramble when you witness a fistfight at WDW and they want your camera/videos?

My favorite part is they don't even know what Disney exec will be their headline speaker ... wonder if that has anything to do with upcoming exec shuffles.

Oh, and on a personal note, I feel very badly that I missed the quail tile restrooms on this trip. I hope they remain a while longer. But those new PoC ones are wonderful. Too bad the ride isn't in as good a shape as those toilets, urinals and sinks!

Glad you had a good trip. Too bad about the quail tiles, but at least we're getting the Tangled E-ticket restroom...as if such a thing exists.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Glad you had a good trip. Too bad about the quail tiles, but at least we're getting the Tangled E-ticket restroom...as if such a thing exists.

And wanna bet there will be bloggers staking out the area daily waiting for those new facilities to open up.

If I were in control of Disney Social Media, first thing I'd do is not allow the loitering that these folks who visit 5-6-7 days a week are doing. It isn't normal. It isn't healthy for either Disney, its guests or the people doing it. And they really come off as creepers.

janoimagine

Anyone here want to pay $1,100 to hear folks pretend they know what they are talking about?

http://store.ragan.com/ProductDetai...8A1F9FA27EA225E6B&promo=219854344611&grfr=Yes
Whats funny is the average age of these people is probably 45 (and I think I am low-balling here) ... I would rather listen to a much younger panel ... who really know what they are talking about, than some overpaid exec's, keep Cirone, Penagos, Bepko and ditch the rest.

However ... maybe I could talk my boss into paying for this and get a free trip out of it ... you never know.

janoimagine

@tomman710 Shocked??? ;) Personally I think the relationship between bloggers, (some of who post here) and Disney social media is a joke ... it's nothing more than perceived gratuity ... their kings of their own little world, but in the big picture are nobodies.

maxairmike

Sorry Spirit, don't see the connection on this one. Maybe I have my "blinders" on since this is an area I've worked in (and still do on a personal basis, to some degree), but I don't see what Disney is "pushing." The conference is just being held at a Disney location with a speaker or two as well (likely because the conference asked them to, not because Disney's trying to "push" something). Do I think the treatment that many Disney bloggers and social media "whores" get is ridiculous? Yeah, it does make me chuckle or induce a slight tic at times, and I would be one of the first to say Disney is getting it "right" while also getting it completely "wrong."

Also, I'd like to add, it appears you're one of the detractors of social media that is never going to change their view; however from where I've sat and currently sit, I've seen a lot of movement from the consumer side that makes social media a must for most companies. It appears it is "doomed" to be one of those decisive business concepts for at least another generation (a bad thing from my view).

wiigirl

WOW! "I'd rather stick needles in my eyes" to quote the great Jack Nicholson.

Lol...I am with you... :p
75.gif

lazyboy97o

Sorry Spirit, don't see the connection on this one. Maybe I have my "blinders" on since this is an area I've worked in (and still do on a personal basis, to some degree), but I don't see what Disney is "pushing." The conference is just being held at a Disney location with a speaker or two as well (likely because the conference asked them to, not because Disney's trying to "push" something).
The event is being sponsored by DisneyParks.

maxairmike

Ehhh...I still don't see this as them "pushing" anything, they just get their name attached to a big conference. If Disney were actually hosting and providing the majority of speakers for it, I could maybe see Spirit's angle. What if it were being sponsored by any other park/resort with large conference space? Its a non-issue in my book.

SyracuseOrange

@tomman710 Shocked??? ;) Personally I think the relationship between bloggers, (some of who post here) and Disney social media is a joke ... it's nothing more than perceived gratuity ... their kings of their own little world, but in the big picture are nobodies.

My personal favorite bloggers (again some of who post here) are the ones I gave some tips and advice too based on some of my better 'nighttime show' images ... then they went off and wrote and e-book that they are now selling without giving credit to who helped them out in the first place. Now thats just plain classy. :D

But I digress.
I know who you're talking about :)

And while I understand most people on this board have a deep, inner hatred for social media, I must defend my profession (yes, I get paid to tweet.) It can drive business goals, especially with a travel/entertainment brand like Disney. There's a reason they are pumping money & time into this. (That being said, I got a media pass to a fancy Disney event in another country, and the way they treated the mommy-bloggers there was shocking and unnecessarily expensive.)

And, to get back on thread topic, this is hardly news. Social media conferences happen at Disney all the time. Mashable (perhaps the most famous social media blog turned major news site) holds their biggest conference in WDW every year (and charges a pretty three thousand dollars to attend.)

wannab@dis

It's a conference at Disney - hardly anything ground breaking as they occur across property every day. There are many "social media" conferences out there for you to attend. Some happen at Disney and some are sponsored by Disney. It's hilarious to watch the same few that complain about anything and everything hyperventilate over something like this. Oh, by the way, the $1100 fee is in line, if not low, for a conference dealing with internet related topics.

For someone who hates social media so much, '74 sure loves to use it (this site) to spread his agenda and attack people he doesn't like by name while doing so anonymously.

SyracuseOrange

It's a conference at Disney - hardly anything ground breaking as they occur across property every day. There are many "social media" conferences out there for you to attend. Some happen at Disney and some are sponsored by Disney. It's hilarious to watch the same few that complain about anything and everything hyperventilate over something like this. Oh, by the way, the $1100 fee is in line, if not low, for a conference dealing with internet related topics.

For someone who hates social media so much, '74 sure loves to use it (this site) to spread his agenda and attack people he doesn't like by name while doing so anonymously.

hehe. I love people on this site who bash social media...because...this site is social media ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom