Social Media Conference Coming to WDW ...

maxairmike

What exactly is my 'angle'?

I'm trying to figure that out. I have an opinion regarding the way WDW Co. handles its Social Media Department, and I have lots of info that I can toss out to back up that opinion.

I started this thread because somene passed on the info on the convention and I thought it was interesting.

It seemed from your wording (specifically the few posts following the original post) that you were trying to imply that Disney was using this as a way to promote their social media platform and strategies exclusively, instead of just pointing out that there's a social media conference happening on property (which isn't noteworthy to begin with anyway).

As to your response to SyracuseOrange, I'll answer from my previous job. I'd like to think that I (or the other 3 people in our small Community Development department) was anything but slimy or dirty in doing my job, seeing as I was doing it for a branch of a nationally respected, and long tenured non-profit organization. Yes, I was paid to tweet, post Facebook statuses to our Page, and a myriad of other things related to social media. However, tweeting/Facebook statuses are likely as small a part of his job as it was in mine. My title should have been, based on how most of my time was spent, Social Media Developer/Programer. Although, I did get paid to go to our camp and do a video of the new zip line we put in that year, which was easily the most fun day I had working. As for what I specifically tweeted about, well I don't wish to get any more obvious and give up who I am that easily, but...things such as health topics, fundraising events, branch closures, etc. Yes, real, important content to the community I served.

wdwfan22

Wannabe, I don't hate social media. It has great value. I see it being misused by TWDC and at great cost and that's forgetting the negative implications of them getting into bed with some very low character individuals.

I don't have an 'agenda' ... if you think I do, I'd love to hear what you think it is.

I am not a public figure, much like you wannabe. I don't have a blog. I don't ask Disney for anything beyond what I pay for. ... I am not comparable (THANK GOD!) to any of these folks, nor would I wish to be.

When is the last time you paid for anything at Disney? If I recall correctly you are always stating you get your admission for free from your friends who happen to work for the mouse. It's really no different then Disney paying for others to get in free.

WDW1974

Original Poster
When is the last time you paid for anything at Disney? If I recall correctly you are always stating you get your admission for free from your friends who happen to work for the mouse. It's really no different then Disney paying for others to get in free.

The last time I paid for something at WDW would have been Saturday when I had lunch at the WL and then bought some goodies to go home at DD's Candy Cauldron.

You're too quick to jump to assumptions. I NEVER get in WDW for free. I have had an AP since EPCOT opened in 1982. So, Disney has done pretty good with me. ... I do have friends who walk in other friends and family and did so on this last trip and I appreciate that (of course, my family barely wants to go for free as they also remember how much better WDW used to be and they don't have the pull to return that I still do!)

I spent plenty at WDW last week. Much on alcohol so the place would actually feel more MAGICal than it is!

And admission is nothing. Disney hands out comps like they're confetti. Why do you think that free admission is touted when hiring folks at $7.55 an hour as part of the Disney Difference?

When I talk about Disney giving freebies to bloggers/podcasters/webmasters, I'm talking about free airline flights, free resort rooms, free cruises, free dining, gifts etc etc. ... Totally different than a free walk-in to a park.

nytimez

It seemed from your wording (specifically the few posts following the original post) that you were trying to imply that Disney was using this as a way to promote their social media platform and strategies exclusively, instead of just pointing out that there's a social media conference happening on property (which isn't noteworthy to begin with anyway).

From the site: "hear first-hand from our hosts at Disney Parks—from execs to communicators—who will tell you how they achieved social media success."

Maybe they're not promoting their social media platform and strategies "exclusively," but it's not simply a conference that happens to happening on property, either.

maxairmike

From the site: "hear first-hand from our hosts at Disney Parks—from execs to communicators—who will tell you how they achieved social media success."

Maybe they're not promoting their social media platform and strategies "exclusively," but it's not simply a conference that happens to happening on property, either.

Yeah, but look at the speaker lineup, I see one spot to be filled by a Disney exec, and I think there was another Disney person in one of the other tracks. Two Disney speakers, the rest are all from other companies. Disney's business profile and reputation are a major draw, which is why they can command $800+ per ticket prices when Disney Institute events come to a town (and students can go for the super low price of $375!). Even if there's really only one or two Disney speakers out of 10+, that can boost the value, and thus the price you can ask, for a conference. I'd be surprised if a lot of the major business conferences that happen on property don't have anyone from Disney involved in a presentation. Does that mean they're trying to do anything more than host a conference with all those others? Of course not, and I see no reason to think they're doing anything more here.

SyracuseOrange

I bolded what was a very key point. You get PAID to Tweet. I have no idea about what. And I doubt you'll tell anyone here what it is (which again speaks to the dirty, slimy way that social media is being used/abused by many companies).

What if people get paid to post here? What if Disney has someone who is paid to derail every serious discussion here that paints Disney in an unfavorable light? You must notice how serious intellectual debate often gets buried by one or two individuals. What if every post puts another $100 into their bank account?

You attended a DLP (assuming here, but based on how Disney handles social media and controls it in Paris, unlike HK or Tokyo, I think I'm right) event for free where you watched them pay off Mommy Bloggers? And even as a paid '' (sorry, just using the old dictionary for the defininition), you found Disney's efforts excessive?
Well, so do I here in the USA.

The money being spent and the freebies being lavished on nobodies with blogs is simply astounding and it is bad business. It isn't growing new guests, new audiences. It is preaching to the choir and throwing large sums of money away in doing so. Yes, in case you wondered, I'd fire almost everyone at Celebration Place and start from scratch.
Ok, first of all calm down. I get paid to run the social media presence of a tech startup in San Francisco, but soon I'm moving to NYC to run a quick service restaurant's social media presence. I don't get paid to tweet from my personal account, I have a marketing career that takes advantages of new platforms and tools - perhaps my wording was off.

And it wasn't a Disneyland Paris event, it was a Disney event in the city of London, run by people out of the Burbank offices. American mommy bloggers were flown out to London just for an event that lasted a few hours. I happened to be in London and write occasionally for a Disney fan blog, so that blog owner asked if I could get a pass - I didn't receive anything else. I am not a "paid " as you so lovingly called me.

I agree that they are lavishing a little too much on too many people, but part of what they are doing is smart.

This debate happens all too frequently on these boards (just like every other issue,) but there's no need to personally attack people for what they do for a living.

asianway

Question for any IRS agents: if I create a "blog" and call it my "business" would I be able to deduct all my Disney trips, airfare, hotel, food, booze, & tickets on my personal tax returns even though I may not be a "going concern"?

nytimez

Question for any IRS agents: if I create a "blog" and call it my "business" would I be able to deduct all my Disney trips, airfare, hotel, food, booze, & tickets on my personal tax returns even though I may not be a "going concern"?

Technically, your Web site would be a business with income and expenses (even if you operate it under your personal name, as many small businesses and sole proprietorships are). If you can't show income from it, then you'd have nothing to deduct the expenses from.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Self employees can have negative net which are losses that will reduce his own tax liability. When self employed, your biz tax liability is not separate from your personal liability.

As for deducting trips, I haven't looked at the splits.. But in general you can only deduct expenses that are pure biz related and biz exclusive.

It's a great way to invite an audit

DisneyJoe

As for deducting trips, I haven't looked at the splits.. But in general you can only deduct expenses that are pure biz related and biz exclusive.

It all boils down to having the proper and complete documentation that the IRS requires. If I travel to a Disney conference for my agency, and my wife and son travel with me, as long as I document all meals and other expenses and keep the personal separate from the business, there is no problem.

(I have also formed an LLC and I keep all personal and business funds separate, which helps greatly)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
You already have one don't you?

Clever Name

The real problem I have found with social media types is that they seem to be perpetually cold calling everyone they contact. They SPAM any and all prospects no matter the subject. I can tell you that I have had to block and/or redirect several members that post on this forum because they've become pests. They seem to be desparate for business and use the Internet to flood the web with their message. In that sense they are much like street walkers looking for business.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ok, first of all calm down. I get paid to run the social media presence of a tech startup in San Francisco, but soon I'm moving to NYC to run a quick service restaurant's social media presence. I don't get paid to tweet from my personal account, I have a marketing career that takes advantages of new platforms and tools - perhaps my wording was off.

I'm perfectly calm already. I had a week's plus worth of Pixie Dust and booze (and that was after hanging out at DLR between Emmy events over 12 days). As you've described your role now, it seems like you're one of those individuals who is leveraging social media expressly for your employer. That is very different than what I am speaking of. Unless I'm mistaken, you aren't masking your role at your company (and won't be at your new company) to those followers of your products/services. That's VERY different from what Disney is doing. They are dealing in deception and spin. ... I just was forwarded a post from the DisBoards (won't post it here because I have no idea what the rules are regarding it) by old pal Merfie who took a blogger to task as apparently Disney Social Media included a very large group of bloggers/podcasters/webmasters in 'secret research tours' of Fantasyland's new venues last week and told them when the area would soft open (so they could be there), but demanded that they not release it to their followers.

And it wasn't a Disneyland Paris event, it was a Disney event in the city of London, run by people out of the Burbank offices. American mommy bloggers were flown out to London just for an event that lasted a few hours. I happened to be in London and write occasionally for a Disney fan blog, so that blog owner asked if I could get a pass - I didn't receive anything else. I am not a "paid " as you so lovingly called me.

That's amazing really. They're flylng Mommys from Jersey, Iowa and LA to London now?!?! Seriously, what exactly were they whoring? What was the product? Did you blog about it? And I appreciate your honesty and openness thus far. Most social media folks want to hide under rocks, which again speaks to the way the business is today.

I agree that they are lavishing a little too much on too many people, but part of what they are doing is smart.

Using social media is smart. Doing what Disney has done, isn't. I see no gains at all. ... I'll repeat something that got me in all sorts of hot water last year on another Disney place, but have you seen these people??! Seriously?!?! These are the people Disney needs to pander to?

This debate happens all too frequently on these boards (just like every other issue,) but there's no need to personally attack people for what they do for a living.

It wasn't meant as an attack. I have a VERY low opinion (earned, I guarantee you) of most folks working in social media today.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The real problem I have found with social media types is that they seem to be perpetually cold calling everyone they contact. They SPAM any and all prospects no matter the subject. I can tell you that I have had to block and/or redirect several members that post on this forum because they've become pests. They seem to be desparate for business and use the Internet to flood the web with their message. In that sense they are much like street walkers looking for business.

I love reading the Tweets when there's an event. And seeing who is invited and who isn't and how Disney gives more to some and much more to others ... and there are constant ing matches.

It is a lot of fun to see what sort of crazies Disney has opened itself up to in a very misguided attempt of controlling the message.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom